Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Virus programming completion time

Started by Hexedexemal [4030124] on in Bugs & Issues.

5 replies · 64 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 6 / 6 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
6
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
2
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
56 / 100
Historical score
39 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
49 / 100

Most-liked replies

Hexedexemal [4030124]

I'm currently posting this with TornTools enabled.

 

I have tried with TT disabled as well.

 

The issue is that I am programming a virus, and it's completion time has apparently passed. According to the API:

 

 

which in human readable is:

 

 

And on my laptop:

 

 

So about 5 minutes after the completion time, it will "finish very shortly".  And after 18 minutes have gone by, and I refresh:

 

 

It will still finish very shortly.  Without Torn Tools enabled, the result is the same (except the screen layout is different):

 

 

So, my assumption is that either the API is wrong, or "very shortly" does not mean what I think it does, or there is another mechanism in play I am not aware of, or perhaps the coding time reduction isn't factored in somewhere, or just some bug I haven't thought of. In any case, can this either be explained or fixed?

 

I'm now at 27 minutes past the completion time and it is still going to finish "very shortly"...

 

Thanks in advance,

 

 

with [2145430]

So virus programming is kind of not tied to the second you start programming the virus. 

 

How I assume it works based on these screenshots and this thread, is that it calculates the number of days left on the virus timer, and displays the shortly message when the number of days is less than 1.

 

It then completes the actual virus at 3:25 tct.

 

Addendum: I'm just trying to explain the behavior. I'd consider it a bug since the API gives inaccurate information.

Mentions: Coding Reduction

splent [2088243] Admin Staff

Hey, 

 

So viruses are normally finished on a new TCT day.

I think there was some kind of a temporary issue here which didn't complete your virus coding in time. 

 

Can you let me know if you have the same issue in 5 days once your current virus programming comes to an end? 

 

Thanks! 

Hexedexemal [4030124]

Sorry I didn’t notice your reply until today, the same problem has persisted but I will supply more details tomorrow when my current one ends. It does seem to consistently be after 3 tct, not new day. Actually, looking at my log, consistently 3:25 and around 10 or 15 secs every time. That’s the log time stamp.

 

Hexedexemal [4030124]

03:57:04 - 17/05/26 You started programming a simple virus which will take 5 days to complete

03:25:15 - 22/05/26 You completed the programming of a simple virus

 

5/17 20:03 hrs

5/18-5/21 - 4 days

5/22 - 3:25 hrs

 

Total: 4 days 23.5 hrs approx

----------------

10:46:31 - 07/05/26 You started programming a simple virus which will take 5 days to complete

03:25:15 - 12/05/26 You completed the programming of a simple virus

 

13:15 + 3:25 + 4 days = 4 days 16:30 approx

-----------------

 

For simple viruses, it always states "It will take 5 more days before it is completed."

I have an IIL stock block, hence 5 days (not 10)

 

So, I guess the worst case scenario is it could take 5 days 3.5 hrs approx, I didn't do the math for the best case but it is less than 5 days, so the time is sort of deterministic assuming it always completes at 3:25 TCT, but not 5 days exactly. I am not concerned about it but it might be nice if it was either documented or the time remaining was accurate...

 

Thanks,