Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

$1 lock research

Started by Anonym0usUsEr [3146146] on in General Discussion.

14 replies · 1.35k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
12
Likes on archived posts
82
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
31 / 100
Story score
57 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

Most-liked replies

Anonym0usUsEr [3146146]

Hello GD! So the other day I got bored (wonder why) and decided to research the exact percentages on how many items are unlocked when sellers list stuff for $1. 
Apologies if this research has been done before

TL;DR at the bottom 

 

Test #1

So for test #1 I decided to take a trip down to Big Al’s and steal buy 100 hammers. Then I listed them all in my bazaar for $1 each, and contacted 50 people asking how many they could buy. Every single one of them reported being able to buy only 1, with the other 99 being locked. For those of you who can’t do math don’t like to do math that’s a 1 out of 100 availability rate. Here are my findings presented in a pie chart in light mode.



 

I also found that 2 people with the same last 2 digits in ID didn’t have the same hammer available 👀

 

Test #2

So I decided to go a bit bigger just to make sure. I walked back down to Big Al’s but he wouldn’t let me buy any more! Talk about a bad salesman. So through a few trades and a lot of explaining I managed to grab 900 more melee weapons. Then I listed them in my bazaar for a grand total of 1000 individual melee weapons. I talked to another 50 people and forced convinced them to look at how many they could buy. 49 out of 50 said they could buy 10 weapons just as expected. The other guy said he could buy 3 but I think he was just too lazy to scroll all the way through. Anyways he’s part of my data I guess so have another chart in light mode. 


 

This concludes my research so far on the $1 lock. 
if the polls majority is open bazaar in 2 hrs I’ll open it and let you guys have at.

TL;DR

The research I did points towards a 1 out of 100 chance of an item under the $1 lock being unlocked

 

Thanks for reading and have a poll

neur0_tox1c [2879830]

u know the game gets crazier than ever when someone is bored and they wonder why...

had this in my own personal experience. XD

 

bro love the experiments keep your work up! would love to see more researches like this one...

Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

I believe it was posted publicly, maybe in the newspaper, or forums... at some point anyway, what the % of $1 locks actually is. And yeah it's pretty high, so 1/100 seems about right. 

DieselBlade [1701621] Wiki Contributor

I think they should change the $1 lock system. Instead of randomly locking $1 items; make it so players can only buy a set amount of $1 items per day, or a set amount of value per day.

Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

A set number of items per day is actually not a bad idea. However, then hammers and other low value items would find themselves in a constant state of limbo and never get purchased. 

 

Value per day makes more sense, but where do you set the bar? That would be a very hot topic of discussion. 

 

I think the current system is fine as it is. I like where your mind is going tho.

Mad-Dokta [2769130]

You included a TL:DR, a poll and colourful cheese wheels! Amazing effort R+ 

 

(I would give it a R18+, but we can only like once 😉)

Piccolo [2693254] Reporter

Yeah, originally we were thinking/basing it off of 10% of the Torn population. Which is what was included in the guide and the last newspaper article for Torn City’s Independence Day Dash. 
From that and past information I made the guide on it as well, seen here.

 

It’s interesting, given the sample size of his finding as more should’ve had access or we’d atleast assume so. Maybe this year with Smokey’s hammer sales, this Black Friday,  we can get an even larger sample size. 

Mentions: Unleash the Power of $1: The $1 Sales Guide

General_Spook [2294862]

I may or may not be working on a little project if my own, glad to see that some players are receptive(?) to smaller, less important research :]

Cheb [876657] Reporter

It is based on the last 2 digits of your ID. it is assigned a random number from 00-99 and only someone with a matching ID can purchase the item. If you have the same ID ending as someone else the same items are available for you.