Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Magic the gathering

Started by Iscamn00bs [2113321] on in Hobbies & Interests.

14 replies · 113 views · thread synced · yesterday · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
10
Likes on archived posts
3
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
27 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
35 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100
Iscamn00bs [2113321]

Thinking about playing again irl. I think my options are play fnm which I think the only formats I can do locally are duel commander. If you got any list for this or just any fun stuff to share about magic the gathering plz reply and post. I'm so lonely and isolated since people think I shouldn't be able to chat. How do I get myself back into the world or out of this funk where I just wanna dissolve. Please scavenging come remove me.

Demitori [2152427]

i enjoy magic the gathering im not as formular with commander as standard though. i have played commander with a friend its not that hard you commander sits out of the deck while you play from my understanding and you can only have 1 of each card in your deck besides base lands

RagingNerd [4339839]

Commander has become very popular the past few years. I think most MTG sites have a commander section if you search for it. 

 

Competetive decks:

MTG Goldfish: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/commander#paper

MTG Decks: https://mtgdecks.net/Commander

 

Ranking of commanders:

Moxfield: https://moxfield.com/decks/oEWXWHM5eEGMmopExLWRCA

 

Sites devoted to just commander:

EDHREC: https://edhrec.com/

 

If you just want to play casual or competetive magic online (no commander yet though), there is always MTGArena; https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

It's free to download and play but microtransactions are a very big part of it if you wanna play limited formats. 

 

Hope some of this can be of use!

19Janus80 [4384169]

I just got back to MTG after a break of round about 30 years. I was totally confused about the new formats and game mechanics. But here I am, addcited to the game :D I'm playing commander at my local games store every friday.

Ken_Ichinaka [3312334]

Played way back in the early days. I play EDH now with my sons (in their 30s) and my dad (in his 70s).

 

I play Slivers. Always Slivers.

Ken_Ichinaka [3312334]

I would agree with that ... if it's a Sliver Queen combo deck, but a common or garden Slivers deck is easily dealt with. A couple of boardwipes and I'm toast. I don't play any tutors or game-changers so it's a fair, bracket 2 deck.

Manly [1913794]

It's worth getting into, and there's plenty of ways to do it. I like to own the cards and I've always had a knack for collecting. It is getting more expensive to play and be a part of, but even with my collection, I'm not above proxying cards. 

 

Imo commander is the simplest format, but there's plenty of people that still play modern/standard

Iscamn00bs [2113321]

I don't know why they didn't take the chance when post Malone paid 2 million for the one ring. To use that absurdity and his name recognition to do some kind of pro play.

 

They should have prize support and make it lucrative to play. All collectibles are just whale farms with no prize support. When I started playing at 12. They had tournaments and ways to grind for packs and game pieces. I believe the world winner had a 1 million dollar pot. 

 

Would be cool if they had some form of game that had awesome coverage and prizes. 

 

It's magic the gathering, you'd think they go in on the gathering aspect and do decent tournaments and prize recognition.

 

The game is so complex its a touring machine 

Cardinal_Frosty [4021785]

Look up a local Facebook group for your city, there are about three different ones for my area. If your trying to play a specific format but in paper there are a TON of Webcam discord and a few streamers that host paper magic as well!

snowbeast [2173158] Moderator Official

I got back into mtg around this time last year after 20-25 years away from it. 
I was hoping to get back into standard but my lgs only plays commander so whipped up a deck and just rocked up to the lgs on game night. 
The commander crowd is very chilled and happy to help you get into the game. 

If I could do it over again, I’d buy a precon as my first deck instead of trying to build one. So much easier and cheaper as well. 

Ken_Ichinaka [3312334]

Pretty much how I got back into it. Used to LOVE FNM but when I came back that was practically non-existent. I bought the five two-colour starter commander decks and still use them (unaltered) when I fancy a change from Slivers. I have a few homemade decks; Eldrazi, Memnarch, Phelddagrif, Shorikai, Ghoulcaller and Runo but they require far too much attention with tons of triggers that I CBA to keep track of.

snowbeast [2173158] Moderator Official

I've kept things simple.

Play two decks, both mono red.

Krenko mob boss and zada, hedron grinder.

Both cheap to assemble and people hate me playing both. 

Been a bit busy recently so haven't played much or built anything new.