Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Amazon Pay

Started by Antagonisto [3435840] on in Questions & Answers.

17 replies · 166 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 18 / 18 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
18
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
10
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
66 / 100
Historical score
28 / 100
Story score
34 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100

Most-liked replies

Antagonisto [3435840]

I want too pass on a situation I have incountered for the SECOND time now regarding paying with Amazon Pay that others that do the same might want too check on themselves.

First I'm a very meticulous person when it comes too my finances, I check my bank statements monthly for charges that I'm not familiar with or things I didn't sign up for but am getting suddenly charged for. I have always paid for my donator status on Torn through Amazon Pay even though I don't want too pay that way.....I'd rather use simple debit or a credit card without Amazon as a third party. This month, and this is the second time this has occured, I checked my statement and saw my Torn donator status go through followed by me being charged for "Amazon Prime." I don't buy anything from Amazon and my account exists only too pay for Torn. Last month there was no charge for "Amazon Prime" and the month before that. Back in Februrary I got the same charge and cancelled it at that time and everything went fine until now when once again I got charged for "Amazon Prime" again. I called and of course they cancelled the charge again like last time but I insisted they tell me how I was signed up for "Amazon Prime" and after wasting alot of my time they couldn't give me any kind of proper answer.

I would seriously consider if any of you pay through Amazon Pay for Torn and don't have "Amazon Prime" already of you're own choice too check if you are getting charged for it without you're knowledge because this is the SECOND time I have "mysteriously" been getting signed up and charged for "Amazon Prime" that I certainly didn't sign up for. This is why I hate paying through third-parties for anything. I may have had the charges reversed each time but thats not the point, it's how it is happening in the first place which I believe is nefarious billing practices of Amazon. I just wanted too pass on this advice too others in case it is happening too them too, cheers

 

Antagonisto

bogie [148747] Admin Staff
  • They used Amazon Pay to purchase donator status in Torn.

  • After the payment, they noticed an unauthorized charge on their bank statement for "Amazon Prime."

  • They did not sign up for Amazon Prime, don't shop on Amazon, and only have the account to pay for Torn.

  • This is the second time this has happened — the first time was in February, and they had it cancelled.

  • After this second charge, they again contacted Amazon, got it refunded, but Amazon couldn’t explain how or why the Prime membership was activated.

 

Is this right? It doesn't sound like anything to do with us, more likely you signed up for Prime perhaps on a free trial and forgot...?

EgoParadox [2096071]

TL-DR- Got charged for amazon prime few times without signing up.

 

I'm not surprised. I might need double check my account as well. 

Antagonisto [3435840]

Yes it is right........and it has absolutely nothing too do with Torn either

 

I did not sign up for anything, free trial or otherwise, with Amazon either this month or back in Februrary when it happened the first time. This is Amazon causing the problem and not Torn itself. 

Antagonisto [3435840]

I have no blame towards Torn for this at all, it's got nothing too do with them, but it's going too reflect badly on them regardless because if this happens again I will be closing my account with Amazon completely which will no longer allow me too pay for Donator Status too Torn (I won't use PayPal or BitCoin as I don't trust either with my banking information.) So Torn will lose my personal payment and me as a player because of something they had no hand in causing because I don't have the option of paying them directly from debit or credit card which I find strange....why am I forced to use a third party too pay Torn and can't pay them directly? I have played many online games over my lifetime and not a single one of them wouldn't have an option to pay directly by credit card or debit. Is there some reason in particular Torn forces me too pay this way?

Abetting [2016807]

Try changing your password. Perhaps your account has been compromised and someone else is doing it on your behalf. Check your orders on your amazon account to verify nothing has been ordered while you're at it.

Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

This is almost ALWAYS user error. Amazon has your information, so it's very easy for them to sneak a link in on you that would activate an amazon prime trial. Is it dirty, yes, absolutely, but it's common practice to always try to get people to sign up for their premium service with any means necessary. 

 

In the end, this is not a Torn issue. There are other ways to pay so if Amazon isn't working for you, you can try something else. 

 

I won't use PayPal or BitCoin as I don't trust either with my banking information.

 

I understand BitCoin. But you don't trust PayPal? It's interesting to me that you'd rather trust a mega corporation like Amazon that is constantly trying to force you to pay for their premium service without your consent over the banking app that's accepted almost everywhere worldwide. 

 

I've had my Paypal account for around 20 years, and the only thing they've done to me was save me money.

