Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Do You Regret Your Starter Faction?

Started by Demero [2921830] on in General Discussion.

161 replies · 2.16k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 162 / 162 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

pussy [2797641]

Vigilantes was a good start, they taught me a good lesson, something I will never forget overall: 

 

1) Why would you e-dvd instead of rehabbing after an overdose?? 

 

I mean... duh.. but it's a good thing to tell a noob who asks you that dumb question 

 

And as for #2 

 

2) If you max your bank, you can afford everything you need for the month to month, including 3 xanax and some other expenditures (rehab etc.) so it pays for everything 

 

I mean... great advice - I took this to heart, and while I chose my own path later in the game, it definitely bonused me a lot to be able to grow my stats and long term be a better player 

 

tldr; even not amazing top-end factions can benefit you long term, sometimes even just people who care and want to see you grow are the best people to be around 

Hogfather [330973]

My first was a faction called "The Treehouse".

 

It was.. ... terrible.

 

All we ever did was some basic OC's and when I tried to get them to chain nobody did.

 

Later joined another faction and we eneded up zeroing them.

 

Bonus: Soon after this, factions went through a bit of a crisis point, the game didn't really know what to do with them. So you had "peaceful" only factions you couldn't war against, and then you had the "1 respect drop der day per member" that caused mass kicks from some factions.

 

Wasn't a fun time if you were still on the fence about joining a faction or not.

Jinkoha [3372604]

Nah, I throughly enjoyed the process of a new faction, learned quite a lot. The possibly gains I could’ve made will forever be a mystery to me unfortunately 😾

Beerstein [1322136]

I think new ones are fine for new players. The problem is ALL non feeder factions are built to try to hold them so many move on way later than they should because everyone is what's an attempt at a cult essentially.

 

I'd have to say the best way would actually enable factions to set recruitment standards.

 

So things that could be converted to recruitment filter standards:

 

Past 30 days (avg)

------------------

Currently recruiting toggle { x }

Xanax per day

Activity per day

Energy Refills per day

Total battle stats

 

With the following filters, factions could set standards requiring players to meet all of them. In addition, allowing players to apply to another faction WHILE in a faction. Once/if accepted they can leave and go join.

 

In addition to this, a persistent list of factions you qualify for (based on above standards as set by faction) ranked by respect top to bottom.

 

At 30 days into Torn, a message from George directing players to this list, or an in-game mail directing them to it.

 

Having some sort of genuine new player faction experience designed for them NOT to stay after 60 days might be good too. But that'd be way more complicated as it'd require limitations and new systems. Probably best to keep it simple, seems like a new player faction experience might be more work than is ideal.

 

Edit: Downvoted by the guy who downvotes all my posts and doesn't actually play Torn. Must be a good idea.

rabbit [1995921]

Can't remember exactly who but from memory, it was Itsi Bitsi Bikini. Had a brilliant time there, many great mentors there.

rabbit [1995921]

The problem with start up faction is that many perks that even 800k+ resp facs have would be very beneficial to them yet they rot away in dire low resp factions with no gameplay development perks. Without elaborating much, the entry into said factions relies on the player themselves playing & fulfilling your typical day-to-day activities to develop your account down the line.

DarthRevan [2836054] Reporter

Yet by telling them outright not to join smaller factions yoyr : 

  1. Blocking them from joining some fairly awesome communities
  2. f**king over a large portion of the factions in torn. 

 

sure perks are better in higher R factions, but community isn’t something you can simply buy. 

Pete1994 [965235]

My starter faction I created with some friends, my friends brother was the leader and we managed to grow fairly large.

 

Our faction was destroyed as we decided to changed our status from peaceful, as soon after we became targets for large factions like JFK for their chains and we had no feasible way to fight back.

 

Me and my friend made another one soon after but it didn't pick up because we were both broke and had terrible stats.

 

I then took an extended break from the game and when I came back I joined Nuke family. No regrets.

Jambo1uk [3126447]

Nope I still recommend newbies to them (Cosa Nostra) 

Good bunch of people and I Wouldn't be the player I am today without the factions input and mentors (Yaamean you legend ! ) 

 

They help newbies grow to lvl 15 quick and look after Thier people 

SenorPink [2940611]

TLDR: you do regret it. I know, I was there. You fried your brain trying to write all of that. 

 

For new players: find a decent faction, with decent steadfast. Don't invest 500 days into a small faction like I did and regret later because it turns out it's not fun anymore since everyone is a SJW and can't take a joke/meme. Or ignore this advice and do WTH you want and fits your gaming style. It's just TORN 

Ironmonger [2572382]

My first faction was The Scullions. It was pure chance that I joined them partly becuase I liked their name and logo.

 

[image: profileimages.torn.com]

 

The perks were not the best but it was largely made up of very experienced players who enjoyed playing together and I was the noob in training. Their experience was invaluable and in my opinion worth more than what perks could have offered. Had a lot of fun in RW and lets face it, fun is way more valuable than perks right!

 

Eventually The Scullions disbanded and we all went our seperate ways but still stay in contact on the old discord server.

CharmRiver [2334174] Reporter

Love my first faction, learned and grew a lot together with Winter is Coming. No regrets ever, loads of experience and now I have a change to grow even further in my new home 🧡

Qfiffle [2557282] Committee Committee

I joined my current faction (ODB)'s subfaction (which in hindsight, is hilarious we even had one, since the main was less than 400k R and the sub was 30k) purely because they were the first people to message me. Took like a week and then the leader said, hey, you talk to yourself in chat a lot, maybe you should move to ODB where other people actually log in too.

 

By most standards ODB was also a tiny starter faction and a real life friend who joined a multi-million R faction, and then my spouse who was also in a 2m R faction both tried to persuade me to move, but I did that noob thing where I dug in and said I liked the community and didn't care about perks. Five years later my rehab bills remind me I should have cared, but we are also now bigger than any of those "big" factions around us at the time and can whoop them in RW, and likely to hit 10m R this year. More importantly a lot of those same friends I made in the first few weeks are still around, plus a ton of great new ones, so I'm more than happy with my decision. 

 

I don't think most people should make the same decision I did though. It's pretty damn rare for a random 300k R faction to take off the way we did.

 

 

Lewiss [2012107]

kingCOBERA invited me to THE DARK SIDE... months later i was promoted to lead, life got in the way and he doesn't play anymore, but I learned so much from the OG Darkside members... Koba, VerbalKent, Hobama, NeverSleep and so many more i can't even begin to list them.

 

Some are still with us and some not, but I think if I didn't join The Dark Side i wouldn't be playing this game as long as I have been. 

 

Starter factions matter, noob traps are so common that often players join factions and then just quit because the faction they join is a graveyard with no ambition, thankfully i joined a faction with active and ambitious players.