After revisiting the entry to ranked warring, with a 15 member team and starting the war with only 10 chain unlocked, I can safely say this proposal is heavily weighted toward larger factions.
Now I don't know if these wars are rigged or not, but if your opponents only have 30 members it is not hard for 2-4 people to come online and hospitalize every member of the opposing faction.
Why don't we do that? Because we're out of energy. That's it. Out of e == can't hit.
And no I'm not going to hospitalize the entire opposing faction because who does that? That's 4 hours of free turtle time where my members wouldn't be able to farm their one target whenever they get 25 e free. (Unless you just meant attack and leave, in which case sure I can do that but I only got decent respect off one of the opposing so running through them all is a waste of e and we as a faction were better served by leaving the lower respect targets for the members with better FF score to hit whenever they got a spare minute to come on and attack...)
We wanted to go with 5 days of respect farming for both sides but the opposing simply couldn't keep up so we went ahead and finished the war. Took about 14 hours to complete the war once we made the decision, because, again, we were out of energy.
This is the war in question
https://www.torn.com/war.php?step=rankreport&rankID=27527
It was termed for a 100 lead at all times, but the opposing was not able to keep up. It pretty much played out like an untermed war minus turtling though.
Not sure turtling would have helped them though, tbh. This is an untermed war with the same team but in Silver and double the member count and 1k chain unlocked (I forget how big of a chain we actually got to tho? Looks like 500 bonus). Similar war trajectory.
https://www.torn.com/war.php?step=rankreport&rankID=25569