Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Courthouse suggestion

Started by goblinMode [2809005] on in Suggestions.

13 replies · 92 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
10
Authority score
27 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
50 / 100
goblinMode [2809005]

Just a recommendation. I think a court system should be implemented. If a player keeps getting abused by another player through gameplay features, there should be a way to disable or limit the abusers’ abilities. I don’t feel admin decisions can assist with this, especially if both sides are playing by the “rules”. But even if both sides are right abuse can happen. So we should have a panel of our peers assist in decisions like this; not just admin. Admin has to follow strict rules, that can conflict with a fair decision. So they are stuck behind a lot of red tape. Our peers can see things in a different perspective, that’s why in court juries are needed.

 

anyway just a thought.

goblinMode [2809005]

Abuse is abuse even if it’s legal. But if a community is cool with it nothing can be done to change it. It’s just a pretty bad look. 

SenseiLeJuke [2680219]

And what is this abuse you are talking about? What do you clasify as abuse?

 

Also in torn there is usually reason for doing something againts a player and the reason Is mostly cause he acted like ass or is an idiot

Sumobear50 [2885348]

Well, in my eyes, I don't think there would be a good enough reason to implement this feature. However, I could easily advocate for a Mercy Rule feature.

 

For example, if you get attacked five times by the same player and always lose, you can declare a "Mercy Rule" and stop the player from attacking you for X amount of time, with the consequence of being labeled as "Coward" by title if you use it too many times, with the only way to clear the title being to beat that player enough times for them to declare Mercy Rule.

Nilfgaardczyk [2406770]

Theres always some reason, maybe you dont found it a valid one but they do.

For example i can bounty you just because i think you're a crybaby (based on this thread). Would you call it an abuse?

goblinMode [2809005]

Depends on to what extreme. It differs between person to person. That's why a legal system uses a jury. The jury gathers the facts and then determines a decision. Juries are usually consisted of different types of people, so it's not one mind set going into the court case.  What you're saying is not wrong btw. But, that's why I think a court system with a jury would be useful, and fun, and potentially gain more merits/ranks, maybe even money if corruption is involved.

Awesome-O [2356036]

If you can't take some kind of abuse then you shouldn't really be on the Internet let alone playing torn

 

Abuse can be misconstrued in many ways

I'm currently putting bounties on a player... its in the rules but he may see it as abuse and cry about it..... and make up some kind of problems at home and this game is his only outlet and if he can't play then he will ***************** 

 

That's not my issue!!!!

 

 

Autistic_Dragon was getting so many messages "making fun" of him

That could be abuse but it was within the rules.... your way could see us all being gagged 

 

Did someone hurt you with mean words?

Awesome-O [2356036]

What facts can you have on here.....

If I was good as photoshop I could make a chat log showing that you are harassing me in some way that is within the rules but is somehow causing me offence

 

Who would pick this jury

Who could we appeal to

in a court some cases need a unanimous decision where some need a majority

when would these cases be decided on.... you would need all the jury to discuss matters

what punishment could they hand out

 

whonsays the jury are correct in there decision 

 

The Jury would need admin access to check logs and to implement whatever punishment they think fitting

So your basically just suggesting that we have more admin roles

 

 

goblinMode [2809005]

No they don't need all that information. I imagine it would be like the Church wedding. But random people would be notified. When they show, each side would put in chat some evidence and if the jury members wish they could just vote on who wins the case. I don't see any difference with real life if there was bias, or payments being handed out. The victim and suspect won't know who's in the jury, unless one of the jurors is in a social web with them(Faction, company, alliance, etc). I think you misunderstand me when I suggested this, it's not for federal jail issues, that's on the admin. This is just for issues involving other crimes between players.

 

Yes I can see this becoming a popularity contest, but that's like real life jurors. Trust me, I've done too many jury duties. 

 

Also I think it would be cool, if a juror is summoned, and they don't show the system should take them to jail for a few hours.....just to be broken out. But I think it would be fun to have that mechanic in the game.

goblinMode [2809005]

I think the punishment would have to be enforced by the system. Like when the victim triggers the court system part of the game, they could have some scroll down choices on what the problem is: bounty abuse, Consistent attacks, Mugging, and anything else the people can think of. For example bounty issues would disable bountying of that victim for maybe 12 hours. same with attacking or mugging.

 

Just a thought.

Awesome-O [2356036]

I get what your saying but people will abuse it 

 

If I'm automatically called for jury duty but I don't log in to see it or I know it's coming and IRL takes over and I miss it then I go to jail for no reason but this is torn and I'll be busted in seconds

 

As for bountie abuse.... if I'm putting lots on you and you select the courthouse and select bounties and I'm blocked from putting bounties on you I'll just go to the bountie setting group and have them do it for me

 

Constent attacks.... well that's a RW... its not good having that option to stop people hitting you during an RW

 

Mugging..... that's the game and if I keep mugging you it's because you have money on you all the time

 

 

 

So let's say it's put into action and the jury say I'm guilty of some kinda crime against you (bountie, attacking, saying something mean)... then what happens.... how is it enforced.... 

 

You say they don't need evidence but they kinda do to make a choice

You can't just say I'm doing XYZ and I say no I'm not.... it just won't work

 

Random people on the jury.... I attack and mug random people, I post in the forum alot.... I upset alot of people

My name isn't hard to forget

 

You have done jury duty so you should know at the beginning they ask if you know the person or had any involvement with anyone present people lie

They will know me ans say they don't just to punish me

Or they won't know me but say they do so they get out of doing it and don't have to worry about going to jail 

 

People like the ferrett and Titus and whoever else shitposts in tor forums will constantly be in the courthouse 

 

It's an OK idea and something that could be a player owned company (like the arresting someone job) but as a game system I don't think it would work