Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Cracking: Backspace triggers as error

Started by AleDiniz [3363480] on in Bugs & Issues.

14 replies · 63 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
6
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
8
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
37 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
56 / 100

Most-liked replies

AleDiniz [3363480]

I'm currently posting this with TornTools enabled.

 

 

I dunno if it's supposed to work this way, but you can get a failed attempt at cracking by:

 

1 - Writting a character

2 - Pressing backspace fast

3 - Attempt failed happens

 

I just have an habit of doing this, and i'm getting a lot of those failed attempts. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

CloudJumper [1636201]Staff

Can you replicate the issue in Incognito window with all of your scripts and extensions turned off? I cannot reproduce this at all. Backspace does not count towards your attempts.

CrymeLord [2764328] Admin Staff

So help me understand what's the issue exactly? I'm seeing your A being rejected. That's not a result of pressing backspace, that's just the A being invalid. You can't input a letter and then quickly cancel it by pressing backspace, it doesn't work like that.

 

Do you mean to say the letter A in your video is actually correct in that position?

CloudJumper [1636201]Staff

Either A is taking up 2 attempts or backspace character is being counted as an additional attempt. I have been unable to reproduce it so far. Perhaps we can ask the OP to leave a bugged target open for Pavel to check which characters were being attempted?

CrymeLord [2764328] Admin Staff

I tried replicating with a throttled network but there's guards in place to prevent multi-character input. Meaning a new character isn't accepted until the request for the 1st one completes. It also explicitly accepts letters and digits only, nothing else.

 

A log check when it occurs again could work, to see what it's actually sending to the server.

AleDiniz [3363480]

I have tried checking the logs and yes it logs as unsuccessful twice. I've also tried throttling (3g nw) to check if it makes any diff, but nope.

Looks like some front-end thing, like the guard you said probably. IDK if there's any kind of race conditions (for some kind of guard or validator) or something alike.

 

 

[image: snipboard.io]

 

It just happens if you do it fast and several times. I also noticed that pressing "A" + with the backspace pressed once won't trigger the problem (multiple times fast will)

I also noticed that obv pressing backspace alone or after some not-smallish time won't trigger it as unsuccessful

CrymeLord [2764328] Admin Staff

This all strikes me as very, very niche. A quick look at the code doesn't suggest any obvious errors that could cause this. You mentioned "I just have an habit of doing this" - why? Pressing a letter and backspace in practically the same millisecond is... odd?

AleDiniz [3363480]

I agree that it's niche. Not a priority thing, as it may impact a low perc of users

About the habit of doing that, i have a behavior from typing in common contexts (like writting this text or coding) that i press backspace when i feel that some character or alike is wrong to fix it (which sometimes is the case for cracking)

Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor

I was able to repro on desktop with devtools open and I recorded a video walking through the steps. When a user types a value in a cracking textbox, it makes a POST call to page.php?sid=crimesData&step=prepare.

 

This POST call contains form data which includes a typeID, a crimeID, and 3 values (value1, value2, value3). Value2 appears to correspond to the value entered in the textbox. 

 

When this issue occurs, value2 is empty, but it still counts toward an attempt. As empty string is not a valid guess, I think it's reasonable to consider this a bug. As far as prioritizing it goes - that isn't for me to decide :) 

 

This video expires in 2 days. Let me know if you need me to reupload it. https://streamable.com/nkpiti 

 

Thanks!