Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Does torn have inflation?

Started by TornSlaer8 [3225129] on in Questions & Answers.

11 replies · 174 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 12 / 12 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
12
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
15
Authority score
46 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
37 / 100
Engagement score
65 / 100

Most-liked replies

TornSlaer8 [3225129]

since more money gets added into the torn economy every second through many ways. Does torn have inflation?

I know there are money sinks; church, buying from npcs, casino, rehab etc. but surely these don't nearly get rid of enough money for torn NOT to have inflation. Bank investments alone probably outscale all money sinks combined i'd imagine.

GarethJewel [2937426]

Just from my subjective view I would say yes, theres some manner of inflation over time and its probably not as bad as it could be. I'm actually curious now to look at a mix of items charts long term, but I'm flying right now. My guess is some items do have huge drops in price, the cumulative long term trend will always likely be somewhat upward.  

You mentioned a few money sinks but theres some like players hoarding items or money long term and potentially going inactive is one I wonder how much impact it has. They also do things like adjusting the prices of items and the sellback price that have huge effects on the economy, the biggest being points.  

They have a developer who's sole focus is listed as economy so I imagjne its somethjng they are constantly monitoring and doing misc things to keep inflation and deflation under control to some extent. one of the most interesting things for me about Torn is the player driven economy and people agreeing to prices well outside the buyback price on some things and not others. It was also interesting seeing the recent post about player collections and it was interesting to see how many items there are that one person could apparently tank the price on if they wanted to.  

Im not sure if theres anything out there other than the occasional news articles that looks at Torns wider economy fluctuations, but Id like to see it if there is. 

LegendaryKing11 [2804919]

https://www.torn.com/economic_reports/AUG2024.pdf

 

Yeah, they want to keep annual inflation below 20%, this is a pretty old economic report (can't find the 2025 one). Even if the total money supply inflates by ~20% per year, the effect isn't really felt much, since every day more new players are joining in to take a share from the money pool, while old players quit and leave their funds dormant. 

 

Many core commodities in Torn has a controlled pricing, for example, xanax price is controlled by oversea stock prices which usually ends up at around 830k per piece when sold in market, which's the rate for many years. So you don't really feel the impact of inflation much

 

Torn's money faucet is really controlled. The biggest money printer is probably from companies, bank, stocks and perhaps organised crimes. The others aren't really significant faucets outside of these. Casino is a big sink for sure, buying SE from city shop is another example, fees from item market and auction house. These are also pretty significant money sinks. 

 

TornSlaer8 [3225129]

That's true, I was thinking about that too earlier after I posted. That banned players or inactive players are also money sinks.

I had a look at the xanax price and it has been pretty consistently been around 850k since 2013. Seems like 2013 is when they started monitoring item prices. even though the xanax circulation has an exponential trend.

I think items definitely have inflation. lotta junk items with no purpose and high circulation that go down in price over time, mostly clothing items for example or low tier weapons. Although itnerestingly enough, things like sweaters remain around 200 even tho npc's only pay you 25 for it


TornSlaer8 [3225129]

Interesting, I also wonder how things like donator packs impact the torn economy but i'm gonna take a look at these charts tomorrow. gotta g to bed soon

Albertoo [114591]

When I started playing, it’d take a year to buy your first mansion, and the Palace was the most expensive home (that I don’t think anyone owned at the time). ‘Search for cash’ was a viable way to make money, and people would have laughed at you if you told them that torn would have multi billionaires and trillionaires one day.

 

of course, a lot of that is because of a massively growing player base generating more money, but at the end of the day, yes. 

Torn has experienced a wild amount of hyper inflation due to caches, donator packs being tradable goods, and just more players. 

Knirt [3033570]

A very large amount of money ends up in stocks blocks.  As this happens it is effectively removed from circulation and most of the time it's returned in items that are consumed or traded to other players.   Often ending up in stocks.  Lots of liquid cash is burned in the casino and a good bit in fees for the market and stock trading.   Still I think the vast bulk of cash gets invested into long term investments.   

 

Outside the bank most investments that pay in liquid cash takes longer to pay for its self than a good amount of people play the game.  It would be interesting to know just how much money is removed from the economy by players who save heavily for a couple years then just stop playing.   With oc 2.0 were now adding a good amount of liquid cash into the game.   I'm curious how the devs will attempt to remove this.  It gives a great deal of cash to longer term players who are less likely to stop playing.   This is not good or bad in general but does add to overall growth of liquid capital into the economy.   You can see this in several places where the lower end or mid tier items lose value but the top end game items continue to rise as more people see these items within reach.  The more advanced players are growing more wealthy.   Not just because their rich but because their earnings have increased despite the cash prices falling. 

TornSlaer8 [3225129]

this is what I thought as well, 


I'd also like to mention off topic in general that the education costs are way too low

and the stock benefit that decreases the price for the education courses is a laughable dividend. they need to update that.


 

Also another side tangent wouldn't it be interesting if they added forex?

GarethJewel [2937426]

Somebody mentioned companies ans I didnt even think abiut that as a money sink. 

 

Because of advertising costs I would bet 90% of company types dont make any money unless theyre selling trains or charging a tax. Even the ones doing that, it probably cancels out for the most part as the money getting being "made" is being balanced by burning a good deal on advertising. I'd love to see the actual ROI on companies once taxes and/or trains are accounted for. Some of them Im sure just break or make a tiny amount because people just want the perks even if the perks dont "make" money at all and just allow the players to mug morez or get better training gains, etc....  

 

Ive often wondered why they dont seem to have any interest in balancing the companies because "advertising" really skews it, but maybe its because thats a big control on inflation.