Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

[Script] TornCast

Started by Upsilon [3212478] on in Tools & Userscripts.

8 replies · 335 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 9 / 9 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
9
Discussion span
→
People posting
7
Likes on archived posts
15
Authority score
37 / 100
Historical score
30 / 100
Story score
41 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100
Upsilon [3212478]

TornCast

Hello everyone,

I’d like to share a script I’ve been working on recently called TornCast. As a complete saine person, this idea comes from me thinking: "dragging my mouse to click button is painful, why can't I type it".

TornCast is a keyboard-driven command palette for Torn. If you’ve ever used Raycast on macOS, dmenu on i3wm, or any kind of launcher that lets you do everything from a single input, you’ll immediately get the idea. For those on windows, well... Cortana I guess?

You press a shortcut, type what you’re looking for, hit Enter, and that’s it.

You can search globally through all commands, across nested categories. Short aliases work as well, so typing something like “ah” will match Auction House. There’s also a small built-in calculator that supports percentages and formatted numbers like $1,240,000 * 2.

[image: i.ibb.co]

This script is intentionally released as a boilerplate / template. The default command list is just an example. The real goal is for you to customize it: add your own pages, actions, categories, aliases, or remove anything you don’t need. Mine doesn't quite looks like this one anymore.

I’m releasing this version because I figured it could be useful or inspiring in a more general way, even if you only reuse parts of it in your own scripts.

TornCast runs entirely locally in your browser, doesn’t require any API access, and doesn’t send data anywhere.

You can find the script here: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/560082-torncast

Feedback, ideas, and improvements are welcome. Feel free to install it, tweak it, and make it your own.

Thanks for reading!


If you enjoy this kind of tool or have ideas for other useful scripts, feel free to reach out.

Kushisu [3818758]

the only real recommendations i have are making the hotkeys to open the prompt as well as the customization of commands more accessible

other than that, the script is super convenient when i'm using my laptop and can't be bothered with the track pad :)

DoobieSmokin [3255641]

+rep, Good Script. Well made, I wish I could click the options with my mouse lol but I get that kinda defeats the purpose a bit. Im just used to that XD. Yet another great tool to my toolbelt! Thanks!

IMLB [3947793]

Great script!

But actions seem to be kinda illegal, like we are not allowed to do javascript clicks, right?

Upsilon [3212478]

No, it doesn't click anything, if you want the process of how it works

1. I bind the url of a page to a name
2. The user open the menu -> One action
3. The user search the name linked to that specific page -> That's already far more actions than some other scripts btw
4. Then when he selects it, it just redirect the user to the page he chose -> Already three actions minimum

The rules of Torn states 1 click -> 1 action. Meaning globally 1 interaction -> 1 action.
That's how you end up (not with my scripts) with scripts that binds a shortcut to a page, it falls into the rules. 

It's really like a menu. You have options to select from and when you select an option it redirects you. No clicking the screen, no preloading pages, no weird things :)

Psilly [2117495]

This is so fucking cool.

I've only been playing with it for a few minutes and I can see right away that my customization is going to focus around getting as much of it as possible to work with left-handed input only, so I can keep right-hand on mouse.  For example alt-z or alt-r are unused, at least in my firefox, and don't require hand leaving mouse, like 'ctrl - k' , or 'alt - k' does.

 

[hotkey] + search 'F' gave me faction, like i'd hoped, but it wasn't a direct link to faction, instead it was an empty category, so i made that category just 'F' in the definitions and change 'Home' (which was for faction and not the home we're all used to as the sidebar button...itself also a right-handed input) to use 'faction' to go to where you'd expect.

[hotkey] + search 'C' ... renamed the category to just 'C' as above, and then created new link to the crimes hub page under 'Crimes'

 

...

 

Anyways, if you're looking for suggestions, it's definitely to streamline the input process to be less alphabet driven and more a mix of easy to remember key logic and easier to reach keys for the most used places in torn.... which brings to mind using 1, 2, 3, 4, etc as sort of customizable favorite places, as well...some kind of dynamic menu for that might go a super long way to helping this be immediately more usable for those not comfortable digging into the code to make their own commands.  All-in-all, a more usable, and user friendly out of the box setup might help this get more traction... but kept as-is, this is phenomenal.

 

Perhaps I will share the configuration I end up with after using it a little while, but all that aside, this is VERY exciting, thank you.