Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

MLB 2024

Started by Corellion [3175559] on in Sports.

116 replies · 914 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 117 / 117 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Necess [3191404]

It's too bad that there was never a Dodgers vs. Brewers playoff series when Scully was still in the booth, but them's the breaks.

Necess [3191404]

In an unrelated topic, I asked a friend about whether all runners have to succeed in a double/triple steal in order for any runner to be credited with a stolen base.

 

My friend said no, all runners do not have to succeed in a multiple steal in order for any of them to be credited with a stolen base.

 

I looked up the official baseball rules that MLB uses (at least the 2023 edition), and 9.07d actually says that all runners have to succeed in order for any of them to be credited with a stolen base.

 

My friend claims he was using ChatGPT for his answer, which, if true, means that I was able to come up with a better answer than ChatGPT.

 

Not a high bar to get over, considering this isn't anywhere close to the first time I've encountered issues with ChatGPT answers, haha.

_7_ [1648788]

Just went to my first Dodgers vs Braves game.  Been wanting to do so the last 3 years.  I'll be at my first Sunday Night Baseball game tomorrow night.  Hopefully the injury-riddled Braves can seep your Doyers!!! 

 

:P

Necess [3191404]

Let's be fair, both teams aren't exactly models of health right now, although the Dodgers finally managed to get their position players into something resembling Opening Day.

Dunno how Braves fans aren't turning over cars due to their position player injuries. :(

_7_ [1648788]

Agree and your boys look to be getting ready for a push in October.  LA's pitching is average with those pitching injuries though.  Think I saw where Glasnow is a huge question mark on returning this year.  

 

You're right about all the injuries in ATL.  One thing I tend to hang my hat on is, even with all these injuries including Strider and hell even Fried earlier this summer we are still in the mix.  For me that speaks mightily on how good and dominant the Braves can be if fully healthy.  It's not like Strider and Acuna got hurt last month and we had a good record when they did, that happened at the beginning of the year!!!!

 

I'm not turning cars over even thought I've thought about it lol.  I'm looking at it from a positive perspective

 

 

Necess [3191404]

So, wanted to rant about Immaculate Grid.

 

I've been clamoring for sometime to be able to fill out a square in Immaculate Grid for someone who never played a major league game.

I thought my day had finally come with Immaculate Grid 531 with the center square.

 

"Born outside US 50 states and DC" intersection with "Hall of Fame". The legend for Hall of Fame even says that the Pioneer category is okay.

 

 

 

Henry Chadwick is in the Hall of Fame as a Pioneer and was born in the UK and also never played a major league game.

 

Immaculate Grid won't let me put in Chadwick, probably because Chadwick's baseball reference article doesn't have a Chadwick number on it due to the having not played a major league game.

 

I was turning over metaphorical cars that I couldn't put in Chadwick, because it also means that even if Immaculate Grid presents a square that she qualifies for, it won't let me put in Effa Manley.

--Angel-- [212744]

He did it!!!!!!!! 50/50!!!!!! Most impressive thing I’ve ever seen!!!! The Sho is in a league of his own… it’s a beautiful day to be a Dodger fan xD 

Necess [3191404]

So, most people list the home runs as the numerator and stolen bases as the denominator. :)

 

A good friend of mine called me silly for thinking that Ohtani was getting another at bat aftter hitting 50.

 

My wife told me the same thing.

 

Boy, I should have bet them both that Shohei was going to get another at bat, although I was betting on Shohei getting a triple off of a position player.

Shohei was pretty close to getting a 7th plate appearance.

--Angel-- [212744]

He had one of the best offensive games in MLB history I think every Dodger fan felt that 50/50 coming in that game … I thought it was pretty cool they took his uniform straight to Cooperstown.   I haven’t been this excited about a player since Big Papi … it’s just been an amazing season watching him …  he’s not a man he’s a machine :p

Necess [3191404]

I thought it was pretty cool they took his uniform straight to Cooperstown. 

