Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Defective Captchas

Started by Asbestos [2605613] on in Bugs & Issues.

9 replies · 106 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 10 / 10 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
10
Discussion span
→
People posting
7
Likes on archived posts
3
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
56 / 100
Historical score
28 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
49 / 100

Most-liked replies

Asbestos [2605613]

Bogie closed my report of a more holistic issue with the bot hunter and captcha system dismissing it as working as intended. 

I’m not sure that Torn will be able to do anything about individual defective captcha images as they come from a third party, but I’ll post them as I run into them. 

 

The following captchas failed:

 

Kwack [2190604]

For the second one the dude on the bike doesn't count as the bike.

 

For the first, probably the top left square. Not sure, recaptcha is often incorrect. 

 

Either way if you're repeatedly having issues with the image captchas maybe try the audio ones? Headphones icon bottom left.

bogie [148747] Admin Staff

I'd agree with this assessment. It's already set to easy tiers so beyond you taking it up with Google there is nothing for us to resolve here.

Asbestos [2605613]

I’m not a Google customer.  I’m a torn customer. There is something broken in the Torn experience. Who you source your components from is not my issue.. it’s yours. If you’re “agreeing with Kwack’s assessment”, you should also check out the part where he says “recaptcha is often incorrect”. 

You already closed my more holistic report about having a way that you can deal with these situations and you closed it with “working as designed” and gaslighting. Now that you’re getting examples of the issue, it’s “it’s googles problem”. 

Something is broken with how users interact with Torn. 

Asbestos [2605613]

I agree. These things are often pretty ambiguous and have you doing a lot of second guessing. Bogie ignored the part where you said “recaptcha is often incorrect”.

 

This combination of the bot hunter, lack of exception management, and broken recaptcha is one of the worst UX implementations I’ve ever seen. 

_____ [2101367]

Yeah, recaptcha is notorious for this. 

 

The trick is to not think like a human - instead, ask yourself for every individual square if a computer would likely have identified this square as belonging to a motorcycle with a >50% confidence level. That would lead me to clicking 7 squares on your motorcycle one, or at most 8. Generally that's the way to get the best success rate on the visual one.

 

Alternatively, it's pretty much universally agreed that the audio one is easier for humans.

 

---------------

 

Re-reading what I typed above right before I send it - sheesh, what a dystopian world we live in.

Asbestos [2605613]

The bottom picture is me. Pure rage. 

The top one is a surly community manager who is unconcerned about whether his product actually works. 

Level100Coochie [2983838]

My wife has worked with some captcha development stuff (she sends her apologies to all involved) and whenever I get frustrated she also says to "not think like a human" so much- which absolutely breaks my mind. 

ThunderBlitz [2684774]

Those 'Jigsaw' style recaptchas have never worked for me, at all. 🤷🏻

 

There's an easy workaround; simply hit the refresh icon (bottom left), until you get a multiple item recaptcha (for example; select all images with a bus).  Those ones are easy, there's normally 3 of them, occasionally 4 (applies to any of them, regardless of the item in question).

 

Nothing to stress about, really, just live and learn.  😉