I found it really young when it was TC beta circa 2005ish, It is like nostalgic and also became a communication hub with the world during covid when I popped my head back in.
IRL Torn Experience
Started by Tenebrius [3306634] on in General Discussion.
Posts archived: 42 / 42 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Not sure what we discussing here in this post, but my road to Torn has lead me to managing the OC's for my faction and let me tell you, keep spending as much nerve as you can, better CPR helps a lot with participation in Organized Crimes.
When I started playing Torn 7 years ago I was so painfully shy. I was asked to join a faction and while I think they were a lot more patient with me than I ever deserved, I will be forever grateful for the opportunities they gave me and how much they helped me learn and grown, not only in Torn, but in real life too. I lost and found a couple jobs over the last years, but Torn has always be a consistent companion. I outgrow my last faction and I found a new home and if you would have told me I would be leading in a big faction like this 7 years ago I would have never believed it.
This isn’t a text-based flight scheduling simulator?!
I tend to ramble but the gist of the topic is
"Why is Torn is so appealing to us? Is it crime fantasy like GTA, is it real world experience? Is it the warring and gun game aspects? Or all of the above?"
And thank you for this reply.
It's a real inspiration as to the game length and goals needed to keep at it
Torn is a very slow grind. With long term goals like these you will meet the people along the way you build connections with. As deep and immersive as Torn is, some part of the games might really speak to you and for some parts you don't care at all. While so many players focus on being competitive in battle stats, I personally don't care that much about them or the combat side of the game. I took over the pub, not planned but also a good thing that happened to me because that made me hyper focus more on crimes and was perfectly timed right when crimes 2,0 came out and just before the new OC system came out.
Each goal reached is a stepping stone to bigger and better goals you right now can't even dare to dream about. Be open for these situations and discover the parts of the game you do like and want to focus on. Torn is still actively in development and with new updates come new chances! :)
It appeals to us because of riveting interactions like these.
You were sent 10x Bottle of Beer from Shit with the message: Cheers
Mentions: Shit [2575070]
Also I wanted to try and see if anyone would say "I came here for the drugs man". I'm kidding... But not really
I've gotten varied responses about the gameplay and community reasons
But I haven't really seen people say point out the drug aspect of this game and addiction.
Which is huge! Like think about it, Xanax is the most popular drug in Torn. Everything else is essentially useless in comparison. Even downright detrimental.
But xanny? You can say that irl and in game that xanny makes it possible to have the energy to get through the day and still function.
Someone who isn't me (SWIM for short) used to self prescribe Xanax to get through the day until SWIM got caught with 30 unprescribed pills in SWIMs backpack.
Yet as commonplace as drugs are whether at work or at the club or bar, or on tv and movies....
No one here has yet to say they like the drug aspect and how we get to use them.
Because let's face it, addiction isn't cool.
One can say that Torn is a mirror to the real world, where addiction is well known but not talked about, where Xanax is needed to keep up, where no one is saying they've done loads of drugs but only because it was cool to do it for the merit. Lol
Torn is basically a variation on the very old computer game Hammurabi. It’s a resource management game. It really doesn’t matter what the resources you gather, use, store, or dispense are called. You face trade-offs in making your decisions. Plan accordingly, and don’t get hung up on what things are called.
(It’s okay though to lament the lack of a Zamboni for ice drifting down at the hockey rink for Racing.)
Stealing this…
Faction members must be thrilled with these newsletters.
Well thanks that's going to be noodling up in my brain rent free now
Them's is a lot of words I give no fucks about...
.
Now this is a real post...
Brother, I've been divorced twice. Mine went OK, no kids involved, but at the time it ripped me to pieces. Just the feeling that no one else knows the pain until you talk to other people that have been there. Helps you get through the shit...
Eventually you come out the otherside, and you are stronger. You don't jump in too quick anymore, but you are OK...
Be you brother, you know now you rock...
Real words from an honest person. Truly. I can't express how much that post impacted me.
After years of rehabilitation and therapy, I finally got some semblance of my life back. I got married, we moved in together, we have two kids now, and I still struggle with alcoholic tendencies and suffer from the symptoms and fallout of my schizophrenia.
Can I articulate my ideas? Sure on paper. On the inside it's relatively simple, never easy though.
I guess I write this because the wifey encourages me to do a podcast, which I've aspired to do for many years now. Will my thoughts and feelings ever impact those around me that I want to help? Will people ever be willing to just sit and listen to me....
.... This and more on your neighborhood forum.
Check out more on "Of Catalytic Converters and other things"
Brought to you by people like you. Thank you.
Mentions: Of Catalytic Converters...
Good man, face your shit and move through it...
Literally my signature
That was wild from beginning to end.
Guess some people have all the luck 😔👀👀👀
Torn's market is the most realistic business simulator. Every real-life business owner and marketer will agree with this. I don't understand why Torn has never marketed itself as a tycoon game as well. The audience for that is huge. There's a reason Monopoly is one of the world's most popular board games.