Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

crime 2.0 dev time

Started by bilbo_boggins [2761682] on in General Discussion.

80 replies · 3.27k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 81 / 81 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Emforus [2535044] Wiki Contributor

I don't need to be a software developer to say the quality and pace of crime 2.0 releases could be a lot better

 

And yet you're ignoring the fact that the devs are/were also working on other features and fixes aside from crimes, like OCs 2.0, Chat 3.0, M'aol & relics, keepsakes, etc.

 

Focusing on a single feature and leaving everything aside is a terrible idea from a development standpoint, you don't need to be a software developer to realize that. The pace of new crimes is slow because there's other higher priority features in development, some that most of the playerbase would agree are more important than a new crime (i.e chat).

 

 

EDIT: To add to that, most of y'all don't realize but for those of us who follow closely all developments regarding crimes, they've been doing small patches and improvements here and there for all crimes. Fix a bug here, add a feature there, tweak these numbers for profit's sake, add items and outcomes for other crimes & OCs later down the line... Plenty of work done in the background regarding crimes. Even when they're not adding a new crime, they're working on improving the existing ones.

Ruan [2563870]

Your complaints might have made a bit more sense if you have finished all the crimes a month ago and now you are just waiting for new ones, but you haven't even finished the ones that are released? 

Maybe you should finish scamming first, then worry about new crimes. 

ZanzerOne [3021029]

Am I in the minority? I'm liking crimes 2.0, some are quite entertaining. This is a 'text-based crime game.' I'll go play gta if I need more than what I'm getting from Torn.

 

Now, my gripe about items and my bazaar, however... I have 25,000 plus items somehow and the math just isn't mathing, if only I could somehow sort and see wtf I have... 

Scuba [512975]

You've been here for all of a few minutes so let me remind you that without an enormous amount of thought, design, and testing from the dev team...

 

  • Massive bugs are created and abused sight-unseen.
  • Major exploits/bug reports cost real-world money through the bounty system.
  • The community is known to abuse bugs for personal gain.
  • Chasing bug abuse and separating genuine players from abusive behaviour is not an easy feat.
  • Torn's infrastructure has been written on older systems and requires extremely careful planning and for people to operate in languages that are not always necessarily today's contemporary standard so that it interplays with all other coding structures.
  • Ideas all go through an exhaustive process that involves a player committee where there is a back-and-forth to ensure community needs are as best-met as possible.
  • Despite the above, Torn's community will always be front-of-mind and a major hurdle to overcome as devs work to manage expectations and meet release schedules all while trying to kindly lubricate all of us for the apparent, deep offense we take to every freely released feature that we bitch and moan about. Ched could drop $500b in each of our accounts tomorrow and dozens of assholes would flood the forum creatively moaning about something. I quite imagine the real-world narcotics budget Ched needs to pump the team with prerelease is extravagant because of players like yourself.
  • Torn has always been about the long-game for players and the dev team follows that.
  • You're obviously ignoring the other 12 crimes released last year which makes for a total of 14 major crimes launched in 2 years along with plenty of major game reworks.
__woodenickle__ [2263400]

thats right! they were planning it back BEFORE respo!  thanks for reminding me, I don't know how hard they were working on crimes back then but we all had good laughs when new features came out before the long anticipated crimes did. I get that all the new stuff was exciting and fun. and yes RW is a great boost to player income.

 

I got to say though, some 2.0's have not been good.  we got chat 2.0 that still breaks everyday with 3.0 due out "soon" 

 

                       Connecting to the server...                          Failed to connect after 3 attempts. Please refresh!!!

 

don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bash on ched or devs here.  I love what they are doing and look forward to the new system.  the game today is much more involved than it was when I got here almost 6 years ago, when crimes 2.0 was already a standing laugh

 

my point was that crimes is incomplete so how complete can OC be if it relies on crimes skills?  hell we are still waiting on more mission givers like Amanda iirc .....

 

the future has many updates in store and I look forward to them all. I just hope they come out before I become an octogenarian 

MasterOfSystem [155541]

I could have paid a programmer from fiver 10 dollars to make that in a week.

 

If you have ever coded in a professional environment before, you'll know that it's way more complex to add features to an almost-20-years-old codebase than it is to add to a new one.

