In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Today is a day we honor the dead in the US, of those that have served. Today is not a happy day. It's not necessarily a sad day. It's just a day of remembrance.
I served 15 years. I started as field artillery and ended as a medic. I fortunately never lost anyone in combat. I've lost three to their own demons and one that was very sick and decided to go out of his own terms.
I remember them:
MSG Rogers
SFC Lozano
CPL Simmons
SPC Springman
For those that have served and lost brothers and sisters, raise a glass in remembrance.
Remember, all of us who have served with them and called them “brothers and sisters,” who depended upon their strength and comfort and relied upon them; surely they have not forsaken you.