Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Player @Mentions

Started by mutley [588278] Moderator on in Suggestions.

27 replies · 347 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
45 / 100
Story score
58 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

mutley [588278] Moderator Official

Hi everyone,

 

I have a simple yet long-standing idea: introducing the ability to mention a player using "@". This feature would notify the player that they are being discussed in the forums.

 

It seems unusual that in such a community-based game with an active forum, we aren't notified when someone mentions us. Currently, the only way to receive such notifications is when our post gets quoted.

 

This feature has proven to be extremely effective on platforms like YouTube, X, Instagram, etc. I believe most players would support this idea.

Usage example:
"If you're interested in new suggestions, I hear @mutley has come up with a few."

 

 

Feed Example:

[image: i.ibb.co]

 

Cheers,
~mutley

mutley [588278] Moderator Official

Community Feedback & Ideas:

 

  • Blocked players can no longer tag you.
  • Maximum number of tags per post.
Kwack [2190604]

Any post with my profile link on it should count as a "tag", and should show in my feed in my opinion.

 

I think I've seen a similar suggestion a long time ago, but definitely something that would be cool!

Leafeh [467479]

It's a suggestion that's been around a few times, and already hit 100+ in two different threads by Champion under the old rating threshold system.

 

The idea seems to have been initially seen as a possibility by Ched, but later he flipped to seeing it as duplicating an existing feature. (I think he actually misunderstood what Champion meant by "tagging" that time around though)

 

Earliest suggestion of this on record. (Ched replies, not sure if there was any requirement rating in place at this point in time.)

 

[image: editor-cdn.torn.com]

[image: editor-cdn.torn.com]

 

Seems to see it as a possibility, but doesn't get added.

 

Champion's first 100+ submission. (No response though and gets requested to be sent to the Graveyard for some reason.)

 

[image: editor-cdn.torn.com]

 

Stylin's suggestion of it. (Rating threshold not hit and no response)

OrbitalSentry's suggestion of it. (Rating threshold not hit and no response)

 

Champion's 2nd 100+ suggestion of it. (Was a suggestion for subscribing to individual players in the forums, but also links back to the other 100+ asking for @Mention/tagging to be added too.)

 

[image: editor-cdn.torn.com]

 

I think Ched gets confused here though and conflates tagging with subscribing, thinking they are the same thing.

 

There's responses from bogie on the idea, but these are prior to him being community manager. 

 

[image: editor-cdn.torn.com]

 

Sure I've missed a few threads as I only have older threads quickly accessible. I know there was another that originally suggested it, hit 100+, but removed it from the thread prior to Ched replying to the ideas listed, so didn't actually get a response. There was some discussion of it though. (Found the thread by Hinotori Here after looking.)

 

 

Regarding the ideas tabled across the years to prevent abuse of such a feature, I think these would be unnecessary and just cause more problems, and act as a roadblock to actually seeing the feature added. 

 

You don't need a toggle to turn them off, you don't need a way to hide them by adding people to your enemies list or blocking them. You can't do either of these things for notifications of post quotes that appear in your forum feed and people survive just fine. Anyone that attempted to abuse the feature would encounter the existing rules for flooding/spamming which should be sufficient. 

 

Other than that, Rated +, as I think it's a good idea.

Mentions: @mention · Ability to subscribe to people on forums + tagging · Ability to tag people in the forums · Ability to tag people in the forums · Lots of Forum Additions · Tagging people

mutley [588278] Moderator Official

Super useful. Thank you for the contribution Leafeh.

 

Do you think it's worth getting this one to 250+ with a clearer picture of what we all want from this feature?

 

A response is rare these days though. I have another at 250+, posted in Bugs & Issues, it got closed without even a response despite huge support and enthusiasm for it.

Varides [2176530]

I think this is a great suggestion to keep visible. I doubt it gets implemented in the current forums, but could be a possibility if Forums gets remade in the future. 

 

My only suggestion to add on would be to turn off the ability to receive pings at all, then from there it could be decided to allow your blocked players to ping you.