Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

.

Started by Soapy [3219787] on in Graveyard.

79 replies · 58 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 80 / 80 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

Was ready to rage bc Cavill's my boy, but Soapy and Cavill's defends in the past few months are similar to mine, with much fewer bounties received... Brockman kind of sucks at this just saying.

 

Shit when I do this we get a treaty or apology within 30 mins. Git gud bro.

_T_ [1009930]

It looks like the dude is going through something personal, and his anger and actions are carrying over to "this" aspect of his life.    

 

Since you guys are posting here looking for "compassion for your cause," maybe show him a little and let it die. He'll get bored, run out of money, and go away eventually. You, however, trying to make a public spectacle of someone who obviously has "other issues" going on does nothing to help your case.  

 

 

In simpler words. I have 0 desire to come running to your aid because you expose the private messages & profile of someone who seems either physically sick or suicidal.  

Soapy [3219787]

I'm not reposting hate speech. I'll put it like this: he used a big no-no homophobic slur word and I don't play that. Staff has the receipts. If you need proof for your own personal satisfaction or whatever move on to a different post. 

JustJanet [911066]

 

“But if you choose to advertise it publicly like you do, you also need to be prepared for the potential backlash that comes with it.”

 

You do know this is complete bullshit right?  

 

“There’s hate in the world. If you claim membership with a group and get hate for it, that’s on you.”

 

I know on Torn it’s possible to not show skin color, gender, sexual orientation and such if one never talks about anything, but that’s pretty difficult with anyone actually attempting to be their authentic self.  It’s impossible in the world outside of Torn. 

 

Here in Torn I have seen people who can semi successfully hide some core part of themselves for years. You know what I observed from my experience with a person like that on this game? All that lying couldn’t hide that they were often toxic with serious anger and xenophobic attitudes. That part never seems to get hidden well. 

 

One cannot hide the core bits of themselves easily.

 

Hate happens and we absolutely should find ways to remove ourselves from the uninvited abuse of another if we can’t easily remove the hater. We shouldn’t do it by hiding who we are at our core though. Denouncing hatred and intolerance or pointing out the wrongness of it isn’t the problem.  Being who we are isn’t the problem.  The hater is the problem. We never want to get that confused. The targets of their hate aren’t the blame for the hater’s hate. 

It rarely foments hate to talk about your spouse if you are not gay.  Nobody suggests to a heterosexual that they not speak about their spouse. A gay man brings up his husband and intolerant people want to say he’s forcing his gayness down their throats when all he’s doing is existing as a spouse. 

A woman wears a beautiful outfit that shows her body and she’s condemned for drawing attention to herself and sometimes even blamed for her abuse because “she’s asking for it the way she’s dressed.” No she isn’t. She’s just f**king existing!! 

No. People don’t have to stop identifying who they are. They aren’t the ones with the problem. Attempting to blame them for their abuse because they exist as a member of a hated community is ignorant and only serves to promote hate.  

 

The_Virginian [2799939]

We aren't interested in joining your lynch mob or pity party. If you're being legitimately harassed, report it to staff.

 

You're ruining it for people who are legitimately harassed here.

Fiber [2009106]

Lol, in no way do I see your point, or the 'we' you are refering to. How is posting about a dumb player and his dumb actions ruining anything for anyone else being harassed?

The_Virginian [2799939]

I'm suggesting that when people come here and say dumb shit like the op is or present it in wuch a way as to not be taken seriously, people will become more and more indifferent and ignore when people are legitimately being harassed.

DuncanTheDrunk [914570]

I would agree, personally I'd rather be training, but as long as he keeps putting bounties and flight delays I'm going to keep hitting. When he first changed his profile around and we hadn't heard anything from him I immediately reached out to his leadership and asked for them to check on him. It wasn't long after he went back to hurling abuse at my members and myself.

 

I think he should probably step away and cool down, but I'm also not going to turn a blind eye to him trying to bully my members off of the game.

DEFCON [3118703]

Look, the reality is that while no one deserves hate, people do play a role in how they present themselves to the world. If you choose to flaunt your identity or beliefs publicly, you have to be prepared for the backlash that can come with it. It’s not fair, but it’s a harsh truth. 

Driving your expensive car in a bad neighborhood and then acting shocked when someone tries to take it is just naive. The same goes for openly identifying with a group that’s often targeted. If you’re out there making a statement, don’t be surprised when some people react negatively.