Lantian [3029152]

PayPal is also part of a mega corporation owned by Ebay however, I do agree that it is probably the most trusted and safest online payment service.

 

On the other hand. Amazon will take every opportunity to take your money for subscriptions. I once had to complain to the CEO for their f***up because customer services did not want to refund my subscription that was incorrectly taken.

 

Could not live without Amazon, but really need to be careful with them...

 

Antagonisto [3435840]

Too be perfectly honest I've never used PayPal and never had an account with them.....but I trust them as much as I trust Amazon, and thats not much. I just again find it strange I am forced too pay a 3rd party to pay Torn. I would like too pay Torn directly, no middle man involved at all and if I have a payment issue I can deal with it directly with my bank or credit card. The ironic thing here is I trust Torn here itself more then I trust Amazon or BitCoin.

Here's a silly explanation of whats happening.....I'm trying to pay a guy named Torn for a game of his I play, Torn tells me I have to pay the guy standing beside him and he'll pay Torn for the game. Even if I say I'd rather just pay you Torn for the game and not give it too this guy beside you. Torn says you have too, it's the only way I'll accept you're payment. I'm wondering like wtf? What a weird situation this is......it doesn't feel right

Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

I imagine a lot of it has to do with currency exchanging and seller protection systems. Paypal allows basically anyone to pay with any currency and they'll do the exchange to your local currency for you. They also offer options for subscriptions, invoicing, as well as protection from chargebacks. Then you also have the brand familiarity. It's accepted worldwide and is a recognized and trusted brand, which actually increases the odds of people completing their purchase. Paypal also has buyer protections that you can't get with a credit card, so a lot of people only purchase from sites that provide it as an option. 

 

I don't know what Amazon does, but being it's an exchange system it's probably very similar.

 

The point being it's easier to sell your products with a trusted brand like Paypal or Amazon than it is to take the creditcard payments yourself. The business is protected, and the consumer is protected. 

 

One of the biggest problems with accepting credit card numbers directly is security. You must have far more robust security measures in place to ensure you're protecting customer data. Also, any chargebacks or fraud ends up being on your end, which for a small team like Torn employs, that's a lot of work. It's easier letting someone else do it for you. Also setting up the processing system is a lot more complicated, even more so when you're dealing with other currencies, so it's easier to let a third party process and handle that for you. 

 

So when you just go to a store in your home town, you won't run into any of the problems associated with online sales. The third parties exist because that's exactly the kind of stuff that they specialize in. They handle it all for you, that's their job. They do it so you can do your job. 

Antagonisto [3435840]

"Almost ALWAYS"

 

You get that starting with an oxymoron is.......pretty wild. Like Jumbo Shrimp, Army Intelligence, and I'm a little bit pregnant

 

It was not user error regardless of how almost ALWAYS you believe it is. Amazon wasn't even able too provide me a decent explanation of where the subscription came from. Also nothing has been ordered on my account or anything like that either, just Amazon Prime. Now in this situation the only person/entity that would profit off this transaction in any way is Amazon with a subscription charge. They are far wealthy enough then too be taking my money in such a shady way.....it feels intentional too me

Antagonisto [3435840]

RE: One of the biggest problems with accepting credit card numbers directly is security. You must have far more robust security measures in place to ensure you're protecting customer data. Also, any chargebacks or fraud ends up being on your end, which for a small team like Torn employs, that's a lot of work. It's easier letting someone else do it for you. Also setting up the processing system is a lot more complicated, even more so when you're dealing with other currencies, so it's easier to let a third party process and handle that for you. 

 

Now there is something I didn't give much consideration of as a reason for not accepting credit cards/debit. I'll admit thats a good point you bring up

Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

Of course it was intentional. And it was definitely something that you did accidentally on your end. So mock me all you want, but you clicked something and didn't read the fine print. That's 100% what happened. 

 

Nobody gets to the mega corporation level without swindling a few people a long the way.

 

Small print exists for a reason. It's all very intentional. 

Antagonisto [3435840]

We'll agree too disagree and leave it at that regarding the "definitely" something I did on my end.....the rest of it I agree completely. Even I'm not deluded enough too think I know 100% what happened when it didn't involve me personally seeing how it took place. However I'm not here too go over the details just pass on the end result of what happened so it might help someone else notice it happening too them, not too debate how or even why it happened....so as far as I'm concerned the matter is closed too me and I don't have anything further too add......now if you are one of those people who needs the last word feel absolutely free too state it in reply, the arena is all your's.....I'm simply moving on. Have a nice day though

 

Antagonisto