Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Boycott the Pawnshop/DPs

Started by SleepIsForWeak [2579797] on in General Discussion.

95 replies · 2.08k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 96 / 96 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Lohkee [2549042]

This has taken the bottom out of new player income and long term trading. I'm reconsindering my subscription.

AlleywayJack [2365488]

04:11:09 - 31/05/24 You canceled your annual PayPal subscription

 

You have been credited with 75 points and one month of donator status. Thank you!

 

04:13:11- 31/05/24 You canceled your annual PayPal subscription

 

 

Cancelled and then resubbed purely so I could cancel again.

 That will show them.

Euphoria [1443076] Wiki Contributor

From an economical viewpoint the move makes sense, given racket point drops and increasing amount of noobs flying mixed w RW point drops, but I personally would've reduced pawn value rather than fully removed it.

 

That being said it's nothing new to release changes w no notice, it's probs best way to do it sometimes. Hence the term chedded, never overcommit to any one aspect of the game or you risk it happening :)

Korten [290467]

Right, so you supported something worse for the game because you benefitted from it, and now you're just whining because your bottom dollar has been affected.

 

They're trying to get a handle on the economy, be glad they've actually nutted up and turned a tap off.

 

 

All this effort to generate outrage... Don't forget to review bomb next! Really put that hollow activism to the test.

Zanz [2830805]

I wholeheartedly support a complete halt of DP purchases and subscriptions due to this dumbest of dumb decisions I've seen in this game.

 

I thought releasing chat 2.0 just before Halloween was the height of cheds stupidity but boy was I wrong. 

 

 

MrNoggins [2741991]

If there were no DPs and sub cost 2x Id pay the sub.

 

My bottom dollar is not hurt much by this took an 80m loss my grievance is the fact that it's damaged my game experience which is what I'm here for. 

 

Like i said I support the change for the economy but don't support the damage it did to my experience.

Cthulhu [1616063]

"When was flying or selling points "fun" in a way that it isn't now?"

 

Lol considering how many threads there have been about how boring flying is... it is kind of ironic.

 

MrNoggins [2741991]

Touché

 

Ironically i justified my dp purchases because i was behind due to lots of work which consequently gave me a lot of disposable income so touch grass still led to torn guess im an addict

Neliex [2857538]

You never paid a cent to support the game in any way and you play it for 4 years, yet you call for others to pause paying in any way. 

 

On other hand your Donator Packs came from those ppl that actually did pay.

 

And while I do understand where this is coming from I don't think you are the right person to do this call.

 

 I wonder If your donators went out today, would you buy new one for Torn $$$ or would you boycott by playing with 100 energy.

 

Cheds decision for not giving heads up on this before museum day is biggest issue here. The second would be new players income which we still can't tell how much will lower due to fall of Point prices.

 

We will find eventually if this move was any good or complete disaster. They don"t know it either, they are assuming it will  be good for game. 

SugarPlumDeb [2114298]

You are a RectumRaider and you want the rectum to bleed Our  eyes too. Ads. 

 

At least the 5minutes one we could wipe the blood off our butts. 

Korten [290467]

They would have an educated idea, they can see how many points are being sold to the pawn shop.

They also have historic data from when the issue was less severe.

SleepIsForWeak [2579797]

edit: This was meant to quote https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=2&t=16402048&b=0&a=0&start=20&to=24799096 but Torn is fumky and decided to not let me do that. 

 

I pointed out that we have enough of a supply of DPs to last 3 months, which will likely be unnecessary. 

 

I may not be the right person to make this call, but as no one else did, I said "f**k it" and made this post. 

 

If my Donator status ran out right now, I would buy a DP from the player market. As I said, we have plenty of DPs circulating, and many players have months stacked up. 

