If people are hesitant to work with him because he's in PT, IceBlueFire is always still available to speak to, not that I see this being an issue. We wouldn't have offered this position to Velthir if we didn't have the utmost confidence that they would act in good faith.
New staff script moderator
Started by bogie [148747] Admin on in General Discussion.
Posts archived: 264 / 264 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Yeah odd choice having somebody from PT taking charge of this - Especially from a "volunteer" perspective.
Sorry Splent, you're still my goto person.
PT bout to modernize their tech stack through these "reviews"
Congrats Velthir, I’m sure you’ll do a great job at ensuring that the game remains a fair and competitive environment through your inputs on script moderation.
Thank you for taking up this voluntary position for the benefit of the game, the scripting community and the wider torn community as a whole.
Ireland war 3.0, every war script of an opposing alliance has to be vetted by a leader of an enemy faction.
Yeah can't see any issues that might arise from that.
Congratulations Velthir,
Anyone that makes script verification simpler and faster is a welcome addition.
I have a few questions.
As the Leader of PT-Calculated, an HoF Faction, what prevents him passing script ideas he likes onto their own programmers? Theoretically, if he assists in approving these scripts, then the versions he makes which do effectively the same thing wouldnt need to be approved, as the processes are the same, correct?
If someone submitted a script to say, IceBlueFire, would he still see/have access/have input to those scripts that aren't explicitly submitted to him?
I'm not doubting your confidence in him, I am sure he will be a great addition to the team. I know you guys are making the best call you can here, but . . . from strictly a players perspective, this might end up being a little awkward for the community.
I guess what I'm saying is, it's not that he is or will abuse the position, but the potential for abuse that would exist between his role as a staff designated script moderator, and his faction designated duties to his family.
EDIT: I noticed Julie said explicitly that he allowed to try the scripts to verify designated function. What stops him from keeping personal copies?
Difference being this is recognized as the official script moderator. While Splent and IBF certainly offered their help with these areas, it wasn't their only job and was never defined in the same capacity that this role is. He is singled out as THE GUY for approval on scripts regardless if it's followed up with Splent or IBF.
Also I think the leader designation is a valid criticism as they are more invested in ensuring their faction/family does well when major events occur. We've seen this abused in the past when opposition was reading other factions in game chats as well. No point in arguing they would never do this since it's already been done in the past.
Edit: IBF's main role as staff is script moderation. I have been corrected.
Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to working with the team and the players so that we can improve the speed/clarity of reviews and keep everything compliant/fair for everyone.
Are we going to run into a system where any scripts used within the game must be public? That would certainly eliminate the hidden advantage but also kind of ruins scripting ability to a degree to help.
This is currently my only thought that could "prevent" abuse from someone in that position, but it just removes the private scripts. Stuff like BSP would still be okay as it's public facing, even though it basically requires a subscription, but hidden faction only ones would not be allowed.
What prevents him from doing it is it's his job, he's a professional that's getting pai...oh...nvm
let's watch PT family snowball. I'm getting my popcorn.
This is just a joke* 😂🤷
Congratulations Velthir and I actually can't wait to have more transpancy in this space! 🪟👏
Can we get a new economist for the game while we’re at it too? One that ain’t gonna crash everything.
IBF certainly has the same potential to abuse his position, but at the same time IBF is not a leader in his factions. He has no duty or credence to any family in particular. In a situation where PT as a family is presented with a problem that someone scripts a solution for, Valithir has a duty to his faction to assist in the solution. Especially if a script crosses his desk that solves that problem.
Remember back when Loader sitting was a thing? Factions that had the ability to pre-load attack loaders had immense advantages in fights. Youd be rehosped before you even had a chance to click anything. Per se Monarch manages to set that back up using a script, and that script gets cleared.
(And this is nothing against you Velthir, you're a great guy.)
What stops PT from distributing that concept around their faction? What Oman and a handful of other people are trying to say here, is that even if Velthir is a trustable and respected individual, the duality between Staff Scripting Moderator and Leader of an HoF Faction bring together a lot of avenues for major conflicts of interest.
The community (or at least me personally) is only looking for protections and assurances, not necessarily demotion or rolling heads.
IceBlueFire has been the guy for approval on scripts for years, it has been his only job on the Torn staff team for as long as I've been a part of it. You can even see that on the staff role page.
Having a second person helping him from the other side of the alliance world should be welcome, as IceBlueFire was previously part of JFK leadership and is now in the Monarch family.
It is a valid criticism from the layperson, but we also make it abundantly clear to anyone joining the staff team, regardless of their faction allegiance, that their commitment to upholding staff guidelines must come before any faction commitments. If they don't then they will face consequences.
My bad and apologies. I did not realize that was IBF's main duty.
Of course, of course.
PT is a phenomenally well respected Family with absolutely NO history of script/API/scamming abuse.
I honestly would trust PT Velthir not to mug me if I gave them my API key and kicked from their faction.
I wholely trust xanty PT Velthir with all my investment money.
PT has a long history some history ABSOLUTELY NO HISTORY of script abuse or API key abuse.
If yall say he's legit, he's legit in my book.
Congratulations Velthir, do the torn community good.
We will all be dead of old age by then.
Sounds like a real issue for our grandkids though.
Gentlemen's agreement - we'll ask IBF, you guys ask Verkmgkwemf :D