Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

High school to college

Started by dloxy [4361628] on in General Non-related.

11 replies · 66 views · thread synced · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 12 / 12 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
12
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
11
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
39 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
42 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100
dloxy [4361628]

Hey guys! I graduated highschool not to long ago (WOOOOOO!!!) and about to start college. Is there any tips I can get from the older and wiser people? Im genuinely scared but excited for college since I'm gonna be able to sleep on campus, party, ect. 

 

Ill be happy to get any advice, congrats, or whatever you wanna say lol 

 

Thank you!

DefilingDemon [700846]

Always so your research first....

 

That way you don't seem like a total pleb by doing or saying something stupid..

 

Like posting in Q&A for something Real world instead of Non Related 

SaltyBread [4114353]

Congratulations on finishing high school!

 

Defiling does have a point though, q&a forum is meant for game questions. Please ask in a non-related forum

Drowned [3303958]

Congrats! 

 

Sadly I can't really provide any reliable advise since I'm still in highschool myself, but maybe you can learn some essential life skills beforehand? I feel that'd be helpful, especially if you're going to a college that's far from home. 

 

But anyways, I hope you have a nice college experience and gl :D

_Mikeyy [4481555]

Make friends. This is a pretty known info but having connection is extremely useful for many things. It's been a year since I started my college life and I know a bunch of seniors , people from different faculty and they have helped me a ton in lots of things.

 

And congratulations!! Have fun in your life mate

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

Go to the group study sessions. They're not really about studying but making connections with your peers and sharing information that isn't just about your classes. 

dloxy [4361628]

I need to find new people. 

 

They were right about having 1 and maybe 2 true friends after high school. I started high school with a friend group of around 7 people,

now I have one true friend that's always been by my side. the rest of the 6 went on to finding other friend groups, starting drama within 

our friend group we had already, and some that just ghosted out of nowhere.

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

Yeah that's pretty typical. Don't try to hard too stay connected to them. Time passes, people move on. Adulting is pretty lonely business. 

Apolinus [3017918]

However much you think you need to study for the exam, double it and use that as a starting point.

 

Understand that your feeling of knowledge will increase to an artificially high level once you feel like you've seen all of the words that will likely be on the test.   But being able to recognize all the words that will likely be on the test is not the same as being able to understand the concepts; you need about 100% more study time (or more) to get to a proper level of comprehension.

 

Do not let AI do your thinking for you.  It's shit at thinking unless you already know the material well enough to evaluate its output at a faculty level; if you were that level of expert, you could engineer prompts to get it to think well, and then evaluate the output to check it.  But since you don't know the material that well, it's going to be garbage in, garbage out.

 

So do your thinking for yourself.  Write your own assignments, write your own papers.   You can use the AI to help you find sources, and you can have it grade what you do produce, make suggestions, and go through revision cycles until it gives you an 'A'.   (But always apply your judgement to the revisions, and never let AI to write the revisions for you.)

 

Everything in moderation.  Pay attention to whether you're drinking too much, and do something about it.  Pay attention to whether you're not studying enough, and do something about it.  

 

Shower once daily at a minimum, more if you get dirty or sweaty.

 

That stripper doesn't love you.  That's how she makes her money.