Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Russian Roulette

Started by MHDigantoo [3334091] on in Gambling.

20 replies · 579 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
38 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
53 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

dape08 [2887642] ×1

MrTouchtheybutt [3893666]

Russian roulette is a 50/50 game, so the only things you can do is managing your bankroll, knowing when to increase your bets and when to decrease them.

 

Acts of courage do not do anything but only increase your odds of losing in the long run. It is better to do 1x shots.

 

Starting a game will give you a slight advantage against the player who joins it. Similar to blackjack, where the player is at a disadvantage since they have to take the first action (which could lead to an immediate bust), the player who joins has to shoot themselves first (which could lead to an immediate loss). 

 

There are a few betting strategies, but you could lose insane amounts of money doing these. Martingale is a very popular one, if you lose two times you double your bet, afterwards, you double your bet until you win. An example would be: Bet 200k, lose, bet 200k, lose, bet 400k, win. In theory, it would be the best, but this requires you to have infinite money for it to work.

 

There is a discord server called the "Sore Foot Club" that talks all about Russian roulette. And make sure to buy several small first aid kits, you will need a lot.

 

It's all about luck. One player will win it all, the other will lose it all.

Doidburg [3988264]

Despite my current residence in hospital as the result of shooting myself in the foot, I have learned that starting the bout increases the chance of winning by a tiny margin.

CurlyBracket [2766476]

Your second mistake is thinking that you can learn anything from a small number of RR games that you've played.

 

Your first mistake is playing RR at all.

Macadelic [2671784]

RR in torn is NOT a 50/50 chance game by any means. I've just lost 10 games in a row. The odds of that happening with a 50/50 odds is 1 in 60+ million. 

pawl [1821105]

The odds of winning 10 games are the same. 

The odds of WLWLWLWLWL are the same. 

The odds of WWLWLWLLLW are the same.

The odds of any set of ten results are the same. 

 

If you check your overall stats, and the overall RR stats you'll see that everything works out to about equal. If your stats are skewed then it's simply a temporary lean that will be corrected with big enough numbers of games played. 

Flakka [2529947]

This is terrible advice. If you bet the same amount twice before doubling then once you win you'll make nothing. You bet your 200k or other starter amount and immediately double it on every loss. 

 

You need to have enough bankroll to go 8 losses before you reset and then do it all again. Chance of getting 8 losses in a row is 1 in 256 but it doesn't really work out like that, at least in my experience. 

 

I use a martingale system with a linear addition so I double my bet and then add my very first bet onto that so in the example from above - you're making 200k on each loss until you win. That would look like [200k, 600k, 1.4m, 3m, 6.2m, 12.6m, 25.4m, 51m, reset]. 

 

Source:

ShaneFalco [3995562]

Russian Roulette in Torn PDA

 

(Yes, you shoot your foot, not your head. This is still a terrible idea.)

 

⸻

 

First, the “please don’t” section (read this, seriously)

 

I do not suggest anyone gamble, ever. This article exists for people who will choose to do it anyway, fully aware that it can cause substantial financial stress—and in some cases, make people quit Torn entirely when a long, ugly string of bad luck finally shows up like it owns the place.

 

Let me be painfully clear:

• No matter how successful you are, you WILL have a major loss at some point.

It’s not if. It’s when.

The only trick is having a stop loss before the game invents one for you.

 

• I don’t play with emotions.

If you gamble emotionally, you are already broke—you just don’t know it yet.

Any system requires emotional detachment and discipline. If you can’t do that, prepare to lose everything and then blame the game (even though it was you).

 

⸻

 

Context for the uninitiated

 

This is Torn’s version of Russian Roulette. You’re not risking your skull—just your foot and your wallet. The foot heals. The wallet… not always.

 

⸻

 

How I started (a story powered almost entirely by luck)

 

When I was new, I bought a group of donator packs so I could support myself instead of leaning on friends who had been playing much longer. I didn’t want to be a burden.

 

And then… I got lucky.

 

The three parts of my luck

 

1️⃣ I didn’t get buy-mugged fast enough to seriously injure my pride.

This is underrated luck. Anyone who’s been buy-mugged knows exactly what I mean.

 

2️⃣ I played one Russian Roulette game for $192,000,000… and won.

Yes. One spin. One pull. One extremely stupid decision that worked.

 

That’s where it started.

 

With that win, I used a Martingale-style approach—except instead of doubling, I multiplied my losses by 2.5× for the next bet.

 

3️⃣ Over the next 48 hours, I started at $500,000 per bet and never lost more than five in a row.

That is PURE LUCK. NOT SKILL.

I won an amount that sounds fake if I say it out loud.

 

⸻

 

Here’s the part you really need to read

 

The bad string did catch me.

