Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Blackjack splitting

Started by Pratticus [3592880] on in Gambling.

5 replies · 147 views · thread synced · 11 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 6 / 6 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
6
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
0
Authority score
35 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
35 / 100
Engagement score
49 / 100
Pratticus [3592880]

Hello, first and probably only post here:

 

Why is it that when you split, the dealer plays two hands against you? I’ve never heard or seen that. Is it some European style?? How does that affect odds??? Probably negatively I think… 

 

Thanks,

- average American 

 

DadGum [3158823]

When you split in a real game, you play both of your own hands against the same dealer hand. Not one of them, and then deal entirely different dealer cards vs your second hand.

Agheg [3432684]

I guess it might be because you are always playing solo, or at least thats why its actually a viable system to use. Other than that i have no idea

grimm210 [3223440]

Probably a code limitation in that it's easier (backend wise) to "save" a card for your next hand. Playing against the same dealer hand would require saving the state of your previous (first split) deal to prevent dealing from a used hand and overriding a potential shuffle rather than just allowing the game to run as two separate instances with (potentially) a shuffle in between.

Edit: Fundamentally it probably doesn't hurt the odds much since the game runs with at least 4 decks (I've personally seen it throw four of a kind on-suit) but it does limit player information, much like playing solo does.

Celtic [3569967]

It does hurt the odds though. Because it throws classic blackjack strategy clean out the window. If I chose to split 8s because the dealer is showing a 5 , it's because ideally   I want to paint them and hit two 18s , winning twice. The amount  of times I forget the dealer isn't going to play his 5 for both hands and they then get a much better deal for his second is infuriating ( I fully accept that this is a skill / me issue , but still) . What should have been a double win very often ends up being an overall push .