Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Lack of Response - Is Ched too busy for us?

Started by WhiteMage [1503353] on in General Discussion.

71 replies · 1.51k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 72 / 72 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Awesome-O [2356036]

If there is a suggestion that won't be put then it should be locked

 

Or if they are currently looking at it then that thread should be locked for replies and pinned until a decision has been made

DedeSiregar [2430598]

And how do you think I sound?

Ppl like you are sad. I don't even know that you even exist and you act like you know me at all. To me that sounds sad.

DedeSiregar [2430598]

But you are acting like a Karen tho. No one is forcing you to play. Did Ched force you to play? Did any staff beg any of us to stay?

 

You seem so miserable about the game, and you’ve made 3–4 posts insisting that you’re entitled for staff and devs to always respond or run it like it’s Wendy’s.

 

Which online game is like that? I’ve played many online games, and from what I know, these are the real situations for players there:

 

  1. The game owners and staff do not interact with players at all.
  2. No forum or place to even post a suggestion. Got a complaint or idea? They don’t care.
  3. Regardless how generous you think you are in torn, many players in other games easily spend a lot more EVERY WEEK just to win stupid competition. But dang it, i have not seen any player there act so entitled like I see here.

 

That’s why I said the devs and staff blend too well in Torn. It gives some players like you a sense of entitlement, as if you own the game.

 

Someone got fedded for cheating? Let’s whine 100 pages long demanding the “transparency” we think we deserve.


People abuse a bug and an investigation is opened? Let’s bitch some more. Let's act like martyrs shall we?

 

Don't like the staffs? Well then f**king harass them and act shock when we are banned for life to play!

 

I paid subscriber and buy DP therefore I am right. Customers always right, right?

 

But let me make this clear: we are not entitled to anything. We’re just part of 3 million players. I’m also sure barely anyone will notice if one of us quits today.

Inferno [3007989]

See I ll break this down one last time for you dear. The message you quoted me was a mere reply to another player saying about the game state. Forum exists to talk about the game and don't you think you are acting too entitled calling me names and asking me to quit? Stating opinions and insulting someone you don't even know, are entirely different things if you are not aware

 

You seem so miserable about the game, and you’ve made 3–4 posts insisting that you’re entitled for staff and devs to always respond or run it like it’s Wendy’s

If they are saying they "WILL" respond , they should. It's not entitlement. The Devs themselves are saying that. Isn't it only right if they stick to their commitment? I have zero fs if they hadn't said that in the first place and I won't go maintaining the suggestion posts as for any others doing the same . All my point is they shouldn't say they "WILL" respond if they cannot. 

 

Which online game is like that?

TORN is literally biggest online game out there. Don't compare it to smaller titles

 

It gives some players like you a sense of entitlement, as if you own the game.

Now that's pure judgemental and stereotyping, against someone you barely know. Why do you believe you can group me among harassers and I have no clue how you could come to those conclusions about an online person that you don't know

 

Please don't talk around like you are the only one with opinions and only yours is right. Everybody is ENTITLED to have their own opinions. 

 

That’s why I said the devs and staff blend too well in Torn

They are not doing any us favours or charity to glorify them. They are just doing their job. And Yes they do interact and I appreciate it, that's it. I am not give them more credits than that. If they are to be called out they should be. It's clear as broad daylight many a times that they are taking the community for granted.

 

But let me make this clear: we are not entitled to anything.

Wrong . We are entitled to opinions. Just like you stated yours :)

This is a free liberal world and not some autocratic space to refraining from having discussions 

 

Next time, 

If you disagree with something, state your counteropinions with respect and ethos and have healthy discussions. Calling names or insulting others for no reason, just because you think your inferences are right and others are not, is not the right way to do it.

 

 

 

Toastedwaffles [3893503]

It's hard to even navigate these suggestions honestly. I've ran into a lot of people who are stuck racing and feel like it's needing to be updated and are at a loss stuck in D class a d can't move forward. Reading this feels like it would be a let down and waste of time to even put it out there. 

Jinkoha [3372604]

Skill issue. Ngl.

 

 

Just keep racing over and over.

 

If you are truly stuck, join a company to get JPs to convert into racing points.

 

Can confirm you are rarded 

Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

I've looked at every 250+ suggestion that's come in. The challenge is that carefully going through each idea - considering how it might work, the nuances that could arise, and the potential impact on other areas of the game - takes a lot of time. On top of that, declining a suggestion, and ensuring I provide a reasonable explanation for why I'm declining it, is a really demotivating process...

 

I have a particular direction I want to take Torn in, I have plenty of my own plans in the queue, and I'm not really interested in filling the game with fluff content or novelties - which I often feel detracts from or trivializes existing content.

 

That's not to say we don't accept any suggestions though, a whole bunch of them have been accepted and implemented this year. If I do spot a genuinely great idea in the suggestions forum, it'll often be fast-tracked into development. Furthermore, if a suggestion gains a huge amount of traction with the community and gets several hundred likes, I'll always go out of my way to ensure that gets a response ASAP.

 

But in general, yes, the simple answer is that I am just too busy.

Running a business like Torn, especially when its population is peaking, is really time consuming. This is something I'm already focused on improving by hiring for a new management role for TORN LTD from Torn's community that I intend to post in the announcements in the next couple of weeks.

