Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Should the voting age be 16? Same with alcohol etc

Started by Memory [3823304] on in Politics & Law.

75 replies · 106 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 76 / 76 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
76
Discussion span
→
Authority score
11 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
42 / 100
Engagement score
70 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Memory [3823304]

Should 16 be considered the age you become an adult? Its literally the best times of your life but you have to wait 2 more years to do anything. 

 

THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT US POLITICS OR ANYTHING, ITS A GENERAL DISCUSSION

Palestine [2578434]

No, i think everything should be  21+. I started drinking and drugs at a very young age, and it lead me down the wrong road. I threw away all my potential to have fun and live the street life. Now as an adult, I have many regrets. Some things, you cant get back. You don't need alcohol to have fun. 

undo [2090073]

You can do all sorts of things at 16, depending on your state/country/parents. Here you can get a learner’s permit the day you turn 15, and a driver’s license 6 months after you get a learner’s permit. You can get a job. You can go to college (assuming you meet prereqs etc). You could have sex and become a parent. You could file to become emancipated. Even if you’re not emancipated, if you’re not living with your parents/guardians, you can make all your medical decisions at 14, iirc. If you are living with your parents/guardians, iirc only mental health, things to do with reproductive health, and emergency care. So, lots of stuff you can do at 16, though not all of it is advisable, obviously.

Where I grew up, I could legally buy and drink beer & wine when I was 16. If you think that makes you an adult, though, then you’re not ready to be an adult yet. 

I think people should be able to vote at least 6 years before the draft age. The voting age in the US was lowered to 18 because they were drafting people who couldn’t vote against the draft, but my oldest kid could be drafted tomorrow without ever having had an opportunity to vote for anything, because voting doesn’t happen daily. Senators serve 6 year terms here (and everyone else shorter), so 6 year minimum before draft age, imo. No need to lower the voting age, though - not many people under (nor over, in all fairness) have a good enough understanding of politics, history, economics, rhetoric, etc in order to be able to make an informed vote.

Remilia [1284087]

I think only people who own land, do community service, or are in the military should be able to vote.

 

The people who own land actually have a stake in the well-being of their community, people who volunteer their time to make their community better have shown they have a stake in their community, and people who volunteered to join the military have earned the right to vote. Even people who rent can just vote for a horrible law, leave, and stick the locals with the bill.

Sannemander [2088627]

Definately yes, of course there are f**k ups with that age, but so are there of thirty or fourty year olds.

 

It's their future that's on the line, I'm more for an age cap on voting, when you are.retired, you shouldn't be eligible to vote anymore since you are not going to be beneficial anymore.

FroggyStyle [3528490]

Yes. People make mistakes regardless of age. Older people will always see younger people as people to teach things to. Let's let them make their mistakes, and lift them up when they stumble. The path is ahead, and we can help them find their own ways.

Sopdet [3682823]

Aka you want fascism. But a flavor that even more openly disadvantages the poor. Basically everybody who cannot afford land or has enough spare time to do community service. 

Palestine [2578434]

That's not how shit works anymore. The cavemen days are long gone. We don't need our kids to die or ruin their lives just because you want them to raise themselves. We are advanced for a reason. We need better people running our societies that don't enable the corruption of our youth, and conditions the parents to be neglectful and shove their kids aside to the tablet so they can blab on instagram live and play call of duty during the entire duration of their days off work, and the nights after work. Mfers act like their job is done when they clock out. "I did my part". Yall do the most for the money, but cant do shit in ur personal lives besides be f**kin idiots, because ur not getting paid to raise ur kids. 

Sannemander [2088627]

Sorry to say, but I knew enough 16 year olds that were more aware than their parents in political issues. Older, but not wiser, older but stiffer comes to mind, and I'm definitely already old.

 

Point is, 16 year olds can be stupid, but so can 50 year olds. From my point of view, 16 year olds are somehow more engaged to society than many 50 year olds. I think they should have a voice on their future.

Sopdet [3682823]

Full blown "No". I was an extremely "grown-up" teenager. Never drank or smoked and the parties I went to were board game parties. I was frugal and tutored younger kids for free. I was very responsible. Complete goody goodshoes. Also I was very educated on current politics. But should I have been allowed to vote? Ffs no! I was a kid. Looking back I was so dumb and naive. 

Here one can vote on local politics from age 16 on, which I am no fan of. On country-wide stuff at age 18. And those two years made a difference. With 18 I still was very young and still goody goodshoes but I had a more nuanced perspective on life. I was still dumb and naive. But at least a bit less.

 

In our modern western society kids are spared responsibilities and are shielded from death and suffering (since illnesses were so successfully pushed back). Yet we want to give them the right to vote earlier and earlier. In a world that is growing more complex by the day. That does not make much sense to me. I want kids to at least finish highschool/vocational school (or have had the time to have done so) before they can be asked to make choices on those complex topics. 

Remilia [1284087]

Maybe, but it depends. A volunteer firefighter? Sure. Karen that works in human resources for the post office. Eh. Someone who works in a mental health facility directly helping addicts? Sure. Someone who cleans the floors in a mental health facility that helps addicts? Eh. I'm not sure where the cut off would be or where you would draw the line.

 

My point being that voters need to have a little bit of skin in the game for what they are voting for. Sure, this idea disadvantages the poor but since they have no skin in the game they don't give a shit about how they spend other peoples money. 

Remilia [1284087]

Poor people vote against societies interests all the time. If you offer someone with nothing 100 bucks but it would increase the tax rate in such a way that every company would go out of business and everyone would suffer, they would accept the money.

Sopdet [3682823]

Wtf. The poor have no skin in "the game"??? They have lifes. They have kids and family and friends. Many of them work more than one job. 

Also, try running a f**king hospital without someone cleaning the literal shit up. Or without someone cooking for the patients? You know, the shitty but system relevant jobs done... by the poor. 

Sannemander [2088627]

Idiotic response, you are actually one of the people I was talking about earlier, dumb as f**k.

 

Why should someone of 16 not be able to vote, and you yes.

 

It doesn't make sense.

Remilia [1284087]

Yeah, and they have kids that go to school paid for by the property taxes of landowners. If they work more than one job, they should be able to afford a permanent place to live in the community. You don't have to be rich to own property in the United States, it just requires a certain level of personal risk. Risk that ties your success into the success of the community.

Remilia [1284087]

Are you a brit? Of course the only landowners in your country are billionares since ur on a shitty little island owned by the crown.