Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

7000 Days: A Reflection that got out of hand.

Started by Praetorus [156563] on in Achievements.

19 replies · 730 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 20 / 20 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
20
Discussion span
→
People posting
15
Likes on archived posts
140
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
31 / 100
Story score
52 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

AlexeaNikkole [888237] ×1 NapalmX [2009924] ×1 Bob367 [2728133] ×1 Biff_Ironbarge [2728146] ×1

Praetorus [156563]

Hi all,

I'm kind of a quiet guy around here, so there's an incredibly high chance that you've never heard of me. With great humility, and having had the encouragement of my friends in Catalysis, I'm dropping a quick recognition of my 7000 days in Torn. I haven't been active all of that time, but I've played on and off for most of the last 20 years. I'm 33 years old now, which means that Torn has been present for a significant portion of my life.
 

I started out on Torn at the recommendation of a friend from Habbo Hotel (if you remember that! Also, shoutout to Emmertz7 wherever life has taken you). When I signed up, Torn didn’t exist yet - it was still called Torn City. There were only a few images present on the site. Serendipitously, the images from the recent news article on the 20th anniversary will give you a pretty good idea of what my 14 year old eyes were looking at. I remember it was a big deal when I was able to buy my first Raven MP-25 in-game. I felt invincible… until I tried to use it and got my ass kicked. I spent my early Torn days flailing about, not really understanding what I was doing, but feeling like I was doing it right.

A few more memories that I thought of and will just leave in bullet form:

- I’m still scared of Bodybagger. I’m convinced he could beat the hell out of the rest of Torn by himself at one point,  and I will not be dissuaded from if that’s the truth or not.
- I’m so happy to see JFK around still. Being part of that faction was something I aspired to at one point, but I never really committed when I was younger. I can’t remember if Factions actually had a real structure when my account was young, but I do remember folks having the shortened faction name (is there a word for this? Idk.) Like for example, HT-xname, BC_xname.
- I also used either Merits or Points to purchase a Yasukuni Sword and the Lamborghini Gallardo. I was ecstatic when I was eventually refunded those currencies and got to keep the items too.


Over the next decade or so, I played on and off, flitting from faction to faction and playstreak to playstreak. Strangely, Torn really cemented itself in my head in my 20’s. I joined a faction called Rise of Hitmen under NapalmX where I learned how to make money, and start training with Xanax, and how to play the game in general. We also fought against Unrelenting and ItsZahid when they tried to take over our corner of the map. That faction was eventually sold to USinfidel32 and AlexeaNikkole, and was renamed to Teufel Hunden Barracks. That’s where I really locked in and started playing Torn in earnest. I had it easy because I had done a fair amount of the education done, a good base of stats, and a Private Island. Over a couple of years with THB, my account blossomed into a decently strong profile. I worked my way up into THB leadership with my other friends BeautevilAngel, and fallenheroa7x. As the Chain Master, I guided the faction through the first few multi-thousand hit chains and we started aligning with CR and Catalysis. My new goal and bucket list item became to join Catalysis if anything ever happened to THB, and that’s what I started working toward.
 

One day, we got the message that the faction was being sold, and I had never been so crushed by something that happened in Torn. I didn’t mesh well with the incoming leadership, nor did I have the desire to build something like THB again. I spent the next year or so just logging in to train and do crimes. Eventually, I invited a couple of my IRL friends to play Torn with me after they had noticed that I was STILL playing this mostly text-based game. Having them around and seeing their joy and discovery really reignited my passion for Torn. I joined the faction that had scooped them up (shoutout to MORTAL LEGENDS!) I stuck around there for a while but realized that it wasn’t where I wanted to be. I looked up AlexeaNikkole, who was in Catalysis at that point, and realized “hey, I might actually be strong enough for them now”. I asked Alexea to put in a good word for me, left Mortal Legends, and applied to Catalysis. Shady69 accepted my application, and the rest is history. I’ve been in Catalysis for most of a couple of years now, and it has been an incredible time of learning and discovery. I still learn something new every day from these folks, and I don’t foresee that changing in the future.


This got way out of hand, and I definitely didn’t mean to write a damn book. If you’ve made it this far, thank you for reading, and for being part of my community.

Big shoutouts to Chedburn, AlexeaNikkole, NapalmX, Bob367, and Biff_Ironbarge. I wouldn't still be active without these folks.


TL;DR my account is impressively old as hell and I have a few friends to thank


P.S. A condition of mine when my wife and I were married last year is that she had to make a Torn account so I could marry her here as well. She created her Torn account while we were on the plane to our honeymoon. 😊 

Mentions: AlexeaNikkole [888237] · Biff_Ironbarge [2728146] · Bob367 [2728133] · NapalmX [2009924]

Andyman [471591]

7000 days old you say? Aspired to be in JFK?

 

Brother, you're old as dirt, you'd fit right in.

 

Congrats on the marriage.

Praetorus [156563]

I'll admit I'm a little starstruck by having THE Andyman replying to a thread I created.

Thank you for the reply, the good vibes, and for your commitment to making the game better for all of us!

Untouchable [1360035] Committee Committee

Awesome reading other people’s stories! Congrats on 7,000 days brother. I remember way back in the day when I was 14 and signed up I looked up to Tezwar & always wanted to be in Wold Pack. Never quite made the cut on my first application & changed my sights after some time. I bounced around before I set my sights on CR, now look at us 🥳

Praetorus [156563]

It's really interesting how Torn reflects real life in that you never know exactly where you're going to be in 6 months. :) 

edit: Ope, I hit enter before I meant to, but thank you so much! It's been a trip, and it's nowhere near done. :)

Scuba [512975]

Grats buddy. There are a lot of old accounts in Torn, but ultimately very few stayed active even a quarter of that time.

Wolverine [1971836]

I heard that quiet guys are the best serial killers :D

 

I read all your  post and congratulations for 20 years in Torn! I wish you 20 more years with us ^_^

Aleks-ODBird [2259658]

Happy 7k day!

 

Also, have to say love that story at the bottom. It was a great wedding gift from your wife. (Now just get her to start playing! Lol)

Brockman5000 [1461425]

Congrats on being 7000 days old! I'm barely 14.5 years into torn myself. I took a few years off early on because of life (Tornado victim, fun times), and when i came back the game had changed. My faction was no longer around (The Destructors), Torn stopped looking ugly, and was more alive with players.

 

I hope you continue to play for another 7000 days (maybe? Lol)! Do yourself a favor and get a plan made for your torn character, for whenever real life decides it's time to give you that game over. I never want to see anyone's commitment and hard work to this game be turned into inactive fodder to some factions chain target list.