 

You are definitely right in this isn't an issue economy-wise, in fact, I think this would be a good change overall. The primary issue is the sudden lack of transparency in such a market-defining way, not even mentioning this change in the Announcements. I have edited my original post to reflect this, as I reread it and it does look like I'm more upset about the economic impact :)

Mentions: Boycott the Pawnshop/DPs

DrCyanide [2696029]

For all the proponents of this change (probably most of them rolling in old money), it doesn't change that it was a dick move.  A dick move in a series of dick moves by Chedburn.  f**k him.

I was a subscriber.  As of June 11th I no longer will be.  My subscription is already cancelled.  Without some serious remedy/apology I will not be re-instating my subscription.  I suspect that will be permanent because the top staff of this game are genuine douchebags.  So be it.  I spent like few others did before me, I am sure of that.  But that will never happen again.  My game growth will slow, and I will commonly let my cooldowns lapse, but I will not spend another dime.  I am sure there are many with the same sentiment.  The game will become less competitive for newer players, less compelling.  This game will slowly fade and die because of dumbass decisions and misplaced pride in the top management.  Your legacy will be that you were too stupid to be anything but assholes.

Broxogar [2728258]

I know it really really sucks (as someone who also got caught holding a lot of points).

But I completely understand why they didn't announce it.  People like us that were holding lots of points would have just instantly dumped them only making the issue worse.

You can still sell your points for a profit if you did a museum day exchange right now and for only slightly less than the pawnshop.

Just don't panic sell is my only advice.

MrNoggins [2741991]

I understand why but i also disagree.

I am hesitent to believe a one off sell off would spiral the games economy when we already have one of those a year with minimal knock on impacts

MurderInc [2948421]

Don't forget to ask to be refunded your money for your subscription. The terms are quite clear . Ched you destroyed your game.  

 

 

 

JustJanet [911066]

I don't fly for points. I buy them from the points market and while I suspect the price will go down because of more availability, I also suspect the price will not be as drastically changed as some seem to suspect. I also suspect once costs for other items are impacted we'll see that the actual value ends up very close to what they were before the change.  If in the long run you are able to have the same purchase power will it truly matter? 

 

 

Inflation is a problem everyone is affected by so why not stop catastrophizing every change and just give it time to see how it impacts things?  Changes always seem drastic at first but things level off. 

I do agree that some sort of warning should have happened but the actual change is a good idea. Given time I'm confident more and more of us will see it wasn't as bad as calling for an organized ban on buying from Ched. 

GenShinigami [2664617] Reporter

Sleep, you know I love you like a brother, but I think you're really not presenting this well at all.

 

Firstly, boycott until what?  Until they revert the change?  That you yourself said you agree with the sentiment/intention/goal of?  When are we supposed to stop boycotting?  What is supposed to change, before this boycott is lifted?

 

I agree with what I think is your real goal for this, which is to try and pressure Torn Ltd. into a greater level of transparency.  I fully support any efforts to get the development team to provide us information as soon as it is relevant, and ideally give us a better idea of upcoming releases and such.

 

But despite it being a take I keep seeing, the idea of "They should have told us this change was coming," is just such a dumpster fire of an opinion.  Like....  As has been mentioned here, if it was announced BEFOREHAND, then it would have defeated the whole purpose.  People would have instantly dumped as many Points into the Pawn Shop as possible, and we'd still have the complaints and rioting.

 

 

 

Again, I support increased transparency from the team behind the game.  I love the idea of these kinds of changes not just being announced immediately, but also have a detailed explanation as to how they arrived at the decision for it.  Maybe even return to it 3 months later, to discuss what was learned from it, what went right, what went wrong, and so on.  Give us, the players, an insight into the thought process, and design philosophy, of the game.

 

If their goal is to adjust the economy, and fix the various faucets and sinks connected to it, I hate to say this...  But it has to get worse, before it can get better.  They HAVE to turn off faucets and add/upgrade sinks, before they can add new faucets.  Otherwise they're just hurting their own goals.  And yes, that isn't a lot of fun for us in the short-term.  But it gives us a healthier game in the long-term.