Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Graphic tools

Started by JustJanet [911066] on in Graphics.

3 replies · 77 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 4 / 4 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
4
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
6
Authority score
18 / 100
Historical score
11 / 100
Story score
27 / 100
Engagement score
46 / 100
JustJanet [911066]

So I hope this is a good place to put this.  I am looking for input from artists who use an iPad to draw with. I have been debating on whether to upgrade my very ancient iPad,  but still couldn't pull the trigger even during black Friday sales.  The problem is while I am cheap at heart, I really want to get something to help me with my drawing.  I thought for sure I'd buy the iPad pro 13 inch but when I bundled everything I wanted to buy I was at almost $2k. My cheap heart told me to hold off even with  a $150 off sale going on.  I'm not a professional artist. I am a hobby artist. Maybe I'm better off getting an iPad Air.  For those artists here who use either, can you tell me why you chose what you chose? I use procreate and really enjoy it. I'd like better responses than what my old iPad gives me.

 

I know for sure I want a 13" pad.  I already have the pencil. I bought that before realizing it wasn't compatible with my iPad. it was a great deal so I kept it for the future. My current iPad has only 32gb of storage and it is not  yet full. I still was planning on upgrading to 256gb because I don't believe I'll buy another iPad in the next 8 years so I figure I should have plenty of space. Other than those two decisions, nothing else is firm.

 

I am worried that the only differences the Pro has over the Air are going to be things that won't truly matter to a hobby artist. So anyhow, any input you have would be appreciated.

 

 

 

Those who are anti Apple products... I understand that you are anti Apple.  I am not.  I have all Apple products and even though I have nephews with masters degrees in engineering fields whom I trust completely, they have not been able to convince me to give up my Apple products.  There is nothing you can say that they have not. 

 

My arguments for Apple stem from being so cheap.  My sister who was anti Apple replaced her computers every two years and I have had 4 macs since my first one in 1996 (I've spent around $4k technically only $3.6k that first mac was a gift.) over that time and although I don't know what she spent over that time, I really don't think it's as low as $150 a year. Especially since when she switched to laptops she destroyed one without having insurance to replace it so she bought a new one 3 months after just buying a new one. The money saved in the long run outweighs the cheap initial cost of non apple products.  Granted, right now I am in need of replacing everything... Mac, iPad and Phone, and that really sucks... they all are still usable and I'm not in a huge hurry for anything... enough so that my focus is on the one item that is purely for entertainment.  Both the mac and the phone are essential items in my opinion but while they are old, they still both work. (But I really want a new purple phone!!) 

Nearl [2112777]

I can’t draw well but do so sometimes on my iPad Air with M1 chip. My iPad Air was bought for the purpose of school but I see no problem using it for procreate and Ibis Paint. I do not think Pro is necessary as you can do the heavy stuff on your Mac instead.

edit: this doesn’t count as advertising, does it?

Fluffy-Kitten [2489078]

I’m also a hobby artist, and I absolutely love my ipad pro with pencil. Unless you're a professional artist with a £2k tablet screen, there isn't much that compares. Mine is from 2019 (64gb), and it still works as perfectly as the day I bought it. If you’re concerned about cost, getting a slightly older model that is compatible with your existing pencil is a good way to go and that'll save you enough for a purple phone. That said, if you ever lose your apple pencil (as I have a couple of times), replacing it can be pricey.


Another option you might consider is a drawing tablet for your computer, which can cost as little as £50. These take some getting used to but they’re quite capable and budget-friendly and I use one occasionally when photoshopping.  However, the portability of an iPad makes it unbeatable and its nice the draw while relaxing on the sofa while binge-watching your favourite shows.

HurryKaneK [3384920]

I use an iPad to draw a lot of my art. I have a pro, I was smoking the hopium at the time hoping they would/will make them more like a Mac book, you can draw on. 

 

So that said if you are looking for something to draw on, the Air will do you great I used one for a long time until the hopium hit with the M4 release. 

Get the air. It won’t make a difference when using Procreate or CSP on the iPad.