 

Within a month, I lost $800,000,000. Not a typo.

 

I hit one of those streaks that makes you say things like:

• “This game is rigged”

• “There’s no way this is random”

• “I should absolutely increase my bet again”

 

I had no personal stop loss, and I was playing far too aggressively.

 

That loss was 100% on me.

 

⸻

 

Resetting the brain instead of the account

 

After that disaster, I stopped, sat down, and calmly mapped out a system and a recovery plan.

 

What helped the most

 

I researched and read Dape08’s blog on Russian Roulette.

You should read it too—it’s worth your time.

 

In short:

His system bets previous losses + $105,000, guaranteeing recovery and profit once you finally win.

 

👉 Use that system.

Do not copy mine.

His is safer, cleaner, and far less likely to make you hate the game (even though, yes, gambling is still your fault 😄).

 

⸻

 

What I do now (the “I enjoy sleeping” version)

 

These days I play far more conservatively. I’ve had enough scares to justify a few extra visits to the porcelain throne.

 

I now average $15–25 million per day.

That’s nowhere near what I used to make—but who cares what you made if you can lose 30% in one bad string?

 

This works for me, for now.

 

⚠️ Don’t try this at home.

Or do—just don’t say nobody warned you.

 

Bet #

Bet Amount ($)

Result

Loss This Bet ($)

Cumulative Losses ($)

If This Bet Won → Net Profit

1

100,000

Loss

100,000

100,000

+100,000

2

200,000

Loss

200,000

300,000

+200,000

3

400,000

Loss

400,000

700,000

+400,000

4

800,000

Loss

800,000

1,500,000

+800,000

5

2,500,000

Loss

2,500,000

4,000,000

+1,000,000

6

5,000,000

Loss

5,000,000

9,000,000

+1,000,000

7

10,000,000

Loss

10,000,000

19,000,000

+1,000,000

8

21,000,000

Loss

21,000,000

40,000,000

+2,000,000

9

42,000,000

Loss

42,000,000

82,000,000

+2,000,000

10

84,000,000

Loss

84,000,000

166,000,000

+2,000,000

11

168,000,000

Loss

168,000,000

334,000,000

+2,000,000

12

336,000,000

Loss

336,000,000

670,000,000

+2,000,000

 

What will mess you up?

 

1.People who are annoying and double- or triple-pull. That’s arrogant and reckless. I don’t play with people like that. If they win like that, it gives you courage to try it. Don’t. Just don’t. 

 

2. People who mug you when there’s an obvious $0.00 in your wallet. The game hasn’t even started yet. Why mug when all my money is already in play? Waste your E somewhere else. Why does this mess you up? Often times, one small med kit isn’t enough to get out of the hospital, if mugged. This increases your medical cooldown = Shorter playing time. 

3. And emotions.

Those’ll ruin everything if you let them.

________

 

TIPS TO “LESSEN THE STRESSIN’”

 

1. Live on a money-dump screen while the opponent is shooting

Do not view the opponent’s shot. Ever.

  • If you own a Private Island, stay on the vault
  • Or stay on your faction vault (deposit tab)
  • Or keep your stocks screen open

Your wallet is a pie in the window to a homeless person.

 

2. Use the sound, not your eyes 🔊

Don’t watch the animation. Listen for the gunshot.

I have logs where I:

-Won

-Got mugged within 2 seconds

The catch:

There is a log between those two events showing I dumped the winnings into stocks within 1 second of the win.

 

That single habit will save you millions over time.

 

3. You WILL be mugged — plan for it

Once your money is in the game, your wallet should read $0.00.

 

4. If you start being attacked while playing, wait to pull the trigger on your end. Make sure you see that notification that they finished their attack. Some people will kill you and then wait 25 seconds before pressing the “mug” button. They only have a 30 second window to wait on the mug. So…wait them out. 

 

Seeing someone mug you for $0.00 is oddly comforting.

Let them burn their energy.

Your money is already gone—on purpose.

Mentions: dape08 [2887642]

pawl [1821105]

1. People who use x2/x3 are fine. They're increasing their chances of losing - let them!

 

2. People who mug before your game is taken are also fine. Free hosp to give you time to bank your winnings! Always use a ghost trade, and always be ready. Mugger joins mid game? Now it's a race! 😁

Flakka [2529947]

I reset at 8. I used to use a 12 loss stop but I got back to back 12 loss streaks with only 1 win in between. Absolutely crippled me and I had 200m in liquid to my name. I had a lot of luck but mostly just did 8 losses and took the hit.

 

Overall it seems to work unless I manage to get more than 2 busts a week but so far it's been chilled.

 

Others I've spoken to have not been as lucky as me though and you have to have enough liquid to survive 1.5-2 busts in the week you start to get off the ground and into net profit waters