 

That doesn’t make it right; it just is what it is. The world is full of intolerance, and pretending otherwise is just playing into a fantasy. Being yourself shouldn’t come with fear of retribution, but if you’re broadcasting your identity, you need to understand that not everyone is going to accept it. So, while we should absolutely condemn hate, let’s not act like there aren’t consequences to how we choose to express ourselves. It’s a tough pill to swallow, but it’s the truth.

DuncanTheDrunk [914570]

I have a bit of an update. 

 

Someone in Brockman's faction has reached out to us letting us know he is having a rough time at the moment and that most like fueled this outburst. While his language is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned, I still consider this matter concluded. I am here to protect my members and will do so as best as I am able, but I don't want to drive people away from the game. We're going to lay off of him as long as he steers clear of us.

 

I want to thank everyone for the support they've shown, most of you guys are awesome.

Soapy [3219787]

I officially extend an olive branch to you, Brockman5000. Reach out if you'd like to talk any time. If not, I wish you the best of luck.

Cavill [3303003]

Hey, just entering the fray here.

 

I always hate coming to the forums for beef, since, quite frankly, the public mob has never really been palatable for me.

I appreciate the support, rage, criticism, annoyance, alternative viewpoints and most everything that's been said here.

I myself have gathered logs, screenshots and chats to prepare for possibly taking it to the forums if need be. I think it won't be necessary for me to say anything/ bring anything forward because I believe we are successfully squashing this.

 

I don't know everything my faction members did, I assume a few bounties were put on Brockman, but besides Duncan (my faction leader) hosping him (and the initial mug that set him off), I don't think anything else was done. (maybe some TP or stink bombs, but again, he did that to many of us, wouldn't have been out of the norm/  it would constitute an 'appropriate use of force')

 

For context, I was the first person to be "involved" with Brockman. He mugged me 3 different times, the first 2 (for 2m then 100k) were stealth, but I knew it was the same guy thanks to his plunder weapon and respect, but the third mug was a buymug for just shy of 1m. So the initial "offense" against me was 3 mugs stealing 3m. As Duncan said, he stole 2.6m back from Brockman, which was what set him on this tirade.

 

I think enough has been done. I don't think we need to beat this horse to the ground, and for that reason, I would like to personally ask everyone, especially those not currently involved to not put any bounties on or attack either my faction or Brockman. I wanted to seek a peaceful solution before taking it to the forums, but I was willing to do so, as can be corroborated by most people that I've talked to.

 

And I didn't want to take it to the forums because -- from what I've seen on the forums -- people are quick to throw around a few million just for some chaos. I figured people would bounty me for kicks and giggles without reading anything, and I knew that the Torn mob would probably use excessive force against him after seeing everything he did. I only would have been willing to put it to the jury after there was no possibility of reconciliation or peace (no reasonable possibility; we're not kicking Soapy from our faction. I'm leaving Torn before he does).

 

So please, everyone, leave him be. If he stops, we'll stop. And I don't want outside people unnecessarily continuing the drama after we've settled things.

 

(edit: I was writing this and going back and forth between my computer and house stuff, so I didn't see those new posts)

 

TL;DR - I think the issues are ending. If they continue ... get your popcorn, cuz I like telling stories.

Chirrut_Imwe [2827523]

A Torn City Tale of Petty Spite,

 

A faction feud, a childish fight.

Brockman500, in clownish shoes,

Toilet-papered P.I. blues.

 

A mugging next, a punch down low,

A veteran's pride began to flow.

A message sent, a laugh declared,

A can of worms, unprepared.

 

Then hateful words, a slur so vile,

A homophobic, angry style.

Reported swift, to staff's keen eye,

A warning given, reaching high

 

But rage ignited, a burning fire,

Merc hits rained, fueling his ire.

Bounties placed, and flights delayed,

A petty war, intensely played.

 

Attacks relentless, a constant stream,

Another message, a hateful scream.

Before he blocked, the final blow,

His simple hatred started to grow.

 

"You will not succeed," the message clear,

"Torn's not yours, nor held in fear."

His petty acts, a futile quest,

Against the players, standing blessed.

 

Brockman's hate, a darkened stain,

Has no place here, in Torn's domain.

May light prevail, and wisdom find,

A change of heart, and peace of mind.

 

Soapy's words, a truth revealed,

The second message, also sealed.

Reported too, for all to see,

That hate speech finds no victory.

 

[image: media1.tenor.com]