Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Torncon Canada?!

Started by YouFuckinKnoWho [2168140] on in General Discussion.

63 replies · 1.33k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 64 / 64 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Penetration [2340613]

Western Canadian here traveling to New Orleans for this TornVon. Considered doing a Western Canada one someday as I know there's quite a few Alberta players. 

 

Zero interest in Manitoba tbh. 

Nitebreeze [3363363]

If you wanted to go for a authentic slums experience  Vancouver would be the best place hold it. At the Carnegie hall on main and hastings. Not sure if that place still exists lol

Penetration [2340613]

Vancouver is so close to beautiful country and yet so shit in itself. Should at least look at the coast. I think WhiteRock is a town or something like that, which would be a great meetup. 

 

Toronto would be fun but Niagra on the Lake would be killer too.

Wookard [26845]

With the size of Canada would almost make sense to have a West and East Con.  Say Calgary/Vancouver or Toronto/Ottawa

 

But that is a ton of work to get sorted.   But realistically finding a simple Bar or Restaurant to rent a room to start would be easiest.

 

Travel is very expensive in Canada.  Price of Gas and Food has also gotten way out of hand.

damaster [641864] Wiki Contributor

As a Minnesotan, Winnipeg is way closer than any TornCon outside of Chicago has ever been! See you Canada!

MightyGoober [812478]

Hello fellow Canadians, how’s Alberta?

Edmonton has WEM, used to be the largest mall in the world. Bourbon street (it’s a row of bars inside the mall) could be cool.


also in the mall:

There’s 2 mini golf courses, an amusement area that used to have a rollercoster, and a giant wave pool/slides, and bungee jump in that water.

 

Hotel also attached to it. It’s as tourist as I think a Canadian city can get.

PrincessJulie [11229] Admin Staff

I have toyed with the idea of doing a Canadian Torncon, in my mind it would likely follow a similar format to the US version where it is a ticketed event with a venue booked beforehand, changing regions/cities every time. There is significant planning that is required for these events, so major props to Evaline for starting it out and getting it going because it is a great time. 

 

If I feel like there is significant interest in this, I could definitely start planning something for probably Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal, just due to knowing the cities best and them having good transportation links, before branching out to other cities. 

 

Edit: Also, speaking as an admin, Ched couldn't pay me enough to go to Winnipeg

Lasky [1718783]

One thing I’ve learnt from reading this thread is I don't think I’ll be visiting Winnipeg anytime soon.