I left all public chat channels and disabled TT and tampermonkey. It's still the same. Torn reached over 1GB of RAM usage and became sluggish after a bit over an hour.
Performance issues with chat 3.0 due to GC
Started by PMV [1577993] on in Bugs & Issues.
Posts archived: 95 / 95 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
I tried that, it didn't help. The only thing that did help was making sure I only had 1 tab open.
Chat 3.0 is significantly better than 2.0 but its like being asked to change from wading through a black bag full of soiled underwear to instead wading through a black bag of spoiled and rotting food.
chat 1.0 was so much more performant on the user interface side. no insane ram usage, no insane slowdowns.
its crazy when you think what it is too, its a box displaying text. what kind of spaghetti code has to exist for it to be this bad and to think that its been worked on for months going on years at this point.
and to think free and open source alternatives exist and were created 30+ years ago that can do this at a fraction of the performance and have insanely higher reliability and uptime.
I got around to this. Disabled all addons (including adblock), went to private window, left public channels. Opened a few DMs then sat in the NS3-JFK war loader (an active war triggers it quicker).
Still happens. It took a bit longer to start but it still reaches that point then the whole browser starts freezing every few seconds for a second.
So... what are the alternatives? I heard someone say IRC... but can it do what we're asking it to do? We're asking for an in browser window to be consistent across all open tabs and for all data to cross through the game server for moderating and datamining.
"its a box displaying text. what kind of spaghetti code has to exist"
Had me rollin!
Discord, like it has been since chat 2.0's release.
Sendbird is just not the correct platform it seems, I really don't understand how they're not getting this issue themselves. Also, why would you want to rely on an external service that can shut down anytime or have their own problems (like this bullshit), especially since Torn has done everything in-house previously.
It happened to me multiple times today as well. I didn't know that it was a but. I just closed all windows and thing was fixed afterwards so I said oh well.
But can confirm the same issue. Basically torn dies and you have to close all windows.
Ahh thanks for posting this. Was wondering wtf was going on with my game. I can have a target's attack page loaded into a second tab and by the time I can med out and attack, I'm already back in hospital. Or even worse, I start the attack and can't finish due to the choppiness. It's like playing a video game on 3fps. Horrible during ranked wars. And it's only during active battles. Not when farming a faction that isn't fighting back, and we're just slowly picking them off as they come out of hospital. Happens at the worst time, during big pushes.
Same here, once torn gets stuck loading a page, it is stuck there, and it can only be fixed by closing the whole browser. Tried and tested in Chrome and Firefox
Though Torn works just fine in mobile (Yandex) even if all my extensions are active.
During RW pushes, my game becomes virtually unplayable due to this. Please, devs, fix this soon!
Very much a problem, frustrating as hell. Doesn't seem to happen on Mobile but I'm closing/reopening the apps quite often.
expect an attempted fix sometime in the year 7623.
For now, I would add the chat link (see page 1, nex posted it) to your ad blocker and just switch it on when you need Torn to actually work for you.
It's literally a night and day difference, all of the freezing and lag issues stop entirely.
I would suspect that IRC would be too easy to implement, and too efficient for the devs... one mediocre to good dev could implement it within a week, and then be done. They need it to take much longer and have many more issues so they can keep getting paid. IRC just plain works.
still happens every rw
THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME ON MOBILE AND HAS KILLED CHAINS. INCREDIBLY AGGRAVATING BUG.
It seems like it's this possibly rearing its head for more and more members.
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=19&t=16389482&b=0&a=0&start=120&to=26082322
If it's not that, the only other thing that seems to have coincided with this is the racing changes. I do notice that if I'm in a 100 person race doing docks, this game is basically unplayable on mobile.
Would reverting back to HTTP2 on the Torn side be worth trying again because we went months without these issues once it was turned off, now they are starting to appear again.
it just gets worse every war xd
The 100 person docks race killing your mobile browser has been a problem ever since I started playing. Nothing new there.
Ahh good to know. So perhaps related to the HTTP2 / HTTP3 thing (posisbly in conjunction with chat 3.0).
Though many faction members reported that reverting back to chats 2.0 had absolutely no effect.
If you revert to 2.0, you'd most likely need to restart the browser to fix the memory that's not released.