Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Just noticed something

Started by Steak [2693811] on in Politics & Law.

22 replies · 108 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 23 / 23 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
23
Discussion span
→
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
14 / 100
Story score
36 / 100
Engagement score
61 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Steak [2693811]

P&L is 99% American politics and 1% memes about American politics. Was there ever any actual discussion about the rest of the world and the implications of certain governments collapsing, or is it just pro/anti left/right wing American thoughts?

undo [2090073]

Try noticing harder. On the first two pages there’s Rwanda, Nepal, France, Poland, Indonesia, and a ton of Israel/Palestine.

The_Tsalal [3915113]

Agree! 100%!

 

Unfortunately, as the US is the world's primary economic superpower, and primary driver of internet & social media trends, then even a lot of non-US related stories are going to be somewhat 'US adjacent'.

Mr-Chuckles [2868555]

Its morbidly fascinating watching those videos where Americans try to place on the map other countries (their own country) .. but I bet they know the college football mascot!

AgntOrngRuffy [3268335]

Fun fact: if the United States has ever dropped a bomb on your country, they still own real estate in your country. The U.S. has 175 diplomatic posts and embassies in 174 nations, and military bases in 80 different countries too. 

If you live in the western hemisphere, your politics are an American commodity, at best. It's a lot like what Putin wishes he could accomplish with the former soviet nations, but more efficient on every level. And that is still not very efficient...
[image: jornaltemporeal.com.br]

Mr-Chuckles [2868555]

I bet 8/10 americans on the street would fail to point those countries out if given a list and a map, though. What is the point of being a super evil world controlling octopus nation if your people are The Simpsons in real life?

 

I realise this is broadly speaking but I think it has merit as a serious point too.

 

I would hazard a guess that there is a capitalist agenda at the heart of it, control and dominate etc as we have moved beyond the era of religious supremacy or old school empire building. But it is speculation at best.

EddieLee706 [1591144]

Most people from other countries couldn't name more than 15 US states on a map and why would they?

 

Just like why would Americans need to know other countries on a map besides the obvious power ones?

Mr-Chuckles [2868555]

Can you name 15 counties in the UK? What kind of nonsense is that. There is a difference between being ignorant of the wider world (regardless of political importance) and being ignorant of the minute detail of the US. If I dont know the difference between Texas and Utah, oh silly me, but if you dont know what the world is like outside the US, all you have is your country as a reference and its therefore no wonder there are so many macho chest beating nonsense opinions that are summed up as "Go team!" rather than being able to compare and distinguish important differences.

 

The cartoonish idea of what socialism is - a brilliant example - especially when used interchangably with marxism or textbook conmunism. 

 

The cartoonish idea of what the middle east or europe or africa look like when talked about.. its all from pre-packaged social media or commercial news media content and it shows which is why I make the remark that -- what is the point of it all if you remain isolated in a US-centric bubble of ignorance.

 

It does need to be said that not all Americans are that way and by making this point, my intent is to draw you into that other group, and by doing so, improve the discussions and relations, rather than everything devolving into "I am better than you because x y z" and the tribalist "No you" back and forth.

 

Nadbash [2183654]

I think Americans are just louder.

You want world politics, bring them up. We're in a dumpster fire over here, it's hard to hear Europe's whispers over the screaming going on here.

EddieLee706 [1591144]

Can you name 15 counties in the UK? What kind of nonsense is that. There is a difference between being ignorant of the wider world (regardless of political importance) and being ignorant of the minute detail of the US. If I dont know the difference between Texas and Utah, oh silly me, but if you dont know what the world is like outside the US, all you have is your country as a reference and its therefore no wonder there are so many macho chest beating nonsense opinions that are summed up as "Go team!" rather than being able to compare and distinguish important differences.

 

You completely proved my point. That's exactly what I just said. What are you talking about? You're all over the place. I said nothing about go team. I brought up logical facts. You bringing unnecessary nonsense into geography talking points. 

 

I've traveled all over the world being in the military. I've vacation plenty of times outside of the U.S. 

 

Youre not going to draw me into no groups. I dont do groups. You didn't make a point because your delivery was piss poor.

Unlucky [2472585]

I enjoy americain politics for the same reason I read fiction. 

- Ridiculous storyline arcs (the guy who tried a coup got voted back in? Come on) 

 

- The stupid people making obvious mistakes. (The leader who ran on low taxes was also running on raising taxing and 50% of the proles missed it) 

- The storyline plot holes (why would you give an instant death item to almost every person? That’s just obviously gonna end in chaos) 

 

- The unrealistic forced drama (America turned on all its friends for no reason, then acted surprised when they all turned their backs on America) 

 

I’m not sure how I feel about all this chatter about a new civil war as well, that’s just rehashing old storylines. 

 

GG4ming1 [2960765]

Emphasis on "everything". The people "in charge" are literally just pawns for corporations. always have been. always be. until something is done.

Violence [2603171]

I play a game with a kid where whenever he hastles me I spout an unrelated word to subvert his monologues. 

 

I told him recently I would be naming states of the US named after the tribes who used to live on the land before the genocide of them. 

 

 

Basically name a state...... Or city or part of a city like the old hunting trail now the centre of commerce. 

 

Or the red pole used to mark territory 

 

 

Keeps my brain active. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_place_names_of_Native_American_origin_in_the_United_States

 

 

Hypocritical [1280905]

While I agree with the general point you are making, I do find it weird and fairly telling when for example, Americans talk about going to war or bombing Iran, but are unable to even point it out on a map, obviously worth mentioning that it's 4 years old, but around only a quarter of Americans where able to find Iran on a map - a country of 90M population and a geopolitical enemy of about 50 years. Kinda shows that the average opinion on people talking about foreign countries usually has such little knowledge in a country that it's basically worthless.

 

A big factor on why US politics has a larger presence in the forums is that the US and China are the worlds superpowers, their politics impact everyone else, couple that with the US speaking English and it just makes sense. I could talk about Irish politics and most people wouldn't understand it or have a knowledge base to talk about it which makes sense as it doesn't impact them and their news wouldn't report on it, US politics would impact me however so I would find out about them.

 

Either way there's a lot of non-US posts and you are always welcome to make more if you wish

 

 

EddieLee706 [1591144]

Most people dont care about things that dont affect them or that they can't see efecting them That's reality. Reality liked you mentioned U.S . And China are super powers. Less relevant countries are less relevant and that can be a good thing.

 

I've been to the Iran border via Iraq on the Basra side. I can point out 70% of the world's countries right now on a map. That's me personally, so what. 

 

Again why would Americans care about pointing out another country on a map for? Its as relevant to me as knowing specifics of a woodcutter, electrician, doctor, engineer, architect etc. Its not relevant to me in day to day life. 

Sopdet [3682823]

This kind of knowledge is important though to be an informed voter, i think. Democracy depends on an involved, informed and active population. Education in my country e.g. has the declared primary goal to enable people to partake in democracy in a responsible/mature/selfempowered way. We are taught that this knowledge about certain stuff that doesn't directly affect us is needed for a functioning democracy. This is knowledge in stem subjects but also history, world politics and geography etc. 

 

It is not the fault of the USA people though that they see this differently. Here it is heavily promoted and the core of the education system. If that wouldn't be the case, nearly nobody would bother to learn that stuff either. Because like you said, the relevance in daily life is not that obvious.