Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Elden Ring

Started by BAMF [483185] on in Gaming.

13 replies · 63 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
9
Authority score
8 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
33 / 100
Engagement score
54 / 100
BAMF [483185]

I just started my first DarkSouls. And boy am I learning how challenging it is. Does anyone have any tips for a beginner Elden Ring player. Tips, tricks, etc..

Currently I'm level 30 Samurai build and just trying to get combat down and avoid bigger bosses.

 

System: Xbox

 

Any help much appreciated! 

Ptilops [3256971]

My #1 tip is to explore everything, my #2 is don't limit yourself to just one play style, especially for a first playthrough.

 

Look at your map and you'll see things like cave entrances where you'll find new weapons, upgrade materials etc. that will really help you get started.

 

If you explore a lot you'll find a load of gear you'll benefit from trying out. It might be more fun to use than your current gear so you can pivot partway in. It's not 100% efficient to do so but that really doesn't matter as much as some people make out.

 

Elden ring is also much easier mechanically than any other souls game, but beware the bosses in the second half of the game. Input reading and random delays make some of them a chore to fight compared to the easier early bosses in ER or the formulaic design of other souls game bosses.

Brockman5000 [1461425]

I've been watching some youtubers go through Elden Ring just to see where I was going wrong and honestly the only advise that can say would echo what Ptilops had already said; explore EVERYTHING. Every nook and cranny on the map, there is almost always something there to pick up and/fight enemies and bosses.

 

Elden Ring is awesome even though I am hot garbage at it. if you got the extra time and money, you should try out Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. I completed both of those and DS3 was my entry into the franchise.

RobberHood [2361494]

Jumping can be better than rolling to dodge and almost everywhere becomes *relatively* easy if you just farm runes and level up. I did one play through basically being carried by people through bosses and my second I just used spirit summons.

 

Different bosses have different weaknesses which can reduce the difficulty significantly if you know but overall I'm shite at the game still and have rarely felt like I was kicking ass except when I was massively over levelled for an area 

BAMF [483185]

Level 50 now and I can say exploring has been amazing. The map is just insane and not having to load in from one side to the other and still render everything beautiful is just awesome. 

 

I did get BloodFang sword and just love it. The possibilities of what weapons and armor to mix and match is overwhelming a little bit but I do see the bigger picture with the game. It's not a run and gun it's a take your time and figure out what you can and can not do but also testing your skills. 

 

Beating the Tree Sentinel was a great achievement for me :D

BAMF [483185]

I havent found a good rune farm yet but have been looking. I also dont want to overdue it and then the game be real easy because I am liking the challenge. 

RobberHood [2361494]

I think it's never real easy tbh, especially bosses, late game areas and especially if you're going for a samurai build. Magic kinda makes things easy-ish but going toe to toe with bosses with a sword is always gonna be quite tricky imo

0xHemlock [2662912]

Coming in late, but I am a huge fan of this game. Beat the main game 4-5 times, beat the DLC twice, and I've started a new profile to help a friend find his way through as well.

Looks like you're doing great already. My tips:

 

  • Weapon stats aren't everything. Within the same class of weapon, weapons can have different swing speeds, movesets, and range. I would recommend trying new weapons even if the stats appear to be lower than what you're already using.
  • Don't try to play every mechanic at once. If you're using Sorceries, leave Incantations behind. If you're standing toe-to-toe with every boss, don't bring a dagger. If you're working Bleed and Poison, maybe don't also try to add Frostbite into the mix. Try everything, but keep your strategy simple.
  • Consumables. Use them. Throw pots, eat the turtle neck, etc.
  • You probably haven't leveled your Vigor enough. Put a few more points in that.
  • Don't sprint through new areas. That's an easy way to miss loot, get ambushed, or suddenly locate the nearest pit.

 

I'm also on Xbox. Let me know if you'd like a buddy to summon in for a boss fight. I'm not the best at the game, but still enjoy the harder fights :)

BloodBaker [3406986]

Well, for 1st time DS player, actually I highly recommend strat from DS3 instead of Elden Ring, cuz Elden Ring got pretty unbalanced late game & DLC, definitely tough for new players

BAMF [483185]

Yea I’m almost done with DLC and my goodness very challenging. I’ve noticed how lost I am in quest. Bad habit of just not paying attention waiting for a fight. Definitely excited for next play through