Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Berlin Pride

Started by Abes74 [2148095] on in General Non-related.

27 replies · 276 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
43 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
51 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Abes74 [2148095]

My heart goes out to all the family's  and friends of Berlin pride.

 

unfortunately one person dead and 16 injured when a vehicle plowed into them.

 

Hope they find who's responsible for this

Surreptitious [3819111]

It’s really upsetting to read about stories like this; it shows how depraved humanity truly can be.

 

My thoughts go out to everyone affected.

Celis [3855504]

The generational result of Hitler's homophobia. Magnus Hirschfeld weeps from his grave. 

 

Sending comfort to all who were hurt by this. Directly and indirectly. 

King108 [2798364]

I don't really think it's that. It's not the first time it's happened with really similar circumstances, like in the Monaco attack.

 

Some people are just full of shit

RedGobbo [3619801]

Yeah…I think you’ve succumbed to the institutional blindness of Academia on this one. This is not traditional German societal causality. The authorities have already announced the suspect is known to them as having fundamentalist Islamist links.

LiLJimmy525 [3186177]

humanity can be fucked up. a day that was supposed to be designated for happiness and lgbt celebration and instead someone who hated a group of people for just being who they are decided to murder them for it. I was planning to attend that, condolences go to everyone there.

xuim [3440396]

Dobrindt says: "The suspect we are dealing with had already been known to police."

He says the suspect had committed a number of crimes, had previously been radicalised and was known for being part of the Islamist scene.

Dobrindt adds that the suspect is a German citizen of Lebanese background. He says the suspect was born in Germany in 2004 and his mother was naturalised as a German citizen in 2002.

 

Not quite

Celis [3855504]

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! I bet Hirschfeld is still weeping in his grave, tho. :-( Queer Berlin deserves better.

xuim [3440396]

Absolutely heartbreaking for the families, especially because the suspect was already known to police, could’ve been avoided. 

Lolbits [2275419]

I know someone who was there, they were actually venting to me a few hours ago, horrifying shit, he was talking about how scared he is about how any of the sweet and caring people he met could be hurt or killed. This is why hate speech should be illegal (and is in germany), because it has real and genuine harm and radicalizes people to do shit like this.

 

I for one am glad that he wasn't there by the time it happened, the idea he was so close to that is so scary to me.

NuRaahl [3728561]

I too am glad your friend wasn't there, but laws against speech are not the way to go.

Here are a few quotes:

George Orwell: "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."

George Washington: "If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire): "I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

Noam Chomsky: "If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech for views you don't like."

Frederick Douglass: "To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker."

 

Hate speech lacks a clear, objective legal definition, meaning laws against it can be arbitrarily enforced depending on who holds political power. I don't think you would want the current U.S. administration to determin what is "Hate Speech."  Legitimate restrictions should only apply to direct, actionable threats or imminent incitement to lawless action, rather than generalized offensive language or heated rhetoric.

 

Speech that directly encourages another person to commit a crime can already be prosecuted under incitement.

 

*Edited for spelling

Lolbits [2275419]

hey its you!

quotes are stupid and I dont care what a bunch of old people say.

 

hate speech does lack a clear objective legal definition, and I assumed it was obvious what I meant when I literally referred to the fact that germany has laws against it. I am not talking about a trump ass law of "antifa are terrorists" where its super ambigous, I am talking about specific laws with rigid definitions made to avoid speech that calls for violence against groups, speech that dehumanizes groups, speech that spreads lies about groups (for example, that queer people are grooming your kids), and probably a few other things.

 

this is also NOT the space to argue about this, you are welcome to dm me if you want to talk but wait for the body to stop being warm before you whine about the words of people who are grieving you inconsiderate dickhead