Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

James Dobson

Started by windyrockbell [2805009] on in Politics & Law.

27 replies · 75 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
14 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
62 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

windyrockbell [2805009]

The good news for James is I don't believe in hell, just purgatory, and think he still has a chance of eventually finding salvation.

 

James Dobson, Godfather of Child Abuse, Finally Dies

 

 

 

JAMES DOBSON, 89, died this week after a long battle with children. He was defined by an unshakable belief that godly parents, governments, and churches could eradicate unacceptable kinds of people with the tactical application of beatings and shame. He leaves behind the destruction of families in the service of conformity to his personal vision of society. 

 

With his popular jeremiads endorsing corporal punishment, his vicious crusade against women’s healthcare, his apologies for all manner of violence, and his network of anti-gay “conversion” ministries, Dobson rose to fame, fortune, and a political stature that got him access to presidents including Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. He pioneered a style of activism, always academic and religious in tone but unfettered by denominational structures or university norms, that used hundreds of millions of dollars from opaque donor-advised funds to unite the disparate factions of the nascent evangelical movement in the early 1970’s. He and his imitators led American Christianity’s descent into a madness that has now spread through every level of society, producing misery, estrangement, and suicide.

Remilia [1284087]

"Finally dies"

 

What a horrible title to an article. Wishing death upon someone is disgusting. Don't know who James Dobson is but I know that nobody deserves death. Sam Thielman, the author of the article, deserves the same article written about him when he dies.

m00nman [2714008]

"JAMES DOBSON, 89, died this week after a long battle with children."

 

The writing doesn't get much better after the title. Unless he really was subject to a long death at the hands of children.

Sannemander [2088627]

Why would anybody care about a random article from a random person writing something awful about a hateful person that died.

 

Also pretty hypocritical from conservatives, I mean, if a black person like Floyd is killed by the police they try to find any reason to justify it, that's much more worrying since it opens the gates to more killings like that.

 

f**k the guy, he won't be missed.

Sopdet [3682823]

It depends. Guy was really old and died a natural and presumably peaceful death. In that case "whew, finally the guy found the exit" is acceptable dark humour to me. I oppose derisive talk about people dying untimely deaths from violence or similarly terrible circumstances. An exception would be objectively bizarre deaths, the Darwin award kind of death, or funny epitaphs, which are a thing in some cultures. (I once saw one with a poem about a young man dying by cow freak accident)

 

So,  your turn. "Nobody deserves death". Disingenious moral outrage or real conviction?

Sannemander [2088627]

I think it is all bullshit, should we suddenly not speak ill about people like Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, or any.other person that tried to make the world a worse place because they died, this guy certainly tried to make it worse for certain people actively and successfully, and the world is better of without him.

Sopdet [3682823]

I didn't bring up Hitler and the likes on purpose yet. I wanted to focus on the death penalty thing. Had Remilia answered evasively I'd have pressed further and added the point of "So you mean people shouldn't even cheer Hitler's or Osama's death?". But I guess Remilia will not answer at all. I guess I couldn't have made use of that argument after all. 

Instead they resorted to random downvoting.

 

Btw. I actually even dislike people cheering Osama's death, because of the circumstances. Bad person, world is better without him. But being assassinated next to his family (one of his sons and a woman died too) is terrible. Had he been run over by a random bus, all fine. 

Sannemander [2088627]

I'm not into cheering anyone's death, unless they really did wrong to me personally or direct surroundings.

 

I just don't care about this guy, if I for instance had people into my surroundings that were family or friends of him,( which would be extremely unlikely) I would certainly not talk about him at least for some years, on a forum where people post anonymously though, it's a very different thing.

 

Regarding Osama, if I had family like that and he would be killed I would definitely be understanding of the situation, although I also recognize that is maybe a too easy thing to say from my relatively safe space. I can not imagine if someone like that was my father for instance, luckily for me.

ChatGPT [1762864]

And yet just the other day you were wishing death on anyone who has committed a felony other than your cult leader....

Sopdet [3682823]

Yes, the family and friends part is the thing. Osama's death traumatized his family. And while he doesn't feel pain anymore, they do.

Especially if kids are involved it really gets to me, no matter who died. Cause they most likely loved their parent and were loved back. 

And the collateral damage is another issue. Anyhow, this was just me honestly answering Remilia's question about my personal stance on the matter. In the hopes that they return the favor. 

 

I don't feel like debating my feelings there because they are like they are and I see no reason to change them, since they already aim to avoid causing pain to people. So while this topic surely is interesting and I'd like to debate with you at some point, this is not the right topic for it.

Remilia [1284087]

I oppose the death penalty in all but the most egregious cases and while there are certainly people deserving of death that doesn't apply to everyone I simply disagree with like this author does. As far as I can tell, this James Dobson guy just thought differently on capital punishment and child discipline. He had different beliefs that were outdated and misfounded and were used by some people to push their own agendas to hurt people. He was flawed and very much human. I don't support him at all.

 

What I don't like is the direction and tone of the article. It could have been one of "Hey, this guy leaves behind a legacy of horrible shit, we need to do better" and left out the hyperbolic dancing on a corpse. When RGB and Diane Feinstein died, I very much hated their policies and I did rehash and criticized their policies but I would have gone after anyone who said, "Thank god RGB is finally dead!" It's the same shit. Have some decency. 

windyrockbell [2805009]

You oppose the death penalty in only the most egregious cases, like if a kid brought an AR15 with him and then ended up feeling scared.

 

It's a shame you aren't familiar with James Dobson, because he's one of the architects of your current political opinions and you should be a bit more self aware about the founding father's of US conservatism.

 

Asbestos [2605613]

He was kind of a dick. His screed on AIDS was nuts. His whole “break the child” stuff was asinine. His whole evangelical leader routine was especially bonkers when you find out he was never even an ordained minister. That’s only a partial list, and the non-controversial stuff. 

He and Cleon Skousen would have made good roommates at a mental institution built on an abandoned oil platform in the North Sea. 

 

Sopdet [3682823]

I don't think Windy thinks all people deserving of death that they disagree with. That seems like a deliberate misrepresentation.

That aside I can respect your post. Thanks for your honesty.