Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Racing xp question

Started by Mr_Charlie [452500] on in Racing.

22 replies · 523 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 23 / 23 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
23
Discussion span
→
Authority score
53 / 100
Historical score
32 / 100
Story score
52 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mr_Charlie [452500]

I'm sure it's been discussed, but I'm not finding it...

Used to be docks 100 lap races were the best way to increase.  But I remember hearing something about more people in a race is better now? Can someone explain or link me to the information about this please?

I'm still doing 2 person, 100 lap docks races and im being passed on the xp leader board.

Ewie [3596059]

I do docks - 100 Lap / 100 racers overnight and this is the best,  rest of the time between flying etc,  i just do official as i need Racing points !

Rogue [1873490]

Withdrawal was (and likely remains) the best for skill gain unless you have time to babysit Speedway races all day. Docks is only for overnight when you're offline 5+ hours.

 

Number of racers now has a big impact though and with more people joining 100 laps Docks races they may be better unless you can get people to join Withdrawals to get that number of racers multiplier up.

Cavill [3303003]

I'm pretty sure a fair bit of the racing skill gain comes from your placement in the race. I've been tracking my races ever since I started racing again and I'm pretty sure 80-lap Speedway with 20-30 racers give the best XP for me at the moment. That being said, if you can only log on a couple of times, you're definitely better off doing 100-lap Dock races with as many people as possible. (Other things to note, other people have set these up, I haven't been able to properly test between the various races, lengths and participant numbers, but it seems that Speedway is slightly better than docks, if you can spam them)

Preferentially, join races with people in it over starting your own race. Use Volt or NSX for Docks, Veloria for Speedway.

I'm planning on posting about all of my findings eventually, but It'll probably take a while.

Baldr [1847600] Reporter

Before the change, I was always (slowly) moving up in the rankings for driver skill.

 

Since the change, I've been slowly dropping in the rankings.

 

I've tried several changes, but so far, haven't come up with any way to maintain or improve my ranking.

 

My racing guide is well known, but I feel I need to add/update info about the best way to build driver skill.  So in addition to wanting to know for myself, I'd like to know so I can update the guide.

 

Currently, I am setting 100 laps dock races and requiring 6 drivers.  Race starts as soon as driver #6 joins.

 

 

Rogue [1873490]

Join the 100 racer Docks races. I can't gain skill anymore but appears those are very good for skill gain. High racer count anything seems good really but Docks seems to get the higher driver counts.

CharmRiver [2334174] Reporter

After racing update the amount of racers in the race is a lot more important than the position you end up in! You will want to join the docks races with 100 people in it because low position in those will still earn more skill than being first in a 6 person race :)

Prezze [2121612]

the biggest issue this driver skill change created is...

the diversity of races...

 

it is only become 100 lap docks races, other races you barely see, besides the 80 lap speedway races which seem to have the idea to be good for skill gain (without no source just trust me bro).

Before the skill change you could at least hold other races, if you do know you are lucky if someone joins them and you end up with a 2 person race.

Red_Baron [1666554]

with a recent update in the race log it's written how much racing skill you gain

 

07:11:03 - 02/12/25 You finished in 7th place in the custom race named SidhuMooseWala's race on Speedway with your Veloria LFA and gained 0.01 racing skill   (80 lap speedway, 23 participant, race time 39:31.38)

 

01:44:03 - 02/12/25 You finished in 52nd place in the custom race named docks on Docks with your Volt GT and gained 0.04 racing skill (100 lap docks, 100 participant, race time 04:57:38.81)

 

so with speedway you gain more XP than docks, as with 4 speedway of 40 min i gain as a docks of almost 5h

 

now if I'm online i run on speedway, during offline hours i run on docks

 

 

 

Baldr [1847600] Reporter

This is the part I was missing.  I hadn't caught on to it being so important now to have lots of people in the race.

 

SlippinGymy explained that to me, and I started joining 80 and 100 lap speedway races with as many people as possible without having a long wait time.  And similarly, if I'm about to go to sleep or something, a 100 laps docks, ideally with lots of people.

 

Once I started focusing more on "lots of people in the race", things improved.  I've had some time trying it out and can see the difference.

 

Baldr [1847600] Reporter

As I've been watching closer, I've noticed lots of people setting up races that require E class cars with no upgrades.

 

I know sometimes factions will hold races that way, in an attempt to lower the advantage that people who race a lot have over people who essentially don't race at all.  The more serious racers will still have their skill, but at least it removes all of the upgrades and such that a newer racer wouldn't have access to.

 

But I'm seeing so many races set up that way, I feel I must be missing something.  Can anyone explain why there are so many?

 

Rogue [1873490]

I can't tell you why there are so many, but from my experience in some of the events (Blue Monday and Think Pink Thursday specifically), racing skill does not seem to matter at all in class E with no upgrades.

 

so maybe there are a lot because they really do level the playing field.

 

(This is anecdotal but....)

In general at 50 laps my 100 RS should be no worse than top half considering many of the racers have under 10 RS, but this is not the case. I finish bottom half frequently and rarely on the podium. Not sure I've won a single race out of 20+ tries in Blue Monday.

Doge5935 [2384632] Reporter

Tbh I dont know. Its probably some competitions that are held around, no other reason I can think of, but what I can tell you is that the time does not influence rs, its like the distance you do in total (the longer the track, the more laps = more xp) otherwise everyone would be locking themselves with class e in docks all the time 🤣🤣

Baldr [1847600] Reporter

Apparently speedway 80 lap races are preferred over 100 lap races.  What is that based on?  I have no reason to say it's wrong, but I must admit, it doesn't feel right.  I'm joining them whether 80 lap or 100 lap, based on start time and number of other racers already in that race, but I'm certainly curious where the belief that 80 laps is better than 100 came from.  And whether it is a confirmed thing, or a rumor.

 

 

 

 

underko [3362751]

i'm pretty sure this is the origin of the 80 lap myth

> 1v1 speedway gives the same RS for 80 laps and 100 laps

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#p=threads&t=16475205

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#p=threads&t=16480956

 

from my own limited testing, i don't think it holds for more participants, but there might be some diminishing returns for 80+ laps, it's hard to say

Mentions: Buffed Racing skill gain tracking · racing RS better gains

Doge5935 [2384632] Reporter

Its based on nothing, iirc origin was a post with a few numbers on it that had no testing done at all with bs conclusions and people ended up believing it. Edit: Post I refer to is on the post on top

 

Makes no sense at all, the more laps and more participants = more xp. Formula would be like idk,  laps*player*0,1*RS = Gains UNLESS if laps = 80 then = 100

 

Its just dumb to host a 80 lap for RS. Just do a 100. If everyone hosted 100 laps we would all be getting more xp

underko [3362751]

from what i can tell it's for sure more RS in a 100lap race, but the question is: is it more RS per hour compared to an 80lap one. that i'm not so sure about.