Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Steadfast idea [350+]

Started by -HellHound- [1580868] on in Suggestions.

112 replies · 1.08k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 113 / 113 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

-HellHound- [1580868]

Thanks Ched for the review.

 

Firstly, I know of faction members moving factions so they can train with a certain Steadfast set-up and this would stop them having to endure the recruit nightmare.

 

Secondly, I feel that if a faction has met a challenge and has the respect available then it seems unfair that they cannot use in normal gym rotations. To add to this the #20 factions now have so much respect that they are closing in on a situation where they have more respect than upgrades to set.

 

Finally, we already have the Toleration branch that is 'set and forget', I see no issues with that branch or have ever heard anyone wish it to be different. So many up votes for this change it appears the community would welcome the change.

 

Regards,

HH

Wade [2220399]

This is a great idea and the vast majority of the player base will welcome it I think. Having the ability to train what you want without a penalty for any player in the faction, meaning they can have better opportunities to train on specific books, use cans etc. Most factions currently have a specific rotation of which steadfasts are on, and whilst this makes sense logically as the desired game design - in practice it is rather tedious, annoying and most of all unproductive for many players who have to wait months to use a book for example.

 

As for the factions who have too much respect and nothing to spend it on - you can add a 5th branch of the steadfast tree that reduces the amount of happy spent during training by a % like 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50 % for example. Those can cost a lot and would be a good endgame respect sink.

 

 

RGiskard [1953860]

Thanks for at least considering this.

 

To start, it's worth noting that this suggestion has 335 R+ and 0 R-, so, at least in the community's eyes, it seems to be universally preferred over the current system.

 

About friction, I think it's good if it enforces a particular gameplay outcome that makes the game more interesting in some fashion. There is definitely some difference in gameplay that comes out of it, but is it of any use?

 

Are any of the factions that haven't reached the 10% goals rotating their steadfast settings? Every case I've heard of from people directly or in faction descriptions makes me think they all just set steadfast as high as they can and increase it as soon as they can, never on a rotating schedule.

 

Similarly, I've never heard of a faction that specializes in a single stat. Factions are too holistic, and recruit status severely discourages doing things any differently, including in this case, because you lose 6 days of steadfast AND toleration to leave your home base and come back.

 

The gameplay difference in factions with 11%+ is that people wait on books until the right steadfast comes around. They also use it to decide their schedule for balancing/rebalancing stats, such as with special gym ratios or preparing to use stat enhancers or trying to stay balanced. There are also people who have a good reason to train a stat that is currently not in rotation, and they just take it on the chin or leave for a temporary faction to train in.

 

All that does add a little bit of flavor, but only a little. It doesn't achieve diversity, because no faction chooses to specialize and no individual chooses, in the long run, to set up their stats differently. It certainly doesn't add anything extra to strive for, and instead lowers the total amount of respect you need before you max out your important upgrades.

 

I think choosing not to censor f**k anymore cost more flavor than this, in all honesty.

 

Thanks for listening.

Shoop [1326199]

Like 99% of players don’t run the factions, so they just have to go with the routine that leadership decide on anyway (with some democratic normally involved). 
It’s often more beneficial to follow Baldr’s gym advice and have the special gyms open, so that makes steadfast irrelevant for some people.

 

The main reason I’d say it’s a good idea, is to use up respect. 
Just make the extra steadfast branches more expensive.

 

It provides a multitude of gameplay improvements.

  1. Something to aim for again
  2. Makes respect gain relevant at the top end
  3. Provides a buff to dirty bombs, as the current respect loss caused by them is meaningless to top factions. At least when one hits they can lose the respect and therefore the buff/steadfast

 

All 3 of those can be achieved by any new introduction into the branches (that people will actually want). It still applies for this steadfast improvement and clearly people actually want it.

 

The residual effects would cause an activity spike in not just the top end factions, but the other too, as they all race for the top perks.

Fatbears [2197270]

It's not diversity, it's hoops people have to jump through.  It doesn't make it more interesting or fun.  

 

I don't agree with unlocking 20% on all 4 but I'd like to see 15% unlocked on all 4 with one offensive and one defensive to 20% 

TNARGi [2494301]

Could not disagree with this more.

 

 

 

I chose a relatively balanced stat ratio and gym steadfast rotation was a component in that decision. As a result, I'm comfortable on pretty much any rotation.

I'm also subject to the disadvantages of my ratio but, importantly, it was a conscious decision.

 

 

 

Different people have different skills and different engagement profiles throughout thier Torn life. Those variations create diversity in the playerbase by allow people to thrive in certain areas or be punished by others.

I'm pretty shit at most things but I did have the forethought to consider some of the consequences of my decisions, and that is an area that I continue to benefit from in a small way

every day.

-HellHound- [1580868]

I think you are missing the point - rotations aren't permanent, and if you are a balanced battle stat player then my suggestion would benefit you to keep the balance.

Not even answering the last paragraph as it serves no purpose to this suggestion.