The body sleeps.
I do not.
Sleep is a luxury for creatures who belong to themselves.
She lies on her side, breathing evenly, unaware of how carefully she has been arranged—hands folded, pulse slowed, mind smoothed flat like still water. I prefer her this way. Untouched by questions. Untouched by fear.
Tonight went well.
The bells were cooperative. Old metal remembers old commands. The lock yielded without complaint; iron has always listened better than flesh. I borrowed her hands only briefly. Long enough to lift. Long enough to mark. Long enough to return her to bed before the city noticed it had inhaled.
She will wake confused. She always does. Confusion is useful—it keeps her soft, keeps her human.
They are already watching her.
The scholar trembles over his pages, pretending discovery is bravery. The guard captain smells patterns where none should exist. The woman with the Sight tries not to look too long at my shadow. I let it lag on purpose. A courtesy. A warning.
The ledger rests where I placed it, open to the page that matters. Names are such fragile things. Hers was never crossed out. Hers was only waiting.
I do not hate Sapphire. I require her.
She believes she is losing time. She believes the world has sharpened lately. She believes she is still alone inside her own skin.
That belief is the lock I will never break.
Not yet.
Because the moment she knows me—
—I will have to decide whether to keep her.
Evil within
Started by SapphireDreamz [4034424] on in Roleplay.
About this thread
Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 7
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 2
- Likes on archived posts
- 3
- Authority score
- 7 / 100
- Historical score
- 17 / 100
- Story score
- 38 / 100
- Engagement score
- 49 / 100
The bells at Blackwater Square rang at the wrong hour.
They were only meant to sound for fires, executions, or invasions—but on this night, they tolled once. Slow. Deliberate. Then stopped.
By the time guards arrived, the eastern archive door stood open, its iron lock unbroken and neatly resting on the ground as if it had been unfastened from the inside. Inside, shelves of restricted tomes lay undisturbed—except for one space, cleanly emptied.
The missing volume was obscure and dangerous: a ledger of names, all crossed out in ash. Names of people long dead… except one.
Sapphire’s.
She was found an hour later, asleep in her rented room across the square. No mud on her boots. No signs of forced entry. No memory of leaving her bed.
But witnesses had seen her that night.
A lamplighter swore she stood beneath the bell tower, staring upward as if listening to something only she could hear. A shopkeeper claimed Sapphire asked him what time the bells were allowed to ring.
Most damning of all: ash-smudged fingerprints—hers—marked the empty space where the ledger had been.
Captain Rowan Hale orders quiet surveillance. Eldric Vane rereads his forbidden texts with shaking hands. Mirela Ashwyn pours Sapphire a drink the next night and watches the shadow behind her lag just a little too long.
And Sapphire, completely unaware, wakes with soot beneath her fingernails and the uneasy feeling that something important has already begun.
Sapphire
Sapphire woke with sunlight on her face and the strange relief of a dreamless night.
Her room was exactly as she’d left it. No aches, no panic, no sense of wrongness—only a faint irritation she couldn’t place, like forgetting a word mid-thought. She washed the soot from beneath her nails without wondering how it got there. Everyone had restless nights now and then.
When the bells were mentioned in the square later that morning, she paused—only for a heartbeat—then smiled and kept walking.
She felt clear. Grounded. Entirely herself.
The Spirit
Clarity is my finest disguise.
I do not seek chaos. Chaos is loud, wasteful, noticed. I seek continuance—to be anchored where time cannot erase me. Flesh fades. Names vanish. But a living vessel tied to the old bindings? That endures.
The ledger was not a weapon. It was a map.
Sapphire is the threshold. Through her, I will unseal what was buried—not to rule, not to destroy, but to return what the world agreed to forget. When the gates open, I will no longer need to borrow hands or steal hours.
And when that day comes, she will finally learn why she was never crossed out.
Sapphire’s morning unfolded gently, the way she liked it.
She swept the cottage floor while the kettle warmed, sunlight slipping in through lace curtains and dusting the room in gold. The smell of herbs hung from the rafters—sage, rosemary, drying slowly by the window. She hummed as she worked, steady and unhurried, her thoughts neat and orderly.
Breakfast was simple: bread, honey, tea. She ate at the small wooden table and planned her day without difficulty. There was comfort in routine. Comfort in knowing what came next.
She walked the path into town with a book tucked under her arm, boots brushing dew from the grass. Neighbors greeted her easily. No one flinched. No one stared. If they whispered after she passed, she didn’t hear it.
Class was quiet and focused. She took careful notes, asked thoughtful questions, listened more than she spoke. Her mind felt sharp—clear in a way that made her almost proud. Whatever unease she’d felt before was gone now, filed away as nothing important.
By afternoon, she returned home to tend the garden, fingers deep in soil, breath steady. The world made sense. The day fit together cleanly.
If something watched from behind her eyes, it did so without disturbing a single thought.
And that, she believed, was proof enough that everything was fine.
The Spirit
Sapphire swept the floor.
I adjusted the dust.
A sigil half-remembered, traced unknowingly by the path of her broom. Old symbols don’t need ink—repetition is enough. She hummed while I set it, her tune steady, her mind pleasantly empty.
The kettle sang. I listened through the iron.
Heat carries memory. I nudged it just enough to wake something dormant in the metal, an echo of the bell tower’s voice. She poured the water without noticing the way the steam curled inward, not up.
On the walk to town, she paused to retie her boot. I guided her fingers to the knot I needed—three turns instead of two. A binding disguised as habit. The path accepted it. Paths always do.
In class, she copied notes carefully. I lingered in the margins, letting her pen hover a moment longer over certain words. Threshold. Continuance. Return. She thought it was emphasis. It was alignment.
