Edit: Tldr... I tend to ramble but the gist of the topic is
"Why is Torn is so appealing to us? Is it crime fantasy like GTA, is it real world experience? Is it the warring and gun game aspects? Or all of the above?"
What about Torn is attractive for you? Is it the gameplay? Is it the theme? The audience and community?
My question for y'all, what's your IRL Torn Experience?
Is it varied? Is it a once in a lifetime event? Is Torn simply a fantasy for you? Much like going to a movie to watch horror gore but in a game with crime and guns?
Did you watch too many old western Bonnie and Clyde movies? Do you watch true crime? What is it about Torn that makes it the go to game you keep opening up?
So full disclosure, I'm a 33yo Chicano Americano, born and raised in San Diego California USA. And recently we were talking about irl situations we have.
For example, I'm a married father of two (8yo and 2wk old) getting ready to move my family out to Texas. I have certifications as a Peer Support Specialist and as a Registered Behavior Technician. One day I'll explore a bachelor's in some sort of mental health area, sociology or behavioral psychology. Mental healthcare is a big area for me.
I've even written a small dissertation or manifesto or whatever you want to call it about life and mental health on my profile description. Read it if you want or if you can I wasn't kidding when I said it's small. It's small and in the clouds.
Now.
We see everything out here in San Diego. From the rich and the famous to the down and out.
We got Barrio Logan, we got La Jolla. We got casinos all over the Rez. Correct me if I'm wrong but we got the lbtq capital of the world, Hillcrest (where if you get lucky you might just meet one of your favorite retired 🌽 ⭐ if they stuck around after the Great Florida Migration). We got LA and Orange County attractions such as Hollywood and Disneyland in our backyard as well as the ever famous Beverly Hills. We have beaches, forests, deserts. We have Marines, Navy, and Air Force stations at Camp Pendleton, San Clemente, Mira Mar, and Coronado
We got Wild West vibes, Gothic Victorian, steampunk, characters from every genre and vibe we got punks, hipsters, lumberjacks, metalheads, goths, emos, sportfans, bangers, chicanos, ect ect
There's southern vibes, there's New York vibes, there's little China little Italy litle everything. (Inhales) There's...... Straightedge people, families, single and ready to mingle, tourists, multi generationals, first generation, there's blacks whites Asians Hispanics and Latinos, islanders, natives, Middle Easterns of every cloth, Europeans, foreigners of every flavor.
And of course... the behind the scenes irl grit and grime... Homelessness, drugs, violence, guns, knives, shivs, bar fights, and everything in between.
Did I mention we're a port city? So we also have resident citizens that are seals dolphins whales sharks seagull pelicans ect ect lolololol
So as far as I'm concerned, this is another gun game. We grew up with games like CoD and GTA. Except GTA was based out of reality like cities similar to LA and SD.
GTA is a real felony crime that people actually do for a living out here. It's not as crazy as the games or Hollywood make it, just boosting cars to a certain point in value.
Arson is also a major felony in the state of California. Yeah we don't mess with fire. Me and the wife have a joke about making pizza California style because we've accidentally forgotten it in the oven and it came out charred to a crisp.
As a recovering alcoholic I've seen the destructive force of alcohol and everything that came with it. I've also grown up with Hollywood glamorizing crime and drugs and violence and seeing it play out like a movie in real life sometimes.
Ever here the phrase "It seemed like something right out of a movie"?
Yeah that happens real often in cities out here.
Sometimes it's magical.
Sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's like a nightmare you can't wake up from.
And in an age where we decide what reality we want to live in, keeping my mind busy helps me decompress from the daily naunces that life tries to stress me out with. It also helps liven the mood. Reality might be scary but it's always been that way. And not everyone who knows about it, lives it.
Similar to ComicCon, Torn has its own convention, where people come together for friendly rivalry.
And I think thats what attracts me.
A meta world where instead of crime games like assassin's creed or Skyrim with its brotherhood and criminal activities, we have a modern take where we can compete and get our aggression out in healthy way without hurting each other's finances or health.
Do I sometimes wish that I lived in the old Wild West California?
Hell yeah. Get off my horse and beat the shit out of someone for acting stupid and no one bat an eye. Instead they would say, "Yup, that fella there done did deserve it."
But would I really want to live in a place where crime was actually a lifestyle? Some wild West nightmare with sepsis, grizzly bears, and no toilet paper? Some cyberpunk distopia where arms and organ trafficking was a thing?
Real life is scary enough thank you very much. And my life has seen its fair share.
Which brings me back to my original question but rehashed...
What is it about crime that attracts us?