Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Points Disaster?

Started by NastyRavens [3279781] on in General Discussion.

126 replies · 3.41k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 127 / 127 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
127
Discussion span
→
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
34 / 100
Story score
67 / 100
Engagement score
82 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

NastyRavens [3279781]

Hi everyone!

 

I just wanted to bring this up from the perspective of a new player, but is it time to admit that removing the pawn shop's ability to buy points was a bad idea?

 

I know for me personally at least as a new player, all the ways of grinding to make good money has been drying up rapidly. With the market price of points plummeting, it has taken a bulk of the market a long with it, and now there are more people than ever selling losses in lieu of being able to fly and make good cash.

 

It's just kind of sad because I just was getting into the game right when the change was made, and now it seems like I am stuck in a rut that I have to be in longer than anyone else because I can't rely on flying to make good cash as a new player like everyone else did. Is it time to bring back the Pawn Shop Standard and make points have a real value? Selling losses CAN'T be the only reliable method of making cash as a new player without taking forever to make any decent money.

 

I just wanted to see yall's thoughts because idk, my view may be skewed because this directly changed my gameplay, but I wanted to see yall's thoughts.

Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor

Honestly sick of people blaming the wise and mighty Chedburn because they missed an opportunity to make easy money. If you liked being able to sell points to the pawn shop so much, why didn't you just sign up for torn city dot com sooner? That way you'd have had more time to take advantage of such a broken system that surely would have wrecked the economy if left in the game.

 

cankles [2137519]

I want to be able to buy bull semen at the price the community deems it to be.  It's what got me to fall in love with the game.  The artificial price floor for an item is stupid.  

 

Except for DP's.  Keep that because we need the whales to pay for further developments.

 

 

Change is slow in this game.  There will be an adjustment for points or a new incentive to make money someday and there will then be threads about that change ruining somebody's gameplay.

Prevalence [2825160]

Have you thought about opening your wallet like the admins wanted you too?

 

With the huge influx of players joining with no way to make money - it’s obvious why it remains untouched 

TremereRegent [3113104]

Ched is operating on the advice of Lt_Wolf, the game's "Economist." Ched most likely isn't to blame because he's operating on the information he pays for when he employs Lt_Wolf. 

 

If you want someone to blame for the End Stage Capitalism Tier "Why are newbies f*cked by every change" you need look no further than [73234]. 

Yipsy [3303371]

I don't give af who is to blame, it happened, it is part of the game now. 

 

BUT as a new player, I am curious if this change makes it pointless to pursue the history degree early on so you can get the museum. Would it be in best interest to follow Baldrs advice and go sports science or Biology now?

GassyTerps [1444838]

I’ll be straight up and say I don’t like flying and while I see its benefit it’s not the only income source for newer players. With ranked wars and saving to run a company in a few months you can be 100% self-sufficient without flying ever. Given that I don’t like to fly, I think the points change was awesome. Refills are super cheap now. The price to get big Al’s bunker has dropped like 25 million or something like that. I get not everyone feels the same way that I do, but that’s my two cents.

AmbientPorridge [2939924]

I mean i dont understand why points dropped so much anyways...People could literally band together and refuse to sell below 45k ea and points would have remained stable.

VladBull [2321305] Committee Committee

Yes, because it's so easy to get 54k players per day to agree, do the same thing, and keep their word! :)

Pickles_616 [2407528]

Going for the history degree early was never a good plan. You were always better off with sports science & bio first, and I'd argue for combat as the 3rd degree to get with how important RW is now and how long it takes to build weapon XP.

Spink [1290688]

I think you're forgetting the fact that if you're under 100 days old, you're basically guaranteed a jackpot win as a welcome gift

AgntOrngRuffy [3268335]

I've only been in this game going on 100 days. Points were a certain price when I began, and now they've dropped substantially. Since their drop in value, my networth has...doubled. It's called playing the game. There are many ways to make income. Try knocking out some comic strips. Hit up those faction wars. Shit, go spelunking in the Dump. All of these are better sources of income than hitting up the forums with another hot take on the point debacle. 

Bumfluff [969606] Wiki Contributor

New players can now afford daily refills for points at a much lower networth.

 

It also gives players the opportunity to diversify their income in the early game which is far more interesting than flying 24/7, particularly as this change frees up more opportunities to increase cash generation in other areas of the game.

 

Win/Win

 

The player base is just too short term minded to accept this change

Top [1166445]

Why diversify if you can just fly and make bank on plushies? That has been the primary way of most people making money for many years, and with Crimes2.0 not a major money maker, there isn't anything for the newbies which is anywhere close to the pre-points crash. What do you suggest? 

 

Now does not seem a great time to start an account on torn dot com. 

Bumfluff [969606] Wiki Contributor

Because there have been many complaints and suggestions over the year about how flying is incredibly boring but it’s the only way to make money so everyone feels compelled to play the most boring way to keep up.

 

By removing this faucet, it allows cash generation to come from other faucets.

 

Thing about having several faucets and turning one off increases the pressure in the other faucets.

MaxHeadRoom [1429645]

torn is still massively easier than it was 5 years ago...  theres plenty of income sources...   use your brain

 

and you ppl downrating this...  you werent even here 5 yrs ago

 

 

 

Rookoo disliked your post

 

you have a nw of 7bil and are a decent trader, why is it a problem for you?

 

 

 

Filthy_Fluffles disliked your post

 

LOL blue name, nw of 1.7 bil, barely logs in...   skill issue

 

 

 

EvilCat disliked your post

 

nw of 25bil.. why are you complaining? you could have a passive income of 400mil a month with proper investment of 20bil

 

 

 

Best_Cheese disliked your post

 

nw 212mil in 1.5 yrs, barely logs in...  skill issue

 

 

 

 

 

dont blame the system for your lack of ability... 

 

 

no cry cry ragey nubbuckets

 

lol

 

Mentions: Points Disaster?

Super_Freak [453406]

There is no point trying to argue with people who made money with broken systems. Stocks, RW, PSFs, etc.. Then you have some of the same people defending this who are using mugging scripts/bots to make income. Like PT, NS, etc.. 

 

Torn isn't new player friendly unless you have a credit card ready. They get taken advantage by RW factions, loss buyers, PSF to fill spots. Flying was a new persons way to build up some capital. 

 

The only reason why the pawn shop still buys donator packs is because that would hurt sales. Ched can't allow that to happen. I'd like to see statistics on the whales who buy donator packs to fund gambling habits for poker, RR, and caches.