Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Attack blocking query - Is this a script?

Started by Mad-Dokta [2769130] on in Questions & Answers.

12 replies · 252 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 13 / 13 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
13
Discussion span
→
People posting
10
Likes on archived posts
5
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
33 / 100
Engagement score
59 / 100

Most-liked replies

Mad-Dokta [2769130]

I don't quite know how to explain how this is annoying as fk, but here it is:

 

  • I am in hospital and I have multiple tabs on the ready (pc atm) to med out, attack and self hosp within ~5-10s
  • I hit 1 med item and am out of hospital, tab across to the attack page and find "you cannot attack this player as they are attacking you"

 

How are they able to jump me within a .5s time of me hitting OK and tabbing to the initiate attack screen, only to find myself locked out from making the attack!?

Emforus [2535044] Wiki Contributor

My memory could be failing me here: There used to be a script that let you attack players before the attack page even loaded. I recall it used to cause severe lag issues during the island war and ended up being banned.

 

Either whatever caused the script to be banned got patched and they're using that one, they're using a different version of the same script that's legal, or they're straight up using an illegal script. Assuming by the fact that you're on a ranked war vs Monarch, I'll assume the 2nd option applies here.

 

I could just be misremembering tho, it's been a long time and this is second-hand info.

The alternative would be: They have 1TB/s connection speed, negative ping, and a supercomputer that loads the attack page in miliseconds.

Hemigidius [2157705]

Think the one you're talking about was the one that just enabled "start attack" button regardless of status, it removed the need to refresh page, so people could spam it.

 

Pretty sure that one got banned

RealTeel [3008047]

There was a script published in the newspaper a while back that would enable the attack button even when someone was traveling or hosped. 

It would allow you to get that extra half second, being able to start loading attack page when hosp time goes to 0 (opposed to waiting until okay status), So maybe this is the case, along with having you on stake out and camping the war page.

 

Edit: what Hemigidius said

JustAndrey [2527016]

Well if you're in a war and your side is turtling then there will be a lot of players sitting on your profile waiting for you to get out of the hospital so they can attack you.

Now I don't know how good your pc or internet is so can't really tell how much is lost in the loading times, but generally assuming you have the same conditions as the enemy, then you have the advantage of being able to decide when you'll get out of the hospital to surprise the enemy. But if he's camping you and expecting you to get out of the hospital anytime he will have slight advantage over you as you have to first spend time medding out and switching to his profile to start an attack while he already is on your profile and can start the attack slightly sooner.

 

I won't pretend that there's absolutely no chance some script is being used, but in my oppinion it's more likely that you're just being camped. It's not unusual that this kinda stuff just happens this fast.

Mad-Dokta [2769130]

Yeah I couldn't tell if it was just my timing, but 4 times in a row within barely a 1 second window with random times of medding out made me think it was most likely  a script, but I didnt want to be assuming anything.

Abetting [2016807]

Looking at how small your faction is and the way that war is going it's likely you're just getting camped. Not very many options to choose from and you're all hosp'd so if anyone is sitting on the page they can immediately jump on you the moment it goes green.

 

Unironically it's probably just a skill issue.

JustAndrey [2527016]

∧ What Sephiroth said

 

There's a lot of ways to move between different tabs and pages and a ton of ways this movement can be optimised, but if you're getting out of the hospital, you will have a disadvantage against a player that knows what he's doing and has the time to camp you.

 

Now I'm not really that well versed into this so I can be entirely wrong, but if the life bar on attack pages updates as fast as the profile status, then the attacker can just camp on your attack page and F5 when he sees your life go up. Assuming minimal communication delay you would have to move your cursor to the attack tab, click it and then F5 - 2 more steps more that you have to do faster than the attacker.

fuck [2669774]

it wasn't banned. they just added artificial lag if u tried to initiate attack when they were in hospital.

Tatsujin [3190375]

I've had input delay too.  Sometimes the time between when you click a button, and when the result actually happens is enough for someone else to slip in who has a faster connection or their command just loaded faster for whatever reason. 

 

Doesn't have to be a script - happens all the time between faction members during a war when we are both camping a target.  We both click the button to kill them at about the same time, someone gets in faster and gets the kill, the scond person gets a page saying they're already in the hospital.  Or you join the fight just in time to see them die.  

 

(edit: formatting)

Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

You're in like a 10 man faction. You're probably the only one online so they are just sitting on your profile. 

Mad-Dokta [2769130]

Skill issue? I will try better to "Git Gud" sir! 

 

Camping? Definitely!

We have been joking to ourselves that these peeps must be on meth benders as a couple were active almost 24/7 for the first 2 days. Then they eventually were offline for hours we thought "they ran out of meth and crashed". Then hours later they showed up again very active and we assumed they picked up and just got back from their dealer lol.

 

 

The reason I questioned the situation is that, I have managed numerous times to cheeseball within the confines of this war and have had to resort to cheese-tactics of going from Selfhosp > Medout > Tap some ass > Selfhosp before a retal. This is on PC with a 1000Mbps/50Mbps network and with all tabs at the ready. 

 

I am however completely screwed if I am not home, attempting the same thing on mobile phone... just...no lol.

 

 

It was only with these 4 attacks where two players were able to keep catching me on each medout and then duo knock me out, which I should have had the upper hand in at least a couple of these initiations, but was instantly blocked on the attack screens which is why I enquired.

 

Would staff be able to see the time between the med out and the time when the attack is initiated on me down to the milliseconds? It would be interesting to know just how fast they were, if it was all without script.