Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Armor Weight Thresholds

Started by Bee [274145] on in Suggestions.

14 replies · 201 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
37
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
48 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
44 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100

Most-liked replies

Bee [274145]

As I mentioned in the thread https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=2&t=16406841&b=0&a=0&start=100

 

I think there should be a trade off for wearing Heavy Armor.

 

Heavy Armor reduces your attack turns by 1/3

Light Armor increases your attack turns by 1/3 

No armor equipped increases your attack turns by 2/3 etc.

 

This would create new strategies and make things more interesting.

 

What do you think?

DrChrono [1372430] Committee Committee

Would be interesting to explore weight thresholds of equipped armor (+ possibly weapons) having positive / negative effects on builds; certainly opens the door to a bit more depth & customization, though balance would need to be heavily investigated & tested.

Some company bonuses can be loosely compared, but accounting for weight itself (instead of simply wearing no armor in a specific company for a bonus) gets an R+ for the general idea.

Fatbears [2197270]

So EOD/Sent gets 16 attack turns and light armor gets 33 turns?

Seems insanely broken unless I'm not understanding the suggestion. 

Lat [1187876]

I think perhaps rather than messing with turns, leave the system as is but have each armour reduce speed and/or dexterity by a set range based on weights. 

stax [1132977]

This seems like the sensible way to me. A sort of "encumbrance" score that all armor/weapons contribute to. Say you make the base 100, add a merit category for it (so you can merit it up to 110), and maybe replace some job specials to give added encumbrance. Assign all weapons/armor a weight # that counts against this, and some kind of speed or dex penalty for each point you go over (maybe -1% to each for each point over)?

 

That's purely off the top of my head, but as a framework to create the kind of customization OP seems to be describing (Ok, you can wear heavier-duty stuff, but it comes with a trade-off). Could lead to interesting meta decisions like, maybe don't carry a secondary weapon or something at all to save on weight there?

T-Rex [2726]

I question the balance, yes I am a def ho. But it's not fair to punish us for using armor. Without armor our stat is worthless. Why not just make dex hos able to win fights without even fighting. 

Beerson [1576144]

Absolutely not.

This would fully benefit Def builds while massively nerfing Dex builds with no benefit to not wearing armor.

Remember that Dex builds are required to wear armor, not only to mitigate damage on the turns they get hit, but also to block Pepper and Gas, else all their Dex is immediately gone even in 1v1.

 

Already called this in the initial thread, expecting Ched would do this out of his bias for Def.

Beerson [1576144]

I think the scaling is bit too big which makes it seem it's intended to buff Dex, but the initial point was to put some drawbacks to heavier armor so that wearing heavier (and more expensive) armor isn't just 100% better all the time.

 

The suggestion could definitely use some tweaking, but I think it's a good idea in spirit, there should be some drawback to wearing full EOD.

Lat [1187876]

Sounds like a dex whore problem. I'm already at a disadvantage with def as primary stat, people needle their strength 5x and I merely get 3x for my def. Defence wearing heavy armour is gonna basically be a potato, offensive ability cut by the speed. Dex without armour is gonna get beaten, so they'll use armour and guess what, be a stalemate too.

 

Guess both have the same end result huh? Gonna need to be more tactical than being a whore either way.

Beerson [1576144]

Delusional.

There is nothing that nerfs Def there and Def is already overpowered as is.

Def in heavy armor with be still incredibly OP, while Dex will either be nerfed by wearing armor, or die because they don't wear armor to avoid nerfed stat.

Lat [1187876]

In line with actual realistic gameplay, that's simply what would happen. Your character, being very speedy and dexterous, would be harmed by wearing armour. Usain Bolt cannot currently resist a bullet, but he is pretty fast right, throw some kevlar on him and he's less fast but more bullet resistant 🤣.

Let's see Glass Cannons make a comeback, perhaps def and dex have had their boring time farming stalemates and it's time to rotate back to 2008 meta.

 

You are thinking along the lines of both def and dex cannot be nerfed more than the other, why not? I don't mind defence taking a hit, if it mixes up gameplay and changes the current attacking systems boring nature. I'm high def, if I come against high def or high dex it's a stalemate, be more interesting if I also have to consider armour builds rather than just cold stats and a needle.

Beerson [1576144]

In a realistic gameplay, Dex whore would never get hit by pepper spray or stand in Tear gas, what are you even talking about.

Lat [1187876]

Dunno mate, offering some suggestions to make the game have some different aspects, rather than being a def/dex and armour meta. 

 

Btw, you're a dex whore right? It certainly feels like you just don't want to see any harm to that. I don't mind seeing my def build effectiveness fall(I don't want stalemates) if we get some more fun attacking tactical changes.