 

Not surprising, tbh.

 

I remember watching some video or reading some article that the HoF has processes in place for this.

 

The HoF personnel tend to keep on top of game used stuff that is pretty easy to secure...like at the beginning of the season, they have a list of likely career milestones that are going to be broken in the next season (3000 strikeouts, 3000 hits, that sort of thing), and open lines of communication to impacted ball clubs about what the HoF wants to be saved and to ship that saved stuff when the record is broken.

I imagine the HoF does something similar for season records as well. Ohtani's season milestone wasn't exactly a secret. 

 

It's the unexpected game milestones that can get a bit weird, like if someone actually managed to hit 5 home runs in a game, or managed to strike out all 27 batters in a perfect game, although I'm sure the impacted clubs would try to save and ship what they could.

--Angel-- [212744]

Are you really a dodger fan ? :p Lol how are you not more excited for the club and Ohtani lol?!?!! I know the HoF has procedures but to actually get to see the 50/50 achieved and the way he did and be reminded Cooperstown will have a new addition was just awesome !  … I mean even the announcers were beyond excited and impressed to have witnessed it.  My son and I jumped off the couch hahaha  I’ve been to Cooperstown twice and I’ll be definitely planning a third time with my sons now. 

Necess [3191404]

Are you really a dodger fan ?

 

Enuff of a dodger fan to understand not to get my hopes up with regular season accomplishments to later see them dashed in the postseason.


I'm still steamed about not being able to put Henry Chadwick in an Immaculate Grid square.

--Angel-- [212744]

So you may be a partial dodger fan lol I’m taking the stance if he can do the impossible in the reg season let’s see what he can do in post… I’ve only plays the grid square once lol Is your wife a Dodger fan too? 

Nintendo [2150592]

Did your team make the playoffs?

 

My Guards are locked in the 2nd seed in the AL, but I don't see them going far.  I think Houston is flying under the radar and will be a team you don't want to face, same with the red hot Tigers.  Hoping they face each other in the 1st round.

 

I got back from a road trip last week down to California for some baseball. Knocked off stadiums 8, 9, and 10 by finally getting to Oakland before it was too late, Seeing the absolute beauty that is Oracle in SF, and watching Shohei hit HR 47 and steal #48 in LA

 

Anybody been to every, or close to every park? That's the eventual goal here

Necess [3191404]

Did your team make the playoffs?

 

Yes, although I wish the Angels would make it to the playoffs.

 

I think Houston is flying under the radar and will be a team you don't want to face, same with the red hot Tigers.  Hoping they face each other in the 1st round.

 

I haven't been paying much attention to the AL playoff picture, largely because California's AL teams were eliminated from contention a loooong time ago.

 

On the National League side, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Phillies and the Padres in the NLCS, with Jackson Merrill as NLCS MVP. I think the Dodgers winning the last series with the Padres was a fluke.

 

I got back from a road trip last week down to California for some baseball. Knocked off stadiums 8, 9, and 10 by finally getting to Oakland before it was too late, 

 

As much as people dump on Oakland, I like it, and I'm not even from Northern California. A cousin of mine compares the BART walkway to the colisseum to Thunder Dome.

 

Seeing the absolute beauty that is Oracle in SF.

 

I've never been to Oracle, but if I don't have a car, it looks like it's a pain in the ass to get to, similar to Petco.

 

EDIT: Wait a minute, it's a pain in the ass to use your own car to get to Petco. It's Dodger Stadium that is a pain in the ass to get to without your own car.

 

That said, Oracle is the only MLB stadium in California I haven't attended a game at (yet), unless the Athletics decide to permanently stay in Sacramento.

 

Yes, I'm planning on going to an Athletics game in Sacramento before I go to Oracle, because the dimensions look like more home runs and because of the novelty of seeing MLB teams play in minor league parks. (It will also be the first time I see a game played in a minor league park).