I'm working on something I'm not sure which way to take it yet. I am interested in space travel and have a (rough) idea of either a story, video game, or animated series.
For reference, I work in a very hands on, practical field and do not have a great understanding of science, metallurgy, or engineering but have a basic knowledge and have researched a fair amount. Forgive me for any dumb questions, as I'm considered an expert at work...but my work is not in this field, hence it being kind of a pet project/hobby.
I want to create something where in the not so distant future mankind is able to farm a fuel that acts as a stable space traveling agent. Stable and potent enough to reach a (made up) speed I dub Earth Sun Rotation (ESR) or 67k miles per hour (107826.05kmph). ESR would become the official base speed measurement for space travel, i.e ESR 1 = 67,000 mph. Given that 67k mph is fast for us now, but very slow for space travel, improvements would be made to go faster, hence ESR .01 would now be 67,000 mph. ESR 1.0 would be 6,700,000 mph...this would of course increase etc until close to light speed where I'd have much disposition (fear of what would happen if going past light speed etc).
I need help with, and it doesn't have to be rooted in exact science (but close enough to seem plausible):
1. A material that could be mined from our solar system, creating a fuel that allows ESR speeds. A simple google search (forgive my lack of actual research) says: The gas giant planets in our solar system, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune are considered to be primarily composed of a gaseous state, although their interiors contain a mix of gases and liquids under immense pressure.
- with ESR speeds these could be mined and the mined liquid would result in (fake name of super gas), I chose Malentium.
2. A strong material that could coat space ships like a spray, or a material that could be infused with Graphene (Earth's most durable material) to allow for such fast travel (asteroids would cause no damage with this made-up material added to ships). I chose the name Adiseen.
3. A weapon that can fire projectiles faster than 67000mph, and penetrate the aforementioned Adiseen coated armor to stop asteroids and space debris. (Armor Piercing High Explosive projectile)...(I want to stay away from lasers as that would be to advanced). Even a rail gun only shoots about 5k mph. With the vastness of space, slowing to 67k mph would seem slow...but that would be the 'battle' speed.
Thanks, this is a work in progress and I'm also working with some people on Reddit to develop concept art.
Edit: I'm not looking for something like The Expanse realistic (if it is), or if Neil deGrass Tysone finds it perfect, but to where the average person enjoys it and someone in the space field would appreciate some correlation to realism. I.E. They never reload their firearm vs take cover, reload, then get back into the fight.