Having just gone through the pain of opening a new company, I am a bit surprised there is no "founder" (or similar) merit for it.
I would suggest adding it given how much of a milestone it can be to many players.
Started by Hemicrania [2751434] on in Suggestions.
Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Having just gone through the pain of opening a new company, I am a bit surprised there is no "founder" (or similar) merit for it.
I would suggest adding it given how much of a milestone it can be to many players.
I have a feeling this would create a lot of one off companies that are immediately abandoned, presumably whatever company has the cheapest start up cost. Doesn't really seem like much actual work would need to be put in. Now if you want a merit for starting a company and then getting it to X number of stars, that, I feel, would be a much more rewarding merit
Agreed. Opening a company is really not that difficult. If a merit is to be issued, I'd want to see the player own all necessary stocks, have it fully upgraded, staffed, and give out a certain amount of trains or something.
Tbf, it’s not like it is difficult to donate 100k and 1m to the church.
True, but those two actions don't create anything for the game to keep track of. They only remove stuff from the game. This would flood the market with thousands upon thousands of abandoned candle shops
If people were doing it just for the merit, I’d imagine they’d create it and then just immediately sell it back to the city. Plus, you need to be level 10 to be a director, so it’s not something you can create an account and do immediately, you have to put in a little legwork first (albeit not a lot of legwork, doesn’t take much to get to level 10)
Theres plenty of merits out there that take 0 effort and don’t take anything out of the game, I don’t see why this can’t be one also.
Although I’d personally suggest the merit be for ranking up a company to at least a star.
Because if they don't sell it back, then there are more companies. I don't disagree with the merit for a company, it just needs to be something that is earned since it does effect other players' performances in how company ranks are figured out.
It would also create a bunch of companies that new players see as an opportunity to keep and use and therefore recruit other new players into a 0* company run by a level 10 who is still learning the game. That's great and all - to each their own, but when other new players join new player companies and get nothing from it and disengage, the game could lose out on long term players because they simply could not find a way to progress.
Sure, that's a niche case, but incentivizing players to create factions or companies is just a hell no.