Unique [2097793]

I think most of us understand that not every suggestion can or should be implemented, and that real development takes time. But when suggestions do reach the 250+ threshold, especially consistently, it's fair to expect at least some acknowledgment, even if it's just a brief ‘not a direction we're taking.’

It’s not about demanding change, it’s about transparency and closing the loop with a community that clearly cares enough to keep contributing. A simple yes/no/maybe with a quick line of reasoning would go a long way in maintaining trust and keeping people motivated to engage constructively.

Appreciate everything the team does, just hoping that when players meet the bar that was set, the effort is met with a bit more dialogue in return.

Aezur [1950769]

It’s not about demanding change, it’s about transparency and closing the loop with a community that clearly cares enough to keep contributing

 

The literal owner and founding developer of the game encourages change suggestions and takes the time to address highly upvoted ones.  No other game does this. You're whining he doesn't do it fast enough.

 

This whole thread is ridiculous. This task for Ched is ridiculous. I ain't even a big shot like Ched and my time is worth way too much money to waste on reading non-game-designers giving game-design suggestions. Ya'll should be honored he didn't just sunset his offer.

 

I know this is a game, and a lot of people spend too much of their lives here, but we're talking about Ched's real life and his real time at work. Unless you're paying him, STFU about this one particular nice thing he does for his community.

Edit: This isn't really directed at you Unique. Just your comment triggered it.

JustJanet [911066]

 

It’s not about demanding change, it’s about transparency and closing the loop with a community that clearly cares enough to keep contributing

 

That was triggering for you? Do well written, clear comments come across your field of view so infrequently that you do not understand what they look like? Where is the whine in his post? 

Unique is one of the most gracious and thoughtful people I’ve had the privilege to work with. He’s put up a response that is respectful and hits the point.  Your response is ignorant and petulant and you have the nerve to call his reply whining!  The irony is overwhelming. 

 

JustJanet [911066]

 

Here is the problem. The suggestion forum was created and a threshold was set by you. I’m pretty certain the original threshold was 100 likes and then changed to 250 but that’s neither here nor there. Admin came up with the thread and the challenge that needed to be met. The suggestions are getting the traction and then stalling. 


I totally understand the demotivating and soul sucking angst from doing shit you don’t want to do.  I’m not talking about the actual implementation of the suggestions. I’m talking about the chore of responding. However, let’s look at your words.

“So please rate up suggestions that you think would be a great addition to TORN, and we'll be sure to at the very least, make a comment on those which players really like.”

 

If I further recall correctly the original version of this post said that you, specifically, would respond. I imagine that was well before over 20,000 suggestions.  It’s an overwhelming chore and it’s a tough gig to begin with let alone years later when now there are perhaps hundreds and maybe even 1000+ suggestions that ought to be considered and responded to.  

I can’t clear the dishes out of my sink and there’s only two people living here. I understand task avoidance. I think it’s time to delegate a person to dealing specifically with the posts that reach 250 likes.  

 

Even if all they do is respond that the challenge has been fulfilled and the suggestion is being considered. Then have a sorting system: QOL improvements, new community events, extra content… then in each section sort possible and impossible.  Then give a response based on where they fell.  There is a reason canned responses exist.  Nobody has the time to respond individually to all they do is suggestions.  Filter out the ones you know you won’t do anything with in the near future and give a reply, “Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion. We truly appreciate the input. For now, we’re setting this idea aside as we focus on other areas of development. If it becomes feasible in the future, we’ll be sure to revisit it.”

 

The viable suggestions that might actually be possible should be the ones you see. Perhaps once there is a more manageable process then you can be sparked by what you see instead of demotivated. 

 



 

Asemov [2270413]

Have you guys considered slowing down on the advertising campaign?

You're using that Torn is experiencing a peak in players as a problem, but it's a self caused problem.

All these new players is great, but there's not a lot of variety in content to funnel them into, and ranked warring has tanked the appeal in counter/supplemental economies like Reviving.

Also; ranked warring is fluff content that has trivialized existing systems, and you abandoned it, in its current state.

Edit: 

I made this post prior to discovering an additional nerf today, and the point still stands.

masheen [2625139]

The problem is that Ched runs everything from an ideas standpoint. If they had a 2nd person and they trimmed the suggestion and reorganised it, it would still need input from Ched and he doesn't have the mental and schedule to do it.

 

This is the issue with Torn as a whole. He is the person designing the game as CEO. Where as other companies have a team designing and developing concepts.

 

I certainly agree, they made the suggestions forum and it has no love. Even some of the responses he gives don't seem that well thought out but that's my bias speaking.

masheen [2625139]

That's another one I don't understand, pushing to get a new influx of players when there are no systems to keep them around. We all know about short attention spans and instant gratification and yet there are not many things here that tap into those things.

 

So a potential player signing up after seeing the game advertised will first of all be clueless and when they start to understand a little what's going on, they might feel there's not much to do.

 

They'll not give it a shot down the line again. They'll just never think about it anymore and move on to the next cash grab in the Play Store. That lead is lost and this person may be seeing the ad for this game again...

 

So my 2c is that they should've flushed out many more systems where interaction is king before adding so many players.