Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Grave

Started by Th3Budtender [1649861] on in General Discussion.

23 replies · 281 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 24 / 24 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
24
Discussion span
→
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
35 / 100
Story score
54 / 100
Engagement score
62 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

bogie [148747] Admin Staff

What's the question here? o_O

You're referring to the "friends list" mechanic, a thing for letting you tag players that you want to see when they're online and whatnot...

Feel free to have as many friends as you want, but if you act as petty in your forum post there as you do in social situations I doubt it's going to get you many...
1958872 [1958872]

Torn is an MMO. The second M meaning multiplayer. But it's not a social network. Ched doesn't even have all our addresses on file. And I've heard it's a pretty bad place for online dating too :p
Swatsicle [1593313]

DO YOU ALWAYS MAKE THREADS WITH A FULLY CAPITALIZED TITLE?

If you have a tiny piece of paper to write the name of all of your friends down, does this mean you can only have as many friends as the space on the paper allows?
Beerstein [1322136]

Depends on how you look at it and use it. If you're social enough or maintain social connections through it it the game can be a backdrop for a social media presence. The layout is really good for it like social media with spice. That's why I think Ched should consider putting any future games like the other one he created inside this one either as an independent accessible aspect (accessible in or outside game) or as a linked aspect influenced by this one. It creates a community people may not be as quick to walk away from.

Anyways as someone that doesn't use things like Facebook or Twitter my last job application that asked for what social media I used as the ability to communicate in this manner was important to them. I put Torn and a link to my WoT forum profile both areas I'm highly socially active and participate in. I got the job so it seemed to work. Not everyone chooses to communicate in the same manner or over the same platforms but it doesn't mean they aren't doing so at all.
Mat-Senpai [952164]

weird, I somewhat agree with OP in that torn "is" a social media site, hadn't considered the notion before

to the question, it's a mechanic, like all mechanics you'll unlock it once you've invested the effort.
JussiJernkuuk [1874922]

I think you have misunderstood the concept of what a friend is. The easiest way of making friends here is probably by joining a faction and being social there.
Unknown_Element [450910]

i can totally understand that and i know quite a few incuding me on rare occasions where the only reaason they still play the game is for the social aspect of it, but almost all of us started playing because it was a game and not a social platform.
JustJanet [911066]

The social aspect of the game is important to your success in the game. It is really difficult to be successful in this game without at least a core group of friends supporting you with their experience. Sometimes it isn't even support through cash.. just support through making sure you think of all aspects of the game. There are so many avenues to pursue while playing the game it can be easy to overlook key components that allow you to thrive. Having a few 'coaches' helping you out makes all the difference in your success. However, you don't necessarily need a friend list in order to utilize your friends. I didn't even realize I could use a friend's list the first few weeks - months of my game! I asked a friend what it meant when I saw I had 17 friends and 3 enemies. I thought there had to be some check box people were checking of for or against me. I only asked because I knew who my three enemies were and I wanted to make sure I checked all of them off as having enemies too! lol! (Felt a bit vindictive!) So then the friend I asked explained... Not using the list didn't keep me from making friends... and back then you had to tag people if you want to see them online. So that aspect wasn't even really utilized the same back then... although I kind of think I remember the tag list was not considered the friend/ or enemies list? It might not have even been a donator feature... although I am fairly certain I had a DP almost as soon as I started playing so perhaps I just never recall not having it? Someone with a better memory than I should speak on that though.



oh and it is linked to social media via your Facebook account if you are interested in that. So there are definitely aspects of social networking within the game. The difference is that this is a game and you do not always present your reality here. So in the sense of socializing.. you are socializing with a persona here... not necessarily an actual person. In real life I would never use any drugs, but here I run a faction called Phat_Buds. In real life the only person who would have a clue if I liked being tied up or not, is my old man. Here, it appears that I might like it. I also assume that in real life Unknown Element and KrackFreak are probably not so vindictive that they spend a huge portion of their cash on beating down strangers that irritate them... They might envision it in their brains but I bet they decide to use their hard earned real life money on better things. So keep in mind that what is here isn't necessarily real life. In that sense, it's not true social networking.