Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Ranked War Matching and Ranks

Started by TestPedroDev [3613560] Admin on in General Discussion.

2,286 replies · 14.8k views · thread synced · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 2,287 / 2,287 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Overseer [2143302]

Most factions that war weekly term often. You already know the brutalist factions that war weekly and don't term. Plenty of older, lower activity factions that still fit the millions of respect criteria that war biweekly or at least term often. 

No shame in admitting you like the faction, but you should understand why nobody is going to recommend a small faction to an ambitious noob. 

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

Realistically how many noobs are ambitious. I've heard 1 out of 10 but not sure if that's a hyperbole. Watched a roster of noobs pumped and dumped off a 3m R faction last week, while I kept mine.

 

We come back to the difference between the elites and the plebs, the competitive and the casual players.

 

I focus on noobs and casual players. You focus on elites and competitive players.

 

The committee is made up of competitive players from competitive factions. I am a competitive player, too. I choose to not be part of the elites.

 

But the wad changes can't just be for the elites and the competitive players. Else you'd have 100 enlisted factions with 10% in Diamond... That would be 1 faction. Pretty sure that would greatly suck for you.

 

You rely on us enlisting now. We make more diamond factions just by existing and enlisting. Our voices should be heard too.

Broxogar [2728258]

You're not a hero for terming down in Silver.

Neither are any of the Diamond factions who term week after week saturating the supply of caches and making it less profitable to fight real wars.

As has been pointed out multiple times, Diamond factions who choose to spend all the money paying other factions to help them win wars have done it to themselves, the rest of Torn shouldn't be responsible for 'subsidising' the cost of those wars through constant terming of wars.

Edit: I get that pre-changes a LOT of wars were just ridiculously one sided and terming was basically a necessity.  The same argument can't be made now.

Pinguux [2331130]

"Realistically how many noobs are ambitious"

 

Actually I've found many young players are very ambitious and some of my best members are younger players..

 

"I focus on noobs and casual players. You focus on elites and competitive players."

 

Those "noobs" can and are competitive (not all of them but I've found a lot of smaller players can have amazing activity)

 

"The committee is made up of competitive players from competitive factions. I am a competitive player, too. I choose to not be part of the elites."

 

You've said in the past you have no interest in being a "elite" so I don't know where this is coming from..

 

There is nothing wrong with taking a more casual approach to Torn, it's a game that can be played in many ways but you have to remember this is how you choose to play this game, noone else is making you play it this way..

 

Also ofcourse your voice should be heard, it's been heard about 1.4 million times in this thread already 🤣

 

Also to all the people saying the committee is a echo chamber (it very well might be) this thread is a fucking echo chamber at this point..

 

It's the same names popping up over and over again arguing about the same things over and over again..

 

If we don't give these new changes a chance then we wont get any new changes and it'll just stay the same forever which I know alot of your do not want..

 

Just give it a chance 👀

Beerstein [1322136]

You coulda said anything after this and gotten upvotes.

 

You're not a hero for terming down in Silver.

 

Coulda said "You're not a hero for terming down in Silver. Also, RL murder is good" and gotten upvotes.

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

We term about half, similar to what Beerstein has said they do in Diamond. The termed wars pay for the untermed wars basically.

 

I was reading some of the old war pay suggestions/discussions from the last year or two and someone wrote that "Silver is the streets" and hard agree lmao.

 

It's difficult to get people in Silver to term. 🫠 Most don't have alliance backing so some are hesitant to term due to previous bad terms or term breaking. Others war for glory so don't term for moral reason I guess. I don't particularly care if we term or not week to week as long as we are making enough money to cover supplies.

 

Staying under ranked we can simply choose to concede without terms after getting our target score. That's my only real goal each week is to get to max loser rewards.

Landgull [3703758]

Because there is too little positive feedback - I thought our match this past week was very reasonable in terms of stats and activities. We got smashed because they coordinated and executed their strategy extremely well and we underperformed what we're capable of, but it was a fair and winnable match across most metrics. We also picked up some new tricks to use against future opponents. 

