Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Reverse buy mugs

Started by Control [3797240] on in Questions & Answers.

15 replies · 301 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 16 / 16 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
16
Discussion span
→
People posting
9
Likes on archived posts
16
Authority score
46 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
37 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100
Control [3797240]

We all know buy mugs. You buy something from a bazaar or the item market and then you mug the seller. To my surprise, I had it happen in reverse. I bought something and a few seconds later the seller of these items tried to mug me.

 

Fortunately only four dollars were lost, but it does make me wonder. Is sell mugging the new buy mugging? And is it effective? 

IForty [3252040]

Depends what it is they’re selling I guess. If it is something peoppe

generally buy a lot of/buy in bulk, some people might have a lot of cash on them to buy a few hundred Xanax for example or a few thousand points. 

Control [3797240]

I was buying weapons. And while I tried to keep the exact amount on me for each item bought, I had almost gotten lazy about it. So I guess it does work. 

HoenerSa [3298281]

Simply always keep two tabs open..

 

1 where you do the trade

2 where you put your cash

 

It's the most effective way to block any mugger 

 

Mugging is part of the game, people are getting more creative on how they do it...

 

I personally see no issue with this as it's a crime based game and part of it's design, sooner or later everyone chases those merits lol

 

Just be alert never slack and you will do alright

 

;-)

 

Whenever i got lazy and got mugged, i send a message and congratulated that mugger (if anonymous i know it's the buyer/ seller if it's within a few seconds), coz it gets me to re-establish my alert level ha ha and yeah hats off to the one who catches me off guard ... a well deserved "great job" always follows 

 

Also experienced some mugging right after buying something valuable from someone's bazaar lol... so it's another "new" trend lol.. 

 

I always appreciate creative thinking 😅

Thesaurus_Rex [3812395]

I've experienced this, but its generally whenever I'm buying points from the point market.  Someone will post about 5-10 entries and try to mug you the second you grab the first, on the notion that you have enough cash on you to buy the whole lot.  Its happened frequently enough that I've started to avoid folks who I see have several postings.

Control [3797240]

Yeah. Smart move!

 

The points market is where I first noticed this, years ago. And because you cannot predict the size of listings, people rarely hold the exact amount of cash. Listings (used to) go too quick for that. 

 

I'd love to hear from a sell mugger. It must be lucrative. 

Theory [2190956]

Lol this has been happening since before you were even a twinkle in the game. Especially casino passes. Ain't nothing new. 

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

Sell mugs are common on expensive items you need multiple of like erotic DVDs, fhcs, casino passes, cans, businesses (cash on hand to fill vault and do upgrades - not a sell mug really but same concept).

Theory [2190956]

Lol first time it happened to me I lost my shit like What the...? 

 

Pay enough attention and eventually you can anticipate it well enough and counteract. 

zzZ-Eryenne [1661145]

 


 

Whenever i got lazy and got mugged, i send a message and congratulated that mugger (if anonymous i know it's the buyer/ seller if it's within a few seconds), coz it gets me to re-establish my alert level ha ha and yeah hats off to the one who catches me off guard ... a well deserved "great job" always follows 

 

Also experienced some mugging right after buying something valuable from someone's bazaar lol... so it's another "new" trend lol.. 

 

I always appreciate creative thinking 😅

Last edited by HoenerSa on 19:47:56 - 11/02/26 (3 days ago

 

Just cz someone gets mugged a few seconds after a purchase n happens to be a stealth attack DOES NOT mean it was the buyer. How many times have y'ns been mugged right after a sale n it wasn't stealthed n it wasn't the buyer? I can't tell you how many times I've been accused of mugging when it wasn't me.