I've always had a Linux distro installed. Usually Linux Mint or Ubuntu. It's really nice to just have full control of the machine. I also took a linux course in college which was awesome, so even after years of not using it I can pretty easily get into the command line and do what I want.
And btw the Wine is not an emulator. But it's really not an emulator, it takes all the windows system calls and translates them to linux, which is quite different than emulation. I just made my first emulator the other day that emulates the Apple 1.
Linux.
Started by Nadbash [2183654] on in Technology.
Posts archived: 26 / 26 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
It's also one of Linux's "clever" moments of wordplay. I get it, it's not an emulator by strict definition. I just get exhausted with all the terminology pedantry that comes with opening your mouth about Linux.
Staff Edit - Spamming
Staff Edit - Spamming
That's fair, hey it does what you want/need it to do which is run windows programs on linux, and I've heard it has gotten quite a bit better since I used it last probably over 10 years ago. I'm just a nerd so don't mind my pedantry, I simply think the technology is really cool
Agreed. I wish the Linux community was more welcoming, lots of Windows refugees are going to come over for the same reason I did, and I think a lot of them are going to bounce off of Linux and land straight in Apple's arms because of all the eye-rolling and "git gud" bullshit.