My missives about match-fixing Termites in this thread aside, I am optimistic based on what I've seen that these changes are going to lead to better matches on average. Unfortunately the changes came right before a training break so we won't get to see our personal trend for a bit, but I'm still feeling positive about these changes. We've seen and heard from a couple of outlier factions, but for the majority the changes appear beneficial. Hopefully in a month or two when it starts to settle out, the system will have a better idea of how to properly match the outliers.

We do biweekly real diamond wars just like our trout-brained brothers and sisters. We don't term even when we are completely outmatched, so this change is great for us if it means fewer times that we are having to punch way up, or smash way down. I don't personally know what kind of black magic our leadership pulls off to pay for it all, but I will say I've noticed they have far fewer SE's taken than their peers in the leadership of factions we match with. And our OCs are incredibly well run.

ETA: A big thank you to Pedro for sticking with reading 70+ pages of this thread and interacting with the community and clearly caring about creating a better system, despite the shade that he has gotten thrown his way from some corners.

yak [3301882]

+1 to what Landgull said, I feel matchmaking is noticeably better (for the most part) this week, so great job to staff there.

What I fear is too tight a bound for how far a faction can rise or drop based off of performance (eg. great performance, but not enough stats), which might end up leading to more terming not less.

- Factions who find they won't drop lower than an "acceptable" (to them) rank in Plat or even low Diamond might just start terming even more losses (which are more profitable on a per 25E basis, especially if there's no repercussions of less caches next war).

- Factions who find they can't rise higher than a certain rank due to their limited stats, even when they are winning their wars, might feel real warring is pointless if they are hard stuck and limited in rewards due to that.

Overseer [2143302]

I just got around to reading all this. Its pretty funny, i may be in a “competitive elites” faction but I am far from what Torn or any competitive factions consider competitive.

 

I sometimes maintain 2 xan a day, occasionally a third slips in by chance. I forget refills all the time, and my money is 95% passive. Im not a top hitter, used to be but those days are behind me. Hell my stats arent even that good for my age, ive just been playing long enough they crept up.

 

Realistically, Im more casual than VG at this point 😂 

 

But honestly, some of the most ambitious players I've ever met were noobs. I met DarthRevan when he was a few weeks old maybe? Look at him. My spouse Mes was an awesome noob, hes now something like 2b around 2 years in. 

Yea, torn should cater a bit to the casuals, but the casuals dont all care about every aspect of the game being perfect, or making the most money out of everything- theyre casuals. The fact that you, me,  VG or any of these other fucks are in GD and this thread means we give 2 fucks more than the average casual and are probably atleast in 1 of the 3 higher activity brackets (from the old playerbase report ched/ltwolf did). 

 

 

TestPedroDev [3613560] Admin Staff

too tight a bound for how far a faction can rise or drop based off of performance

 

Absolutely a valid concern and something we're watching closely. Fair to say also probably the point I've had the most private feedback about. We are not at this point today: outside of Diamond III (or Plat III + size gated), 2 out of ~1,800 factions are currently at the top of their cap, and neither of them have been mentioned in this thread or have reached out. There's a simple solution (just change the cap size) and there are more exotic solutions (allow a bit of drift between division placement and matchmaking) but it's definitely something we've known will need our attention since day one.

 

Of the many other things we're keeping an eye on, for me I think the other thing that I'm most curious about is: can we continue to provide enough variance in who you're matched with? Simulations say yes, but let's see how it goes in practice (sub-point: if this happens, does it end up being a bad thing in practice?). This one is mostly just a problem at the top of the upper-end, although there are also other places where the pool is naturally thin (100-player very new factions, for example).

 

 

 

 

yak [3301882]

Appreciate the response, and your thoughtful intent.

Would you be able to share how many factions are at the bottom of their cap? (eg. not able to drop any further because their stats are too high)

Woogleen [2808960]

No we call factions that have no perks, no stats, leadership that knows fuck all about the game noob traps. No one even called your spouses faction a noob trap just identified that they would easily be able to match most weeks due to being in range and rank to get paired against noob traps.

TestPedroDev [3613560] Admin Staff

Everyone gets a prize! I do worry that an update later today will restore the rankings though and you may see your position fall back to where you'd expect it to.