Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Chat 3.0

Started by mAlhearie [3760489] on in General Discussion.

20 replies · 421 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
37 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
54 / 100
Engagement score
65 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

mAlhearie [3760489]

Hey hey, so I was wondering what the feel is for the new chats 3.0?

I love that you can get the history more in the chats but the new icons and layout are just too big and take up too much screen space on the phone.

 

Any thoughts? Or is it just me? 

nex [2054500]

It's too broken to use due to a memory leak the devs are incapable of fixing, just like 2.0. I've blocked it completely on PC to prevent my browser from running out of memory and freezing/lagging to shit every 20 minutes or every 5 minutes whenever we're in a war.

Callaghan [1316121]

I like it, I got used to the bigger icons just as they said I would. I haven't noticed any issues with lag/freeze on my browser or mobile.

Rosti [2840742]

It definately is more ressource hungry on low and mid tier devices making multi tabbing almost impossible. Both the cpu strain and the amount it fills the ram is quite severe. was way better with chat 1.0

 

arithond [3004651]

Don't know if it's a general chat 3.0 problem or how it works with tornPDA on mobile, but I have two issues:

 

One that if I minimise a chat window then open another tab soon after, the chat window reopens on all new and existing tabs for a while afterwards, pretty annoying especially when trying to attack targets quickly across different tabs

 

Other is that the chat window keeps refreshing after every few seconds so I have to type a chat message rapidly otherwise it refreshes and wipes most of what I've just typed

 

If anyone has a quick fix for the above problems that would be cool

Xerra [2775419]

Switched to Chat 3.0 as soon as I saw the message announcing it. Never switched back since.

 

I've literally had Zero issues with it. Works absolutely fine for me.

 

 

Edit:

 

Got this just now: You were sent $1 from someone with the message: You're either not using chat 3 on mobile devices, you're not too experienced with CPU issues or you're lying/trolling.

 

 

Assume this was you, Nutburger. Please be assured I'm not lying and I'm certainly not trolling. Why you couldn't just ask me how I was using Chat 3.0, I don't know....

 

You're correct that I'm not using a mobile device, but i am experienced with CPU issues - I'm just not getting any. Very likely because I'm using a very powerful Mac to play Torn. 

 

OMW [2289608]

I have certainly had some messages randomly disappear in chats and the notification icons get in the way of what I am typing, making it hard to reread my message before sending (I'm aware that you can clear notifications but it's not so easy in an active chat).

AshleyT [1432316]

Interesting. I'd personally call my device only mid tier but I've experienced no issues.

I guess I've been ignorant of the issues as a result.

I wonder how many others are in that boat?

Rosti [2840742]

For a browser game with such complex mechanics as wars and trading, I would expect it to also work with multiple tabs instead of slowing to a snails pace. 

This applies especially to, but not limited to these mentions: having the item market page open to view your listings and unlist them when medding out as well as warring with opening tabs of enemies. 
With how things are, they really encourage scripting and for those scripters to push the limits of what is allowed. 

AshleyT [1432316]

Yeah my device has no issues with that.

I wonder if the developer's devices also lack the same issues so they were unaware of it.

Either way it sounds like a massive pain. Chat systems shouldn't be taking up that many resources especially with how basic it is compared to dedicated chat services.

Rosti [2840742]

I think it is down to them not being active players. 
Even if you leave a torn tab up over times, especially an item market one or your bazaar one, it accumulates so many issues that it slows down your device. I am suspecting it is the chat doing so and did verify it briefly by blocking all chat traffic once via ublock origin.

Is very common for traders or people that sell things to have to keep your tabs open so you can med out without getting buymugged to bits since ched's vision encompasses a script kiddie hell where everyone is out to get you over a 1m mug even.