Chedburns last comment on the subject
By: Chedburn [1]
Posted on 10:28:41 - 08/06/25 (5 months ago)
This is something we've been discussing internally for the last few weeks, and I agree something needs to be done, however, there really isn't a simple solution. It'd be good to have a conversation about it.
Discussions are ongoing with developers who're more knowledgeable than I am, but here's my understanding...
Websockets update the listings live in front of all viewers, the change in stock or the disappearance of a listing indicates a sale - money entering the seller's wallet. In the early days after the Item Market's release I believe we limited how many market connections each user could 'listen' to in order to prevent a player listening in on the markets of many different items - but anyone can still listen in on a particular item for live updates. There is no benefit to anonymizing these socket updates, because the random key still has to be linked to the listing and seller of course.
So this is just how live updates work. If you can watch market updates live, scripts can too, and there's nothing we can do about that. We can certainly ban that activity, but how do you ban an activity that's impossible to observe?
There are a few solutions I can think of, but they're all disruptive, and none of them are great I don't think...
- Remove all live updates from the Item Market. Scripts could still illegally reload pages and scrape this data, but we'd be able to track anyone doing this automatically. This may make using the Item Market quite tedious - as players will continuously be attempting to buy listings that have already sold, and they won't see any new/better listings without reloading the page.
- Mitigate buy-mugging on the item market by offering anonymity by default or for a cheaper price.
- Mitigate buy-mugging by delaying the deposit of sales to the seller by a random number of minutes.
- Mitigate buy-mugging by protecting those Item Market sales, or even any recently received sums that have been applied to the user without their own direct action, from being mugged for a while. Similar to how slowly decaying protection on wallet funds is applied after a recent mug.
- Eliminate buy-mugging by having funds go into cashiers checks, or more likely, stored in the market itself similar to how Bookies handles funds.
Would be good for some clarification on what's "illegal" vs not here. Or if it's simply that they plan to make it illegal IF they found good tracking methods.
So valid questions are how is/isn't it allowed to be used going forward as it seemed to be technically allowed, but frowned upon before.
I suspect as with most things someone went too far with dedicated multis/hiring people dedicated to feeding data into a bot across several accounts creating a network to track everything, which is the obvious outcome of allowing it. But again, AFAIK this is all technically allowed minus the multis part.
I suspect this is just step 1 testing what they CAN reliably track before setting standards they can't enforce. Still, I'd be nervous if I were someone running it. DA toyed with the notion of one and decided it was unethical regardless of the rules.