Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

a returning player

Started by KIarkKent [2080813] on in Questions & Answers.

5 replies · 88 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 6 / 6 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
6
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
2
Authority score
43 / 100
Historical score
16 / 100
Story score
28 / 100
Engagement score
50 / 100
KIarkKent [2080813]

My question/s is more geared towards those who were inactive for years and came back to torn. I found myself overwhelmed with finding a purpose / goal to strive towards in this game once I got back two weeks ago. Tried reaching out to ex fac mates and friends but they were either inactive or so much has happened between then and now that they seem to have forgotten me, but I have not...

My questions being:

1.) where did you begin your torn journey (once again)?

2.) did you reach out to old friends for guidance?

3.) How did you figure out what goal you wanted to strive towards in torn?

any of these questions I would greatly appreciate being answered and general advice if you can kindly take time out of your day or not. It's cool.


Thank you.

TugaRambo [1291268]

Hello! Welcome back! :)

 

I was innactive for the better part of 10 years. I came back around 3 years ago and haven't missed a day since.

 

As to the why, it was really about finding two things: 1: ranked wars, which gave me a really fun way to keep invested in the game; 2: a faction that felt like home.

 

There really isn't a magic formula, and what worked for me doesn't necessarily have to work for you. But feel free to DM me if you need to discuss this further, keeping people invested in this game is something that I'm invested in lol

Shooby [2510470]

I played from about 07-12 then quit when I got out of high-school. I didn't come back till I was off work for a bit when covid popped off, wasn't even sure if the game still existed.

 

Most of my old friends from that era aren't around anymore. Though I do keep up with them on other socials every couple years.

 

Stuck around the game, didn't really have any goals, still don't really. Just wanted to f**k around, make some money and get cool stuff (since the release of RW gear). Not to mention rekindling my biggest hobby and enjoyment from the game back then, gfx.

Teddy- [1724400]

I come back maybe a month or 2 ago after 10-11 years of being inactive on this account.

I had another account before and I couldn't be bothered to regain everything at the time, so when I started this one it was just to keep in touch with my friends and I had no intention of playing seriously again.

 

  1. For the first month, I just sat in New Player chat as I was holding at level 3. Was barely training, doing crimes or anything. Just trying to integrate with the community there. No clear goals or purpose. I was living in a shack so training seemed pointless although I was fortunate enough to collect thousands of job points (before it got nerfed) to spend on my stats in the army special. Didn't join a faction and stayed in my army job. Was clueless about what to do as so much has changed over the years from when I last used to play regularly around 2011 on an even older account.

  2. I never reached out to any old friends. I still have some old Torn friends from 15 years+ ago on Facebook but we don't talk any more. The HOF factions I used to be part of don't exist, and those in the HOF now have changed significantly, but there are still some hardcore big name players here who I know that have moved on and are still active and others that aren't. As a restarter though, my stats are no longer good enough to join the factions they're in.

  3. I still don't know my purpose, although I've now joined an active faction and a company. I'm taking regular xanax and I've started training up my stats (as they're beyond the effects of a happy jump). I migrated to Crimes 2.0 and I started reading the wiki and forum posts to get a grip on what is going on now and how things work. 

    There is obviously mention of all these different events, which are all new to me. Last time I played there was a Halloween Town and a Christmas Town, but it seems the Halloween event has changed over the last few years.

    I don't know what I should spend my money on so I just gamble it (and mostly lose). All the "best" items I knew about have been superseded and now cost billions. Faction RW seem to bring in the cash which is great because I cba to travel for plushies and flowers to make money. With the money I have, I still don't know what to spend it on!

    The ultimate goal is obviously stats. So when I can, I buy the occasional booster to help with stat gains, I've started educational courses to boost gym gains. I've bought enhancers to help with crimes. I bought a stock ticker to keep my money somewhat safe in the stock market, started racing and upgrading a car, reset the merits I had previously spent in to more effective perks like banking and education. I'm saving for my own fully upgraded PI, which is obviously a common goal.

    So yeah, stats, house, increasing natural nerve bar, getting good armour. That's really the goal and it's something that has never changed.

    Quite boring when you think about it and it's only the community that keeps Torn alive :) finding an active and talkative faction is important for a good sense of community and purpose.

    That's about all the advice I can offer, but I'd be interested to read other people's ideas too as I am stuck for an overall purpose as well.

 

Knirt [3033570]

Read a lot of guides to learn how things work.  Then take the parts that you like and apply them in the ways that fit you and what you want to be.  Set some short term and long term goals and strive to meet and pass them. 

 

Make new friends you can relate to and find experienced players to ask questions of.  Torn is a open ended game the trick is finding how you want it to be.  The only thing that is really hard to fix is reputation, so try lots of things.   Just don't be an ars.

Nuts [3012443]

Don't think this is count as big inactivity but i left torn for 2y because my life was going down (nothing has changed tbh) returned only this August and what can i say:

My first faction (which was full of helpful and kind people) got disbanded or sold idk, it doesn't exist anymore. From this faction i remembered 2 people - the leader who taught me all the based things in this game and was like wise sensei for me and my friend with whom we talked a lot about everything (ingame and outgame activities) coz we speak the same language. I didn't know if my ex-leader still remembers me, i was an ordinary newbie (with a cool name but anyways) and decided to do a comeback without notice anyone. I played about a week but it was too hard to learn basis things once more (and do things effective or more effective that others), so i just send my friend a text like "Hey, hello, i returned and need some help with learning what have changed". Surprisingly he still remembered me and had his own faction (he was playing all this time i was afk). He invited me, gave me good advices and path i need to follow to rehabilitate from my absence, so im kinda lucky.

What about my ex-leader - i didn't text him, just don't know what to say and why is he need information that i came back. (2y is not a big time, but...) It would be really nice if text him and ask how is he doing, but i think much time have passed and nothing connects us anymore (Stiky if you read this, i hope you are doing well buddy)

About the goal i still dont really know what to do (and never knew), just gaining some stats, pop xan, participate in rw and trying to trade (unsuccessfully), check forum for some interesting topics. I think there is no goal in this game, its just chatting sim with rpg mechanics (i see torn like that), but im spending too much time in it rn doing really nothing)

Good topic really, would be interesting to read others experiences, thanks for your time.