Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Older player abuse?

Started by Cthaeh [3719385] on in Questions & Answers.

15 replies · 204 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 16 / 16 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
16
Discussion span
→
People posting
10
Likes on archived posts
32
Authority score
45 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
37 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100
Cthaeh [3719385]

I get it, older, richer players should certainly have a degree of influence. But... Hear me out.

 

I found a nice musical store to help me with happy and gym unlocking. I started working there. And the director is pretty cool. Then one lvl100 player called dumbass (unironically) sent me some personal screenshot and told me to leave the corp cuz he had beef with the owner? That felt like some childish bullying, so I blocked him.

 

Since then, he sends tens of bounties through the bounty hunters guild and TPs my spouse's PI periodically. He doesn't only harass me. All the noobs who work for the corp get the same exact treatment. It's a bit annoying. I get it, I get it: normally, a level 100 player would have enough dignity to not be petty. But exceptions exist. Shouldn't there be a limitation of some kind to prevent this? I get the game mechanics and all that, but this feels like outright abuse. You effectively can prevent any noob completely from playing by spamming 100k bounties and destroying their happy with a few TPs? I get the waiting out idea, and that's fair. I could as well just leave the corp, but that does feel crappy. Feels like the bully wins, doesn't it?

 

Shouldn't really there be some kind of preventative mechanic? 

 

I know that there are many ways to remedy or even capitalize on countless bounties. But it's still annoying. Like I missed my 7-day roulette streak yesterday (I'm going for the merit) because I just couldn't complete it over 50 bounties on my ass. Was constantly hospitalized. Seems like I'm getting more of that today too.

 

Any advice from more experience players who went through this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BypXByp [3243346]

TL;DR: An older player is bullying me because he doesn't like the owner of the company I work for.  What do?

 

-----

 

I've not been in a situation like this myself, but I would say making a post like this is what not to do.

 

As with most "bullying", if you ignore it, it stops.

 

There really can't be a "mechanic" to stop this.  Torn is a relatively self-governing system.  And you, at 16 days old with 8 enemies, is a sign of the system working just as it should.

Cthaeh [3719385]

An item that prevents any attacks on you unless you perform a hostile action for 15 minutes with a cooldown of like 6 hours shouldn't harm anything, but would prevent completely locking a noob in a hospital? no? Limit its usage to below level 25, or make it have some disadvantages to use like reduced happy on usage?

 

I guess it's ez to just assume the game is perfect as it is. But no game is ever perfect and there are always flaws to fix.

Warriordud [3177526]

at first glance that may sound like a good idea, but it would very rapidly be used by traders and ruin the risk of mugging in trades

 

which also at first glance may sound like a good idea...but the game wouldn't be fun without risk, and there's already plenty of solid ways to protect yourself pretty well from muggings

 

the owner himself has said that he doesn't like how little risk there is in the game already, this would only make that issue worse, so probably wouldn't be added

 

 

there's also the issue that like i said, it would be used by traders a lot, which would have high demand by people who can afford high prices, so it wouldn't even be buyable by the noobs as you intended

Cthaeh [3719385]

I see. Thanks, Warriordud. Traders already use hospitals for that, but I guess there are different mechanics that this would affect. Anyhow, just feels counterintuitive that any high level can essentially force any casual noob to quit.

Broxogar [2728258]

My advice is, don't block.  Don't respond or react in any way.

The vast majority of players couldn't care less when / if you block them, that being said it is ironically the people you want to 'block' that are likely to care.

Next time you receive a message like that simply ignore it, as in don't respond, just close the chat.

Cthaeh [3719385]

Thanks, I wish there was a way to sneakblock the person without letting them know they're blocked, but having their messages not popping up in my chat.

Broxogar [2728258]

There is a sneak block it's called 'close the chat'.

But no, you can't avoid that one simple action.  You can however turn off chats from people you don't know (won't work here if you've interacted with whoever it is).

Overseer [2143302]

His goal is to hurt the owner of the company, not you specifically. This is a fairly common thing though usually highly ineffective. Take it as a risk free chance to learn how to play around shit like this. 

undo [2090073]

I had that happen once when I was a couple of months old (the player wasn't level 100, because there weren't many level 100s back then, but he was high-level and much stronger than me). 

 

He still plays. I passed his stats a couple of years ago. He will feel my wrath when I feel like beating the crap out of someone. 

 

Revenge is a dish best served cold. 

Emarlite [2441561]

I've seen items like what you describe on other games, unfortunately this is not one of those types of games!

 

As Overseer above says, this lvl100 has nothing against you, but against the director of the company 

We've all seen it quite a few times, it can also happen with faction memberships.

 

It seems that person bountying you is spending quite a bit of $$ if they're putting sane value bounties on all the employees of the company.

 

You have pretty much 2 choices, stick it out and hope he gets bored and decides to save his cash when it doesn't seem to be working, 

Or secondly, find a different music store

Jinkoha [3372604]

Stick it out man, I got 300 bounties for winning at poker when I was a few months. It sucks but the moment you realize they’re wasting time and resources on doing so just get out of the hospital as much as you can.

 

Firstly get your intravenous blood bag education done ASAP. 

Second, buy like 3 mil in blood bags. 

Third, max out your med cool down using a combination of meds to get out of the hospital, minimizing how much med cool down you’re using at a time.

 

And hey, join a warring faction. 😁 best thing you can do, you can dip out of the hospital as much as you’d want during war. They’ll periodically stop bountying you.