But sure, you totally could pull it of in a week :D

P.s: also, the devs don't focus 100% of the time in crimes 2.0 i'm gonna guess

Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor

imagine if chedburn went into OP's mcdonalds and started moaning about how long it takes to make fries

pestilence101 [445588]

Lmao double all these numbers and they’re still low. The place I work at now doesn’t pay competitively and the absolute lowest a new dev would be offered is $30 per hour. And yes, they require a lot of hand-holding.

 

Top-tier developers easily make far more than $100 per hour. This is true even outside of extremely HCOL areas like SF.

 

This is all USD/US job market since that’s what I’m familiar with. There’s a reason why the job market is oversaturated with new CS grads right now - you can make a great living (compared to many other fields of study) as long as you’re decently mediocre at it.

FirstL15ht [2342206]

I doubt any half-decent, self respecting developer is willing to work for a week for $10 pay.  If you know someone, let me know, I have tons of projects for them to work on.

emilski33 [2420811]

I’m sure you could pay a developer a decently low rate to create a clone of the scamming minigame UI and have it done in about a week or two. 

However, the hard part of game development is usually not implementation, but game design. For example:

 

  • What crime are we making next? What makes sense in the order of difficulty? What category will it be in?
  • What are the main mechanics for this crime? How difficult is it? Is it mindless or very active? 
  • How many sub crimes should there be? What are their mechanics? What is the nerve cost?
  • Are we requiring educations? Do we need to make new ones?
  • Are any items required to do this crime? How many? Do we need to create new ones? Are they consumed on use? What’s the enhancer? How does it help?
  • How big should the payout ranges be? Will it reward items or money? If items, which ones? How many? Are there unique outcomes? How will it affect the economy?
  • What are the success rates for each sub crime? How do CE and CS affect that?
  • What are the punishments for failure?
  • How does each sub crime affect CE and CS gain? How fast can a user reach CS100? Using how much nerve?
  • How many of this crime do we want a user to complete a day? Are we time gating it or allowing a player’s nerve to limit the max number of attempts a day?
  • What will the UI look like?
  • What will the logs look like?

 

Each of these questions requires a lot of work, way more depth than I could fit in a forum post, and testing to answer.


Then you have to find time between bug fixes and your other priorities to implement it, integrate it with the rest of torn, update the api, work with a 20 year old code base, and get yelled at on the forums for not doing it fast enough. 

I’m a big Crimes 2.0 fan and definitely wish we got crimes more frequently, but we won’t get them any faster by belittling the work the devs do.

Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

Our developers are paid between 22% and 37% higher than the UK average for front-end / back-end developers, not including the bonuses we also provide. Development is not an area we cheap out on, the entire team is highly rewarded for their efforts. I have had plenty of experience with cheap contractors and junior developers over the years, Torn has outgrown that - we only accept the very best, and only if they show genuine enthusiasm, motivation, and ability to use their initiative. I'm happy to say that every single one of them is a better developer than I am, and I've got 20 years of experience, if that means anything :)

 

I think a lot of people forget the sheer scale of Torn, and the amount of projects we have in progress at any one time. A very rough example of the developer priorities appears in the weekly patch lists which I think showcases this pretty well, although I'm hoping to expand on this further next year to showcase what developers are actually doing rather than just their major priorities - which often they don't even get to each week because they have so many other tasks.

 

Even if, as a player, you may think releases are slow or lackluster, the proof is in the pudding. As we watch Torn reach new heights, it's clear that our continued investment, and all the work we're doing behind the scenes is paying off.

If you don't like the specific style of Torn and think it looks low-quality or cheap, well I'm sorry, but there's not much I can do about that - they appear exactly as intended.

 

 

It's HARD work, and the end user doesn't notice or care because it typically doesn't have a big performance benefit.  

It is very hard, but necessary if we want Torn to last effectively forever.

SakiSweet [2062286]

Ahh but we are looking at lower level crimes that are neatly designed to give noobs more opportunities to make money. So they set a few things at a gas station, spend some time searching a beach, and maybe evan scam somebody. From a newcomers point of view these are all great ways to make the cash they didn't before.  It was hard for newbies to make money before crimes2.0 and now it is viable as some of the lower crimes developed provided items needed for some of the higher crimes.  Let the devs take their time. I prefer quality over quantity

 

Besides how many other texr based games have you been interested in long enough to play for 6 years?

Hemigidius [2157705]

All we see as users is the finished UI, we don't see the million lines of code under the hood all having to work together.

 

I think that most of us understand how much work you and the team do, it's only small/close minded people that can't understand so just decide to complain. 

 

Screw the haters!