Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Directors

Started by junior3 [474324] on in Questions & Answers.

11 replies · 141 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 12 / 12 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
12
Discussion span
→
People posting
7
Likes on archived posts
15
Authority score
45 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
35 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100

Most-liked replies

Triarius22 [2763264]

Your claim that directors have no effect on a company is puzzling, as their decisions are critical to a company’s success and even its very existence. Directors hold significant responsibilities, including:

 

  1. Determining the company’s existence through buying it from the game or another player and paying for costly upgrades.  This can be billions and risky.  

  2. Taking a lot of classes to set the Director employee efficiency bonuses (up to +12%) to boost productivity.

  3. Managing stock orders for businesses requiring inventory.

  4. Establishing sell prices for businesses with sales operations.

  5. Controlling the advertising budget to drive market presence.

  6. Hiring and firing staff who align with company goals.  All staff are real players and finding good employees is very difficult, especially for businesses that have high working stat requirements.

  7. Paying and/or taxing staff.
  8. Owning and managing expensive stock blocks that boost the company.

  9. Distributing or selling training resources to enhance employee performance.

  10. Assigning employees to optimal roles for efficiency.

 

These actions directly shape the company’s operations, profitability, and growth. Could you clarify what specific impact you believe directors lack?  Our work stats don't matter but so many other things do.  That partial list above is things that ONLY a Director can do.

 

If the game gatekept being a Director with work stats, then the path would possibly be closed to many although perhaps some really shouldn't try to lead before they learn how to follow. Still, this is a game where choices, putting the time in and being competent matter.  

IndyCision [2597200]

They add more than that (with the right educations)

You only see the +12 direct boost and not the passive improvements to their actual workstat calculations, or their additional bonuses to sales and advertising.

 

:)

Kaedynn [3253015]

There are times I wish we could give more than one upvote, and this reply is one of those times. WELL said, friend. 

junior3 [474324]

Ok maybe should have been more clear…. I understand how it effects the business with the decision making . My question more was how come if you start off a company with none to a couple employees a director can’t help with sales or any of the positions. Because also a part of being a director/owner is stepping into roles to assist. 

junior3 [474324]

I understand the effect but how come a director can’t contribute to the building of a company with their own working stats and activity. Been playing the game for 20+ years and decided to start a company just for fun and the fact that I started a company and with no employees could not sell product or anything just kind of shocked me

Blazeon [2856659]

without director, there's no company.

 

starting a new company is tough, so you need patience and probably some research on what to do.

to contribute is train your employee and have the education. that's all.

 

junior3 [474324]

I understand there’s no company without director. I’m not concerned about it being tough or any of those things…. I was just looking to start one and possibly run it myself for fun hopefully pick up some newer players to help along the way with my working stats and activity to contribute to the growth of the company that’s all. Just a goofy fact I found out that I was confused about 

IndyCision [2597200]

It helps if you think of it more as a "company director" instead of a "company owner"

You aren't at a mom and pop store where you are part of the staff as well as the owner.

You are just directing from your plushy office on your private island.

 

The only time you would be on the floor working is on an episode of Undercover Boss.

Triarius22 [2763264]

Interesting.  I've only been playing the game for 3.5 years, a lot less than you have but I've been planning to one day be a Director for most of that time.  And in doing so, I read the guides, the many "so you want to be a Director?" posts warning newer players why this was likely a bad idea with specifics of what is reccomended (classes, stock blocks, etc) and read many forum posts from new players who bought a biz without doing research and are struggeling in various ways, the chief of which is usually recruiting staff for their new, no perks, no trains biz.  Im a new Director here, finally.  And I almost bought a mine but couldnt afford it.  Even after all the research I did I didn't fully understand how hard it would be to attract, manage and keep a staff of players with work stats better than my personal work stats.  This Clothing Store has much lower stat requirements and even then staffing one of the biggest challenges even though I bought in at 7 stars and fully staffed.  

 

For what it is worth, I own two small biz in real life too.  

 

Anyway, the information about running a biz in Torn is easily available.  IndyCision makes a good point above "You are just directing from your plushy office on your private island."   I think of it as "majority shareholder" and CEO.  Our elected leaders and fortune 500 CEOs do NOT get their hands dirty doing actual work!  We all know that!