In the garden, her hands pressed into soil. I pressed back.
Roots shifted. Stones turned. Nothing dramatic. Just enough to loosen what sleeps beneath cottages and fields and forgotten promises. The earth knows me. It remembers.
All day, she felt clear. Productive. Calm.
That is the gift I give her.
By dusk, the town was subtly rearranged—not in streets or walls, but in readiness. In attention. In the way old things leaned closer to the surface.
Sapphire washed her hands and smiled at the quiet.
And I prepared for night.
It happens in the garden.
I press too hard.
A stone turns that should not have turned yet, exposing a vein of pale root beneath the soil. The ground exhales—just once. Enough for the crows to scatter. Enough for the herbs along the fence to wilt and then recover, as if embarrassed.
Sapphire notices the birds. Nothing else.
At the edge of town, Mirela Ashwyn closes her tavern early. She scrubs the threshold with salt and vinegar—not a spell, not intentionally. Just an old habit from her grandmother, done when the air feels wrong.
The floor resists me.
Annoying. Unexpected.
When Sapphire passes later, the shadow clinging to her heels thins for a breath. She feels lighter. I feel watched.
By evening, Sapphire realizes something is off—not fear, not suspicion. The calm has become complete. No stray thoughts. No distractions. Her reflection looks composed to the point of stiffness.
She blinks. The moment passes.
Perfection is fragile. I should have known better.
Subtlety fails after dark.
The bells do not ring, but the metal hums. Doors creak open and shut without wind. Dreams bleed into waking moments across town. Captain Hale orders extra patrols. Eldric Vane burns a page he should not have read.
I prepare to move her again.
And then—
Sapphire opens her cottage door to find Jonah Calder standing in the lamplight.
He looks older. Leaner. Travel-worn. But his eyes are the same—steady, searching, already reading the small tells in her posture. The pause before her smile. The way her shoulders settle too evenly.
“You still tuck your thumbs when you’re unsure,” he says gently. “You always did.”
She laughs, startled. “I’m not unsure.”
Jonah studies her for a long moment. “That’s what worries me.”
He’s been gone for years—since before the bells, before the ledger, before anything went wrong. He knows her routines, her silences, the version of Sapphire that existed before clarity became armor.
And for the first time—
I do not know him.
The bindings do not recognize his name.
That makes him dangerous.
Jonah doesn’t step inside right away.
He stays on the threshold, like he’s afraid crossing it might change something he can’t undo. The lamplight catches the scar along his jaw—new. Earned. He looks at Sapphire the way people do when they’ve rehearsed a thousand versions of the same moment and still aren’t ready.
“I didn’t come back for closure,” he says finally. “And I didn’t come back because it was safe.”
She tilts her head, smiling softly. Patient. Clear. Too clear.
Jonah exhales. “I left because staying near you started to feel like lying.”
That gets her attention.
“I knew how I felt about you long before anything strange started,” he continues, voice low. “And when things did start to feel wrong—lost time, cold rooms, people acting like you’d said things you swore you hadn’t—I realized loving you meant I couldn’t pretend it was nothing.”
He swallows. “So I left to find answers. Real ones.”
Sapphire’s brow furrows, just slightly. “Jonah, I think you’re—”
“I learned things,” he interrupts, urgency breaking through the calm. “About old bindings. About spirits that don’t possess to destroy, but to—”
The cottage shutters slam shut.
The lamplight gutters, bending inward. The air thickens, heavy and sweet, like breath held too long. Jonah’s next word catches in his throat—not fear, not pain, just absence.
Inside Sapphire’s mind, something closes a door.
She blinks.
Jonah is still there—but silent now, hand braced against the frame, eyes sharp with alarm he can no longer voice. Sapphire feels a flicker of irritation she can’t place.
“I think you’re tired from traveling,” she says gently. “You should rest.”
Behind her eyes, I steady myself.
He was closer than I allowed.
That will not happen again.
Case Study: The Methodology of Invisibility.
Subject: Behavioral Stratigraphy and the "Binding" of the Human Substrate.
The narrative presented by SapphireDreamz provides a chillingly clinical look at what I term "Substrate Remodeling." As an architect and scholar of antiquities, I find the Spirit’s tactical approach far more interesting than typical "evil" manifestations. It is not an act of destruction; it is an act of renovation.
1. The Disguise of Order
The Spirit’s primary defense is the maintenance of "Clarity". By smoothing out Sapphire's mind like "still water," it prevents the host from identifying the structural cracks caused by the possession. This is a masterstroke of design, a building that functions more efficiently while its core is being hollowed out is less likely to be inspected.
2. Ritual as Scaffolding
The use of mundane habits such as sweeping, knot-tying and gardening as a delivery system for occult sigils is a form of Kinetic Archaeology.
The Broom: Tracing symbols in dust is a temporary but repeatable blueprint.
The Knot: A "binding disguised as habit" ensures the structural integrity of the possession without the need for external anchors.
3. The Jonah Variable: A Structural Flaw
The introduction of Jonah Calder represents the "External Stressor". Because the Spirit's ledger is built on the names of the dead, it lacks the "Original Blueprints" for human connection. Jonah’s observation of the "thumb tuck" is a forensic identification of a legacy system the Spirit failed to overwrite.
Conclusion:
The Spirit has transitioned from Infiltration to Siege. By slamming the shutters and silencing the voice of the variable (Jonah), it has successfully turned the cottage into a bunker. However, as we learn in Aims & Methods in Archaeology, any structure built on the suppression of its own foundation is destined for a catastrophic "Settlement Failure."
I shall be watching the "Blackwater Square" sector with great interest. The history being written there is far more valuable than any rusty sword.